Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attacked by wasps - twice in 3 days!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Burrowzig, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My dog Ziggy was playing in a garden I was working in on Friday, I hadn't noticed an underground wasp nest right next to where she was. She yelped and came to me holding up one leg, then wanted to go and sit in the car. I couldn't find anything wrong with her, but later when weeding that patch I found the nest entrance.
    Then yesterday by the canal she was attacked again, and this time I could see the wasps on her. She was trying to get them off by biting at them and I pulled a sting out of her nose. Then she went back to find her ball, and the wasps had another go! I had to pull some off her, and put her in the canal to get the last ones off.
    She must have had about 4 stings, but after the initial pain and discomfort, and some itching through the night, none the worse.

2. thurrz

thurrz Banned

Thank god it did not get worse :)
    Maybe you can keep away your dog to the wasp area

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Poor girl.

You could try carrying some vinegar with you. Helps neutralize the sting.

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Just got attacked again in a different place! Zig has a sting on the inside of her cheek where she must have tried to bite or lick a wasp off, her poor face is all lopsided. I have 4 stings in my hair, one on my face and one on my arm. All chemists shut, luckily a neighbour had some antihistamine tablets. I just gave Zig a quarter tablet as recommended by the out-of-hours vet. My head hurts!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Christ!

You can have a delayed reaction. I was talking to a family friend who is highly allergic, and she can have a reaction up to 6 hours after being stung. So monitor yourself as well as Zig.

6. rona

rona Guest

Why Wasps Sting:

It is very important to remember that a wasp does not sting unless provoked to do so. Hence avoid swatting or squashing. When attacked, the wasp releases a chemical that signal other wasps to attack.

This is from a site about wasps.
    She may still have the scent of the chemical on her, maybe give her a bath

7. kath123

kath123 Guest

My sisters german shephard gets stung on a daily basis as the stupid girl eats them!!! :(:(

8. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Kaydee was attacked a couple of years ago by wasps. Her face started swelling up and she went into anafalactic(not sure on spelling) shock. Had to rush her to the vets

It was really scary

9. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

one of my dogs swallowed a wasp once and went into analaptic shock (probs spelt wrong) we were so lucky but the vet said always have antihistamine syrup and use bicarbonate of soda paste on the point of sting (external sting that is)

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I think it happens because the nests are just off the side of a path, and Zig normally runs along there playing, tossing sticks into the air and jumping around. I see the wasp's point of view in all this! Yesterday I'm not sure what set them off, could have been Zig leaping around, or one that flew into my fine floppy hair, got stuck there, panicked and stung, setting the others off. Zig's face has gone down nearly to normal, my head is not too bad but the arm is quite swollen. I always get a lot of swelling from bee and wasp stings (I used to keep bees so got used to it), but am aware of anaphalactic shock that can occur.

11. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Vinegar for wasps
    Bicarbonate of soda solution for bees - remember bees leave their stings in and its better to scrape them out with tweezers rather than pull out as this releases more poison juice!
    Good also to apply cold compresses to the area to.:)

12. janh

janh PetForums Newbie

I have a black lab and he got stung on the side of his nose. I got some insect bite and sting cream from the vet and that cleared it up. Vinegar is a good idea though, I didn't think of that.;)

13. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

I keep Benadryl in my pet med box for just this reason, I give half a tab then half a tab 15 mins later..... Mine are bigish dogs though so that dose works for them...

14. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

oh no. my Inca ran through a wasps nest when she was a pup, she was stung multiple times she went striate into shock and we had to dunk her in the river the try and drown them. we had to rush her to the vets.

glad it was only a couple of stings your dog got.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice