Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

automatic door openers

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Rhiannon, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

hi guys, Im looking for an automatic door opener for my chicken coop for when Im not there at dusk/dawn. Ive been told I cant get one for my coop as it is a ramp door and will need to be converted to a sliding vertical door which it cant as the apex roof will block it.
    surely there must be a product for ramp doors as its one of the most popular models, something like a drawbridge lowering system?

any one know of anything like this and where I can get one?

2. Cascara

Cascara PetForums Member

Personally I don't like automatic openers. Sometimes chickens get left out or a fox still gets in on a dark cloudy day. You can always open the coop later when you get up but putting them back in may be a problem. We got round the problem by adding a small run that was very secure and leaving the door open so they bring themselves out and into the smaller outside area, and then depending on our schedule we let them out and in from there.

3. symball

symball PetForums Newbie

the VSB door opener should work as a draw bridge too- although you will probably need a pulley and some adaptation. I don't have much of a problem with opening and shutting as my girls are always in bed long before the door cuts in. It is modifiable anyway.

4. zoejames

zoejames PetForums Junior

is it for ducks or chickens?

5. symball

symball PetForums Newbie

It will work for both- you can either use your own door or the one that is sold by the suppliers. I had a door that was easily adapted, so I have not seen the ones sold with the door openers.

I bought mine from wells poultry supplies- their online shop is pretty comprehensive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice