Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Auto waterer, large bowl or?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpicyBulldog, May 20, 2017.

1. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums VIP

I'm thinking about getting the waterers which hold a gallon of water. Not sure if this would be necessary or if anyone uses them. Seems convenient.
    It would be useful over night or if I'm away? Wouldn't have to fill as often as their current bowls. A large bowl would work for that too but take up more space.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

How many dogs do you have? That is an awful lot of water for 12 or evn 24 hours

MiffyMoo likes this.
  3. SpicyBulldog

It would be for individual dog, there are smaller ones also. But it is supposed to last longer than a day, that is what I mean by not having to fill often. If it last a week great. But they make half gallon and 1 qt ones also.

4. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Water lasting a week? It'd have dust, hairs ect in it and spit back in it. I only have to touch the bottom of my twos water dish after a day and it's slimy. Can't be healthy to go a week on the same water :Hungover

Edited to add: just realised you might have meant the fountain type bowls, an elderly friend has one and her dog likes it. Doesn't take up much space but holds a fair bit of water.

5. SpicyBulldog

I don't really think it'd last that long lol. Maybe a few days. I am not she if that's what I man because I don't know what type of bowl that is. Do you have link?

6. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

7. SpicyBulldog

8. Maria_1986

Maria_1986 Crazy Guinea Pig Lady

I had one like this as I was looking after a few large dogs for a while and thought it would be good as one of them drank a lot due to a health issue- the dinning room floor got soaked instead as it got knocked over. The bowl got quite slimy and horrible quickly too. Its in the loft and I doubt I will use it again.

I prefer the torus bowl (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cve/Heyrex-Torus-Ultimate-Water-Bowl-B-ue-Bowl/B00DSHX7MU ) as the water can be turned off and the bowl cleaned. It also filters the water and seems to keep it nice and cool.

9. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I guess it depends on what you define as "often".

TBH I have always given my dogs fresh water daily (as well as my cats, horses etc) as water bowls attract detritus.

I do not consider that often.

Magyarmum likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice