Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Austin

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by New Puppy Mum, Oct 23, 2012.

1. I am worried about his quality of life :(
    He is very thin and he isn`t eating a lot anymore he`s losing a lot of fur too and has bald patches. He is shuffling around now :( He is 2yrs 7mths
    Is he okay? I haven`t any pics but can try and get some later

2. blade100

blade100 PetForums VIP

This happened to my Syrian who was over two years. She stopped eating and went very thin.
    I took her to the vets and they said it was old age and if she's not eating (I tried all sorts of yummy soft foods) then basically I should let her go because she wasn't eating her body was wasting away.
    I couldn't bare to see her get worse so had her put to sleep.

The way I see it if an animal isn't eating and drinking and declining then you have to do what's right by the animal.
    As long as it's not a treatable issue such as teeth over grown etc.

3. He is still eating (just gave him a seed bar which has been nibbled at) just not very much :( Will try giving him softer foods

4. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Try some scrambled eggs or porridge.He is quite old for a hamster though isn't he?

5. Yes he is. He is 3 years old on 27th March 2013 :)
    Although I can`t imagine losing him :(

6. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I often wish small furries lived longer than they do.

7. Same here :( These years have flown by!

8. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

I would try him on soft foods a little peanut butter, banana, baby foods it'll help a little but it does sound like old age I'm sure hes had a wonderful life and will enjoy you spoiling him to the end

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice