Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attacked On Walk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mr.stitches, Jul 14, 2009.

1. mr.stitches

mr.stitches PetForums VIP

Hi All

Well, Pippin and I have now experienced what many of you have written about...being attacked by a dog whilst out walking.

Out for our walk this morning, and I spot a lady in the distance so I linger to let her see us approaching. Pip was happily sniffing, and I could hear the lady calling her dog, who was obviously not listening at all. The dog came running towards us, a gorgeous shiny black SBT..with a muzzle. Now, iv seen this dog and its owner before, and she never has a lead. The dog has barked at Pippin before, but thats been it.

So, me being the understanding dog person, thinking that all dogs need exercise, she is being responsible by muzzling her dog, all dogs need a chance...left Pip as she was...I had no reason to think the dog would attack...until the dog suddenly started running like iv never seen, legs out everywhere, growling....it leapt on top of Pippin, trying to pin her down. The noises from the two dogs were awful, I kept trying to grab Pip but she was trying to escape, wrapping her lead around me, and the other dog kept ramming into her. So I had to hoy her up by her harness. Once she was in my arms, the dog continued to growl and jump up at myself and Pippin..it was awful. I still couldnt see the owner, so instead of walking away I headed to where the owner had been, and the dog followed, still trying to get us. My theory was the owner could grab the dog quicker, as it obviously was not going to perform recall.

The owner came along, shouted at the dog, walked past me, told the dog to lie down and said 'sorry about that'....now, im not a confident person, and all dogs deserve a chance. But I think i was in shock, didnt really know what to say, and just asked if he was always like this and she said 'yeah'.

I walked off, until i was a good distance away and she had gone, put Pip on the floor and burst into tears...girly I know. I felt awful, I had never been so close to an aggressive dog, and the fact that it was still so angry and trying to get at Pip despite the muzzle. I checked Pip over, gave her a treat, and was going to head home as felt awful but continued with our walk.

Why do people not put their dog on an extendable? Even make their own so they have a good run, but are still attached to the owner. Pip is a bit naff with recall, but she isnt aggressive. If you know your dog is, then take the right precautions. Not to have a lead, of any kind, is mad.

So, were both ok now, just a bit shaken, me more than Pippin! Its an awful feeling, and Im so glad the dog had a muzzle as otherwise I think we would have been at the vets by now.

A very scary and upsetting morning that I just had to share:(

1 person likes this.
  2. fluffybunny2001

fluffybunny2001 PetForums VIP

I was under the impression that if your dog needed to be muzled then it is against the law to let it off lead?
    so sorry you had t go through that,and what an irresponsible owner she is for allowing her dog to so that to your dog

3. mr.stitches

Thank you...I dont know what the law is, but I shall certainly be looking into.

I really do sympathize with anyone else who has had this happen to them..thank god Pip is ok, otherwise I just dont like to think what could of been.

4. sallybrunskill@hotmail.co

sallybrunskill@hotmail.co PetForums Junior

Oh my goodness, that is just awful.
    That woman is so irresponsible for walking her dog without the lead, especially if she knows her dog can be that badly behaved and aggressive.

5. rona

rona Guest

Oh so sorry that you and Pip had to go through this.
    I hope you are both ok, Pip may have a little bruising, so be gentle with her over the next few days.
    Are you going to report the inconsiderate owner?

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

aw i just read this - i dread to think what would happen to Mika, being a small dog if he ever got attacked. Thankfully his recall is good so i can get him on a lead before he goes to a dog - Dante on the other hand.....

But yes i have been involved in nasty dog attacks - all through stupid GSDs in my area- which is putting me off the breed despite me owning 2 when i was younger. Dante actually did get attacked by a GSD when he was younger like actually got into a real fight with him. Lucky he wasn't hurt too bad, but oh my god, i had him on a lead at that time too - what would've happened to me? I was surprised Woody being this little dog actually went into defend mode and started backing up his little brother!

The last attack i recently experienced luckily the dog actually obeyed his owner and came back when called - silly sod knew he was going to get a telling off from Daddy. But poor Dante always seems to be the brunt of being attacked by GSDs!

I think people should always put their dogs on a lead when they see other dogs coming, regardless of whether their dog is friendly or not.

7. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear you had to go through that.
    My parents last dog was a Staff x Lab who was rescued from a dog fighting ring and was therefor dog agressive. Because of this we always kept him on an extender lead and pulled him close and to one side to let other dogs pass. There is no excuse for letting a known agressive dog get to other dogs.

8. mr.stitches

Thats what I thought...although she didnt seem bothered that her dog had just attacked mine, muzzled or not.
    She proabably wont give it a second thought after this morning, although it is clearly in my mind and will be for a while to come, especially on that walk.

9. mr.stitches

It was awful, the lady didnt register the look of shock on my face, and I think she didnt see it as a big deal.

Pip is asleep, has had a drink and a treat after the walk. I shall be gentle with her, feel awful for her. I just hope she will be ok next time we meet a dog.

If the ladys car is parked nearby again - must have been hers at the entrance - I wont be going on the walk.

Who do I report it too? Do you agree with the other post about aggressive dogs being on a lead - legally I mean?

I dont want the dog PTS or anything, just the lady made aware of her actions.

Certainly put a dampner on my day anyway! Felt such a wuss crying, i was ok after though!

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

What a stupid,inconsiderate, rude,selfish dog owner! :mad:

I am so sorry you and Pip had to endure this :(
    Gentle hugs to you and Pip xx

11. mr.stitches

I dog sat for a year or so for two SBT who were lovely. The owner knew they didnt like other dogs, so didnt want me to walk them and only walked them at certain times and sensibly.

Our first rescue was also a SBT X who was lovely, and my friends dog who Iv looked after for years is a SBT. I love the breed, which is why I gave it a chance as it were. Im not cross with the dog, just the lady.

Thank you sallyanne.....I have read so many posts on here about dogs being attacked, but to have it happen to yourself is totally different. Especially when the dog tries to get at you too, iv never really been scared of a dog before now.

#11 mr.stitches, Jul 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  12. rona

rona Guest

13. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Report her to the dog warden. I suppose at the very least she is slightly responsible for having the dog muzzled but that aside she is still a very stupid woman and once again gives dog owners a bad name. The dog won't be pts for this action, the warden will be able to note the incident and if any further reports are recieved then action may be taken. It isn't illegal for a muzzled dog to be off lead (2 of mine have worn them in the passed) it's actually a very responsible thing to do if you have a dog even with the slightest chance of aggression BUT it should be backed up by actually being with the dog and recalling it at the first sign of unappropriate behaviour. :rolleyes:

I hope you are both okay, try to not let it put you off enjoying your walks with Pip, honestly I bet she doesn't even remember the incident so try to not let your fears transfer to her in the future.

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My dog was attacked by a border collie (again) on sunday. Mostly noise and air snapping, but still not a nice experience for me or my dog.

Its really important that you get Pip out and about and mixing with other dogs. Incidents like this can cause nervous and fearful behaviour, which can be very hard to overcome.

If you know someone with a steady and dog friendly Stafford, this would be great, as some dogs can become breed prejudiced (mine detests collies).

15. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Oh dear, poor Pip so sorry you had to go through that but glad Pips ok. Before I met my wife she had a Lakeland x Border who loved his ball and carried it everywhere he also loved other dogs. One day he was mugged of his ball by two pushy and bullying dogs (a lab and an English pointer) whilst the owner just stood and watched, laughing. He was only a pup and it scarred him mentally for life so would then be on the deffensive every time he saw a dog therafter.

With our 2 we are trying our hardest to keep them dog friendly as we would hate for a bad event to turn either of them so out of courtesy they always go back on leads when we see other dogs that are unresponsive to their owners and it really annoys me when the big pushy things come over and stand over Ty, hackles up and ignoring all recalls whilst Ty who is a submissive boy just tries to hide behind my legs.

It is a pity that the dog that went for Pip was a staff-another bad owner not caring for the already tainted rep of the breed.

Final point-sorry Ad1980 but I have to dissagree with your comment 'stupid GSDs' as it is the owners of the refered to dogs that are the stupid ones the dogs are just behaving in the way they have been raised.

16. mr.stitches

Thank you xxx

This point covers it .......

Any dog is defined as dangerously out of control if it injures a person or if it behaves in a way that makes a person worried that it might injure them. The maximum penalty for allowing your dog to be dangerously out of control is two years imprisonment, or a fine, or both.

Im just glad that I did not have a small child with me, god knows what would have happened.

Ty Bo...I totally agree with you, as most dogs in our rescue are STB's or STB x's, and it really is a shame that people just arent that bit more responsible. It doesnt take much does it.

17. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Yes that's why the GSDS in my area are stupid because their owners are just as stupid! LOL I know its the owners fault for not training these guys right i'm not that thick!

18. mr.stitches

Its so true, as a relative of mine has a Westie that has been attacked by several JRT, and now he is so scared of them...I shall still take Pip out, and its a local agriculture show in a couple of weks so I shall defo be taking her there. She seems fine, so hopefully she is ok.

19. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Lol I know:D
    There are a lot of stupid dogs that take after their stupid owners-clumsy ones too, like Ty :p

20. SeaThreePeeO

SeaThreePeeO PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for you and Pip. I have been in the same situation myself many a time and it's not nice.

You may find that Pip develops a mistrust or dislike of SBT.

My first dog Rex SBTX was attacked by three off lead GSDs and evening up with several puncture wounds. Rex was on lead at the time and was unable to run because we got tangled. The lady owner did nothing to help and in the end I had to kick one of her dogs before the attack ceased. Something I am not proud of, but there was nothing else I could do there was only me against three large dogs. After that Rex hated other dogs and got it into his head that it was far better to attack first then risk being attacked again. It took us 18 months of patience to get it to accept other dogs, but he never accepted GSD after that.

Shen out lab has a dislike of Westies after one ran up behind in and went for his hindlegs. We weren't even aware the dog was apporaching until it launched its attack.

As long as you can show Pip that there are plenty of nice dogs out there still she should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice