Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

attitudes

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Beagle Mafia, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Do you find often that the attitudes of some people really make you sad. I posted this http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/wedding-forum/index.php?showtopic=21426 the other day in response to Bruce and it suprises me that some people still think its right to allow the sort of thing to happen. Reading up on these silly laws and charities trying to prevent it e.g. BSL and punish the deed not the breed has made me think about preconceptions. I admit that before getting Buster I assumed that certain dogs were trouble however I would never have wished death on them!

I was walking a mates dog one evening and we were attacked by a Rhodesian Ridgeback, his owner was very drunk and high and the dog was off the lead. He bit the dog then started on me I shouted at the man to get him on the lead to which he said "you shouldn't be walking your dog near my house then". I got back and contacted the council, my mate mentioned that whilst we did not want action taken against the dog we wanted the owner to keep him on a lead. The authorities did nothing and I hate to think what will come of the poor dog one day. Its not the dog that is bad but the owner who despite knowing its agression with other dogs chooses to let him out without a lead and let him out of his sight.

I don't know what I am trying to say but it suprises me that anyone would want any type of dog to be put down due to a silly law. Giiven a chance a poodle or a chi would attack. We don't kill certain people to prevent crime/wars do we???

I must admit I am new to this dog stuff but owning Buster has really opened my eyes to teh sort of thing that goes on - its so sad!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Many people, mostly non dog owners/lovers, still believe the media hype.

They believe that ALL pitbulls are bloodthirsty, ticking timebombs, and that if the law says they are dangerous, then it must be true.

Sadly, this attitude wont change.

3. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

most of us will completely agree with you, and so do I. I think BSL and the DDA are absoloute rubbish, if only there was something we could do about it :(

People seem to think that just because a dog is a certain breed, it must be vicious. Any dog of any breed can be 'vicious', it all depends on how it was brought up. It's not all the rottweilers and the Mastiffs that are agressive... remember the French woman who had a face transplant? She needed that transplant because she was attacked by her pet Labrador - a breed people usually count as one of the most loving, cuddly breeds.

Unfortunately, this isn't often highlighted. Nor are all the good things that these so-called 'aggressive' breeds do, like Agility, PAT dogs, assistance dogs, heroic actions. The press will only report the negative, and it is something I find so, so sad :(

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

The media has ruined these dogs, they will probably never recover from it.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Not to mention irresponsible breeders and ownership. These have contributed greatly to the breeds reputation. They are, afterall, reponsible for some horrendous attack.

I fear the SBT will be added to this list very soon.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

You're right.

I don't doubt it they way people talk about them :(

7. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

I can't help but think its the chavs who buy these dogs to create a 'status' - they are overbred to appeal to a certainmarket and it gives them the bad name. I have known decent owners who own all these dogs and look after/train them well. I also know people with JRTs and springers who have not looked after them correctly and they are quite agressive - its so sad :-(

8. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I think you're right, there's certainly a lot of these 'status dogs' around my area and unfortunately it seems to be young muslim boys who have them, or young white 'chavs'. I sometimes see a dog in the park at college, I think it might be an American Staffordshire Bull Terrier (it doesn't look like a Pit, but it's bigger than an ordinary SBT) and i'm sure it's on steroids :( it's muscles stick out more than any other dog i've ever seen, and they keep it in one of those massive chunky collars and harnesses. There's also a lot of bull breeds owned by the young asian lads in my area... they look like ABT's or maybe even Pit Bulls or Pit Bull crosses. More likely to be ABT's though.... I just hope they look after them :(

there's a lot of dog fighting happening in my area, and badger baiting. My lovely little girl is a victim of one of these rough 'uns, they used her for badger baiting and she's blind in one eye (before she was used) so she didn't stand a chance against it. She was a real mess and she's still a very nervous dog, although she's improved 100% since we got her.

These people will never be stopped :(

9. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

It will probably never happen but what I would like to see is not registration of dogs but registration of dog owners. In other words before a person can legally own a dog they must prove themselves worthy. They should have to pass a test exactly as you do before getting a car or a gun license.

This would eliminate impulse buying which is the reason most dogs end up in rescue and it would also stop the morons who own a "tough" dog as a sort of macho ego trip.

I'm a firm believer in DEED not BREED.

10. Broxi_jim

Broxi_jim PetForums Senior

My brother rescued a staffie who was used as a bait dog !!!!

He is approx 5-6 yrs old now and is the most delightfull staffie you'll ever meet.
    He gets on really well with my rottie who is really hard to get on with !!

My brother basically took the dog off a bunch of chavs and told them that if they tried to harm anymore dogs, he'd come looking for them and treat them the way they treated their dogs.

So the dog is in good hands at the moment. The only downside is that he is dog aggressive !!!! But I guess thats too do with they way he was treated. We've watched this dog in our own home, and all he wants to do is cuddle up with you and go to sleep. And play with our sons(twins aged 9 and 5 year old son)

Where I live, certin people need a big dog because they are supposed to be hard men :eek:ut: :rolleyes: But I've done a No2 that is harder than them :001_tt2:

These people think its funny setting their dogs on other so-called helpless people who wouldn't or won't say anything against them !!

But they all know that if they try their luck with us, they will get a wee bit of rough justice, as its the only law they understand.

I've told them to wait until I get my dog home, and then I'll gladly have a little set-too with them...But they will only go toe to toe if they have their dogs with them..

At the end of the day, the governments will only pull more wool of the general publics eyes, buy trying to solve a problem that isn't there..ie..dangerous dogs !!!

Its the owners that are the probelm, NOT the dogs
    But to make a pitbull or rottie, staffie, amerian bulldog, gsd etc etc etc to be the scapegoat is the easiest and safest option for our weak government !!!

1 person likes this.
  11. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

I love Rotties and always planned to own one one day but now I'm too afraid that the law will change and it would be taken away from me. I just don't think I could cope if that happened.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice