Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attention Seeking?

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Ste_Knight, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Ste_Knight

Ste_Knight PetForums Newbie

Hi!

I hope someone can help me because I'm starting to lose my patience! I've got a pair of female kittens who are both now 12 weeks old. They have been with us for four weeks now, and we've started having a problem. They both know that they are supposed to go to the toilet in their trays (they have one each) but recently they have just started going in the living room! Quite often they will get in the tray, scratch about a bit, and even sometimes they squat as if they are about to have a poo, but then they'll jump out, go in the living room and just go there instead. We've tried a number of things, like rewarding good behaviour etc but it doesn't seem to work. They only seem to do it when we're in the house as well - they go in the tray when we're out!:cursing:

I just don't know what to do next - can anyone help?

They'e very affectionate and we give them a lot of time playing etc - I just don't know what is going on!

2. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i have no idea wat their problem is. i was gonna say maybe change the little but if they are using the tray while your out then that wudnt explain it. the only thing i can think is that maybe they cant distinguish between good praise and bad praise. maybe wen they do it in the living room dnt say anythin jst pick them up (dnt cuddle) put them in the tray and clean the area.

a few ppl on here have advised buyin special cleaning products as the kittens will still smell where they have been and therefore keep goin

3. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

I would suggest perhaps moving the litter trays to a quiet area out of the way of general "through" traffic so to speak. If they are open trays try getting a covered tray or vice versa. It may be they may prefer a different type of litter - if you have clumping - try non-clumping or recycled paper or wood pellets. Just try the new litter in one tray and see if they use it rather than the current stuff you are using.

You could try this stuff for eradicating the smell of where the cats have been
    Urine-Hater. Eliminates Urine & Pet Odours - £9.99 : Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!, Pinky Pawz - Simply ... the cats whiskers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice