Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Attacked by cats while walking on a lead

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by manda546, May 12, 2010.

1. manda546

manda546 PetForums Newbie

While walking Archie tonight, 2 cats have run up to him and launched an attack. The first one he had found under a car and was staring at it. The second one was sitting in a driveway and we were just walking past.

Has anyone had this problem before? Archie isn't cat friendly but he was on a lead and so couldn't go towards them and attack them. There was just no warning that it was going to happen. And happen twice in one evening too!

Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

How peculiar, only ever seen one cat stand it's ground with a strange dog

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I would start carrying a water pistol, that should make them exit pretty sharpish without too much distress to all involved ;)

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

A cat did this to my Nelson once. Totally unprovoked, we didnt even know she was there as we walked past. She had kittens we discivered later. Any such explanation for you? (although seems unlikely as it was 2 cats!)

5. manda546

At least it isn't just me then. That's nice to know. I guess it's always possible they were behaving like that.

I have a squeezy water bottle ready for the morning walk just in case! Let's hope it was just a random evening.

6. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

This happened to me and my old collie cross many years ago.

It sounds funny, but it was actually really scary at the time.

We were walking past a house (I had a baby in a buggy at the time too), and this cat just came running out of the garden and dived for my dog - it landed on her back and sunk its claws in.

She was petrified and managed to get her lead loose and ran away. The blooming cat chased her into someone's garden.

This is where it got really silly...my dog ran around a parked car in the garden, the cat chased. The house owner came out and started to shout at my dog! I was desperately trying to tell her it was the other way round - thankfully another lady from across the road had seen everything and came to help.

Eventually I managed to get my dog and we RAN away from the cat. I never went down that road again! :eek:

7. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

This happened to me a few days ago, was taking Oozy on his small toilet walk and suddenly I heard a yowl, I stopped and coming at a fast pace was a huge black cat, well compared to Oozy he was lol but he was determind to get to oozy, even when we crossed the road he continued his persuit, I was actually quite nervous at one point, but didnt want Oozy to get worried so continued at a fast pace. Ive never seen it before either, my 2 cats hiss at him occ but they never go after him.

8. Sarahnorris

Sarahnorris Banned

good idea! :lol:

9. manda546

Thanks everyone for sharing advice and your own experiences. Tonight I am going armed with a squeezy bottle of water and also Archie's old training discs. He ignores the noise of them anyway but perhaps the cat might not like them.

10. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

One of my girls did this once, it was a hot summer day and I was sitting inside with the door open. Felicity ran out of the house and took on a German shepherd which just happened to be passing, on a lead, several yards from the house. There were kittens inside.

Liz

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice