Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attn. all catlovers in Yorkshire and Scotland

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jiskefet, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

We will be spending a week to 10 days in Yorkshire, and possibly Scotland, as of Friday June 15th. We will be staying in the Halifax/Shipley area for at least a couple of days, but we mean to travel around and go and see nice things.
    We have already been to Haworth, Castle Howard, the mine museum, the James Herriot museum, Mallinsons Brewery in Huddersfield, the Armoury, Harrogate spa (though I'd love to go there again some time), the museum pf photography , film and television, Piece Hall,and we have been to York.

But there must be so much more to see and do, and who better to ask than my forum friends from the very region???
    And maybe we could even organize a Yorkshire Pet Forums Cat Chat mini meeting......

Any suggestions on where to stay once we leave Halifax are most welcome, too. We may want to travel on to Scotland, too, maybe to Oban or Islay, but we have to take into account that we will be travelin home on the ferry from Hull.

2. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Scarborough and Whitby are very nice.

Scarborough, North Yorkshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whitby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some really nice places to stay and not that dear.

Pickering is not that far away from either and has a lovely steam railway.
    North Yorkshire Moors Railway :: A steam train adventure through the stunning Yorkshire Moors

Will the Kitties be coming with you or staying at home?

Then maybe have a couple of nights stay in one of the little Villages (Hawes Leyburn, Aysgarth) in the Yorkshire Dales then go up to Oban from there, I know Oban is lovely because my brother always raves on about it.

#2 PetloverJo, Jan 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  3. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

Whitby should be top of the list - the inspiration for Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Pickering is also lovely day out. The station there is the one used in the first Harry Potter film and you can catch an old Steam Train across the North York Moors National Park to some other little countryside towns. There is also a Castle and quintessentially English tea rooms that sell tea, and home made jam and scones.

Pickering Tourist Guide - Pickering Attractions & Shopping, things to do in Pickering, North York Moors

If you are heading ou 't' Yorkshire Dales way and like to walk - Mallham Cove - an ancient dried up waterfall is very cool. It takes a couple of hours to walk up and around the whole thing.

Malham Cove in Malhamdale in the Yorkshire Dales

My other ones would be York and Castle Howard but you've already had the pleasure of the experience.

4. jess91

jess91 PetForums Senior

dont bother with hull its rubbish!
    haha no its alright really. The Deep is good, its like a huge aquarium.thing with fish and sharks, and the marina is nice

5. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Totally agree, Whitby lovely. Hutton le Hole near Pickering is cute too.

6. bluepersianlover

bluepersianlover PetForums Member

I cannot stress enoughy whitby is the place to go. Take a little boat ride if the sea calm to see the seals. york is amazing for shopping and history. derbyshire if u like walking and sheep lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice