Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attacked!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shetlandlover, Apr 8, 2011.

1. I am livid.....no thats not even close to how I feel right now.

We were walking Alaska to take her on the train. We came out of our house and down the road towards the station. Alaska trotting along enjoying the weather. (on lead) when I noticed some bloke getting some stuff out of his car. He had two HUGE boxers with him and his girlfriend. Both boxers were barking. We carried on walking. Next thing we know 1 of the boxers is sniffing Alaska...no problems then the 2nd boxer came round the back of Alaska (the 1st was round the front) then both of them started trying to rip her in bits. One had her by her face the other by her back end. I managed to grab her and pull her up towards my head. Except one of them was still latched onto her hair. My OH grabbed her off me as hes taller and pulled her above his head while I held her back. Next thing I know it bit my leg.

The owner had no bloody clue how to deal with his dogs. Who were out of control All we could to was stand still with Alaska above our heads. While this idiot tried to get his dogs under control....failing badly. His wife/girlfriend just stud there.....until she realized that her OH was struggling so she came and got hold of one of them.

We managed to slink away and check over Alaska further down the street....she was okay. No harm except now shes a little off with other dogs but nothing we cant fix. Me, I have a sore leg. The dog sunk what looks like 1 tooth in and dragged down my leg. A little bit of broken skin but nothing that wont heal.

I am bloody fuming.... the guy said sorry but I have a feeling this wont be the last time his dogs get out of his house and attack a dog. If we had not grabbed her they would have killed her.....

We checked her over and took her into town to take her mind off it. She seems alright now but I am still angry.

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Hope you are all okay, personally I'd report it to police and dog warden, it's beyond a joke the number of dogs being attacked these days :mad:

3. Just angry more than anything else. We moved to the country to stop that from happening yet now its happened so close to home that if we stop using that road it will add an extra 15mins to every journey. I cant use the street...what happens next time and its Scorcher whos to big to life above my head?:mad:

4. JoinTheChase

JoinTheChase PetForums Junior

You have to report this to the police. If the dogs were worked up enough to bite you, what happens if it's a child next time? what happens if someone can't pull their dog away. The police have to made aware. That guy shouldn't have dogs he can't control.

5. lovewhitegermanshepherds

lovewhitegermanshepherds PetForums Junior

i really feel for you this happened to kia a few weeks ago i think that some people are not fit to own dogs i hope your dog is ok and you too x

6. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

Oh Shetlandlover :( That is such an awful experience for all of you. So pleased to here Alaska and yourself are ok.
    How irresponsible of that owner :mad: Has he even considered what could of potentially happened if it had only been you and Alaska?!? I would definitely report this to the police or dog warden, at least if maybe they talk to the owners they might realise how irresponsible they were.
    Glad your all ok and lets hope it's not affect Alaska too much.
    I know Suki still isn't completely right after she was attacked my a Rottie. Luckily it's just bigger dogs and she's getting there.
    *hugs*

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I would report it.. Cause if there is a next time and a dog gets killed or someone gets seriously bitten. How would you feel knowing you had taken no action to prevent this.. :(

By reporting is not giving the dogs a death sentence.. It should mean the authorities go round and make the owners aware that they need better control of their dogs..

8. Sorrels Mum

Sorrels Mum PetForums Junior

How awful for you all. Can't imagine how frightened you were for Alaska - hope she is OK now and not too traumatised by the experience. Agree with others that you should report this.
    The other night I had a dream that Sorrel was attacked - woke up crying. Goodness knows how I would cope if it actually happened

9. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

I would report it to the police and although you're more bothered about Alaska, I would make a bigger deal of the fact that the dog bit YOU. The police won't sort out anything to do with dog on dog attacks but in this day and age, they will make inquiries if you emphasise that the dog bit you and also attacked your dog. Also take a photo of your bite wound - even if it's only broken skin.

Even if you feel bad, please do report it - I doubt they will take any serious action (although you never know if he's been reported before) but they should at least call round and talk to him about controlling his dogs.

10. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

:( :mad: This is insane, you must have been so shaken up :( Thank goodness Alaska wasn't hurt- and I agree with others- it's awful that you got bitten and hurt- what if there had been a child nearby instead? Were his dogs on leads?

11. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I don't know how you coped, it must have been terrifying. I would report it, they're obviously not competent enough to be looking after these dogs. Poor Alaska :(

12. Thanks everyone. No his dogs were not on lead, they were by his front door 1 min then the next ran across the road and started on Alaska.

I already took photo's of my leg incase it came to it. I am debating contacting the police because the dog bit me for splitting the fight (well not much of a fight because only their dogs were the ones doing the fighting) I am calling up the dog warden in the morning. As they are closed.

13. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Definitely still report it to the police - I know that you know the reason for it biting you but the dogs shouldn't have gone for Alaska in the first place.

14. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

you need to report it, the next dog or owner may not be so lucky x

15. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

Why do people not take owning a powerful animal seriously!? Why do they not see that it is a massive responsibility taking on an animal as strong as a dog? This just makes me furious.

You must be so shaken up and poor Alaska. Thank goodness your OH was there.

16. shells

shells PetForums VIP

you poor things im so glad your all ok totaly agree with everyone about reporting it big (((((hugs)))))

17. LeeM018

LeeM018 PetForums Member

I can completely sympathise with this one. I had a similar thing with Ash and a boxer a few weeks ago. It met my lad for a sniff. I was a little weary because it had a 'calm before the storm' feel about it, but as his owner approached his tail started wagging so i assessed that things were ok. I clearly misread the body language, as seconds later the boxer went for Ash. Luckily Ash, at 7 months, is closing in on 30kgs now so it was more of a scrap than an attack, but none the less, if it was left to continue I have no doubt that the boxer would have finished on top.

What annoyed me the most was that the owner stood back watching like there was nothing he could do while i had to dive in and drag my boy out. Thankfully Ash has got the kind of temperament to brush off such a thing, but i was furious that an owner who has a dog that maybe gets into the odd spot of trouble didn't know how to man up and get stuck in. Pathetic. That he was allowed to be off lead and out of control just compounds the matter.

Just want to point out that I'm not bandwagon style bashing boxers. I know little about the breed other than they're quite hardy dogs. It is purely coincidence that we're discussing the same breed. It's the owner issue I'm drawing the comparissons with :mad:

18. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

I have also heard that it is not worth reporting a dog on dog attack but I would do it anyway. Is this not a type of anti-social behaviour? As someone else said others may have complained and with luck the police may visit him. That alone may result in him taking a bit more care in future.

Sorry for you - had similar in the past and it is annoying and shakes you up. Hope your doggy is OK.

19. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

You must have been shaking like a leaf afterwards. :(

I agree with the others, report before they have the chance to do something worse.

20. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I think I'd go and knock on his door and tell him he may be getting a visit from the dog warden. There is such a thing as the Dangerous Dogs Act and I'd say after what happened to Alaska, his dogs would be classed as such.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice