Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

automatic cat feeder

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by horsykatie, Mar 22, 2017.

1. horsykatie

horsykatie PetForums Junior

which automatic feeders do people recommend for multi cat households currently trying keep our dog away from there food but proving tricky with a cat that has recently lost a leg

2. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

image.jpg
    Hi Hun.my Yogi is disabled due to illness. He can only jump the height of a kitchen chair. And that is pretty recent. In the last year. We have to put our cat food up on a worktop and we have a cat tree that has a ladder on it. And one nextto it but that's optional. I also because his back legs are weak have one of those jml mats so his legs don't splay or he doesn't slip. But my cat tress I had to wait for them to be made. You could possibly look for pet steps to get up higher or make them yourself. Here is how it works for us. Even now Yogi will cry to be picked up for his food lol. I can't answer about the automatic feeders as I've never had one.

Viv xx

3. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

The Sureflap Microchip feeder is supposed to be good but is pricey

Torin. and vivien like this.
  4. horsykatie

well out of budget with 4 cats x

5. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

Well any other feeders are not going to stop the dog from getting at the food... it's a tricky one! Hopefully someone else can come up with a suggestion

vivien likes this.
  6. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

@horsykatie I was going to suggest the microchip feeder, the other ones just open up at a specific time so your dog could still eat it, I would go along with what @vivien said and maybe put the food higher up or in a separate room where the dog can't get it? :)

Hope someone can help!

vivien likes this.
  7. horsykatie

i could put him in his crate when timer is due to go off and say set it for 5am then 11.00 and again in the evening at 6pm etc

8. horsykatie

and he gets underneath baby gates etc

9. oliviarussian

oliviarussian Meeoow!

vivien likes this.
  10. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Having tried the CatMate one (cats on different feeding schedules) I can't recommend it - my boy cat can open/break it and all other types on timers: I've tried them all.

However, totally agree with this, above: The Sureflap Microchip feeder is supposed to be good but is pricey.

My cat sitter has just given me this one to try, as my small girl needs to free-feed without my greedy male cat getting to the food or wrecking the feeder. It is absolutely brilliant - you don't even need the microchip number to hand as the feeder simply reads and stores it as the cat moves close to the machine. As girl cat puts her head under the clever arch (think Wembley Stadium!) the lid opens, and when she moves away it closes. The whole thing is quite heavy so boy-cat can't knock it to the floor.

I don't know the price (about to check, as I need to give my sitter some money for it!) but I truly think it's worth it, whatever it costs. Maybe see if you can get one cheaper on Amazon or eBay?

vivien likes this.
  11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Are you just trying to keep the dog away from the cat food or other cats away from each others food ? If the former why not put a cat flap into a cupboard or internal door so the cats have access to the space and the dog doesn't. If the dog is similar sized to the cats then use a microchip door.

Alternatively feed the injured cat in a separate room.

Torin. and vivien like this.
  12. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

We have 2 sureflap feeders for our 2 cats, can't recommend them enough.

however the cheap option is just to feed the cats in a different room or on a table or kitchen surface. I have a couple of friends who do that

Torin. likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have 4 Sureflap microchip feeders for my cats and they are brilliant. :) I can't imagine how I ever managed without them. (No more of one cat stealing another cat's food;)) Cheapest price at present is about £69.99 from Amazon.

Otherwise I would do what others have suggested i.e. feed the cats on worktops or shelves you install, so the dog can't reach the food.

Or feed the cats in a separate room and fit a catflap to the door of the room so the dog can't get in there. If you don't want to cut a hole in the actual door, buy a really cheap door from a DIY store and hang it on the door frame so it opens the opposite way to the existing door (i.e so it opens outwards not inwards).

#13 chillminx, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  14. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

What a brilliant idea with the door! Clever girl chillminx! :)

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice