Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aural haematoma - if I spelt that correctly!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jo Basset, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Jo Basset

Jo Basset PetForums Newbie

Hi Folks,

Have just had a re-occurrence of an aural haematoma in my basset hound - basically pouch in the ear flap filled with blood. My vet (who is excellent) has managed to drain the swelling and has injected the ear flap with steroid to reduce the swelling and control the bleeding.

I just wondered if anyonme else has had this problem - what is annoying is that there seems to be no cause - usually it is due to scratching or shaking due to ear mites, but his ears are fine. There is always the chance that as he has long ears they simply get hurt while he is running and playing, but no way can I keep him on a lead as he is very fit and active.

So, any advice on prevention would be gratefully received!

2. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

Soory to hear of the problem, i hope you get a resolve asap
    :)

3. Jo Basset

Thanks - it hasn't re-filled yet, so hoping that maybe one lot of draining and injections will solve it:(

On the bright side, at least we haven't had to resort to surgery yet - have heard from friends that many vets go in stright away to operate, which is always a little risky, even with an otherwise healthy dog.

4. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

hmm...

I don't like the idea of vets jumping straight in to operate when there could be other possible efective solutions
    :rolleyes:

Have you tried a google search on preventions??

5. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Awww I really hope the vets can get this sorted without having to have operations.....send him warm cuddles from me.

6. Jo Basset

Thanks for the messages - I will try a google search, must admit I hadn't thought to do that, very good idea. :)

7. plumo72

plumo72 PetForums VIP

Tell me about it! Our staffie was being sick for two days and we took her the vet. They said it's either a blockage in her intestines or she's been poisoned. Well her bloods came back clear so she had an x-ray. I got a phone call saying they could see something suspicious in there so they would need to cut her open, which i obviously agreed to.

When we went to pick her up they said there was nothing there and she's got stomach ulsers :mad:. So we where left with a dog that was in agony and a £352 vet bill and she was still being sick. They gave her drugs to line her stomach and she was fine after that.

8. jaychatt

jaychatt PetForums Newbie

i used to be a vets nurse and have seen lots of these in all different breeds. labradors seemed to be popular and they dont have same long ears. its just like getting a giant blood plister. usual cause is ear mites or infection but just rough play or running and the ears getting bashed about can cause it.

9. shell

shell PetForums Newbie

my lab x zak has them quite regularly, because he is such a big baby, the vet usually ends up having to knock him out, fit a draining tube and bandage his whole head:eek:

the last time, he used a bright yellow bandage:mad:

he had one last week, swollen to the size of a plum, but he wasn't overly concerned with it, so i left it, and it has gone now. he usually does lots of head shaking before it happens, so i kind of know if ones on its way...i just love helping to pay for my vet's new BMW:rolleyes:

10. Jo Basset

Hi folks,

Update re my basset is that one lot of draining/injections seems to have done the trick.

Thankfully they manage to do the drainage without sedating him - he is a good patient for them, seems to stand and let them do what they have to :). I'm a bit of a worry wart and hate the idea of him being knocked out

The vet confirmed no sign of any ear infection, so the lovely long ear flap obviously just had a knock while he was running or playing, so I guess we just need to hope it doesn't happen again.

Nice to know mine isn't the only dog to suffer from this.

11. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Of course I am sure Google is far more educated that your vet. There is no way of solving an aural haematoma other than to drain it... Unless you think its a good thing to leave a pocket of blood in your dog's ear?

12. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

So would you be talking about your vet like this if your dog had a tumour or foreign body in her?? Come on, seriously they aren't psychic!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice