Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Atopica (ciclosporin) has worked wonders in four days.

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Malmum, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Teebs has had minor problems with itching since he was around 9 months old. It's mainly been his ears, although they have always been clean and he's never had mites. He's had steroids in the past due to scratching under his arm pits, runny eyes and whenever you touch his head he literally lowers it to the floor - he's always done this. He has been having one 4mgs Piriton twice daily but it hasn't stopped his itching entirely.

Rosie decided she'd had enough and took him to see Van four days ago. He's had bloods taken which have been sent to Belgium to find out the allergen causing his probs. Results came back today - he isn't allergic to wheat, grains, tree's, grass, amongst other things but he is allergic to mites and mould. Van phoned Rosie to see if she wanted the mites properly identified so as a serum can be made to see if he can be desensitised, because it's an added £107. He's insured and so it's going ahead.
    The serum is made in Belgium too. Rosie will then inject him once a month to see how he responds, Van said many of their clients choose to do it at home. So we are waiting for the mite identification, Van thinks it will be dust mites and said most cases they deal with are, Teebs sleeps on Rosie's bed too so is surrounded by them, lol.

In the meantime he's been taking Atopica 50mgs, one a day and in just Four days his head lowering has completely stopped, we can stroke his head and he just sits there, absolutely brilliant!

Just wanted to put up this thread in case anyone else has a similar problem and may like to try Atopica. It's not cheap and costs £105 for 30 tablets but I cannot believe how quickly it's worked. If the serum doesn't desensitise him at least we know we an carry on with this drug, seeing him stroked on the head and react like one of the other dogs is just fantastic. :thumbup:

Anyone else tried Atopica?

2. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

yes for a short period at a cost of 176 per week for the dog but this included 42 for ABs - unfortunately he could not remain on them as they caused myoclonic jerks - he was put on steroids instead - but at least he remained seizure free on the steroids - my vet informed me that seizures can be an adverse reaction to this drug

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Cyclosporine Like steroids is an immune suppressant, but it works in a different way to steroids. Although Steroid use especially long term can cause health problems and side effects, so unfortunately can cyclosporine especially long term. Ron Hines DVM Phd who does some really good articles information wise on various subjects of veterinary medicine and health problems. Has done one on Atopica too, you might want to read. There is no doubt it stops itching and allergy reponses but it does other things too some of which are not good.

Is Atopica Safe ? - Should I Give Atopica To My Dog ?

I did know about some of the side effects of cyclosporine as my Samoyed was on the optimunne which is a cyclosporine eye ointment used for dry eye years ago.
    Must admit after reading the article there is even more then I was previously aware of with the optimuune, don't know if thats because it is used systemically instead of just being put in the eye topically.

4. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Its used in renal patients to stop rejection, so I know its a pretty powerful drug. Teebs isn't on it long term, just for while we're waiting for his mites to be identified and then he'll go on to the desensitisation programme.

There is a site manager at the Hosp where Rosie works whose dog has had all of the above treatment, ciclosporin for a couple of weeks and is now having his injections to desensitise him. Funny how she got chatting about Teebs and found someone in exactly the same boat. Her dog has done remarkably well and the injections are working, hopefully Teebs will too.

Just off to read that link and frighten myself - thanks for posting it SD I like to know as much as possible about what they take and the leaflet doesn't mention many side effects - we shall see. ;)

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

The article is by an American vet and the Drugs there have to go through the FDA. The FDA is very stringent and there is things the FDA wont pass that are passed here for use. In the states for example if I remember rightly metacam or the oral version isn't licensed for cats, although I believe a one off injection is. In the UK oral metacam is licensed and freely prescribed for cats.

Often if you want to research a drug the FDA and US sites tell you a lot more.
    The US packaging and leaflets are very often different to the UK ones too for the same medications.

6. Wildmoor

Wildmoor PetForums Senior

The following are listed on Novartis animal health site:
    Other undesirable effects are rare and may include lethargy or hyperactivity, anorexia, mild to moderate gingival hyperplasia, skin reactions such as verruciform lesions or change of hair coat, red and swollen pinnae, muscle weakness or muscle cramps.
    the ones in bold are the ones my dog had alongside the seizures, he also developed pica which he didnt have before or after and joint pain.
    myself I would never go down this route again, it states these symptoms are rare but in the 6months my dog was on it I heard of 2 boxers and another 2 GSDs develop seizures, 1 of the Boxers had to be pts as he went into status epilepticus and the vets could not resolve it.

Sled dog hotel likes this.
  7. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info SD. I know drugs are often used differently in the US and here, a friend over there has Cartrophen injections for his arthritis yet we don't give it to humans here. You'd think we would treat pretty much the same as each other wouldn't you.

Sorry to hear your dog had those problems Wildmoor and I know they can happen, as with all drugs there are possible reactions but Teebs won't be on it for six months, in fact he won't be on it for a month as we're just waiting for the vaccine to be prepared and he'll be off if the Atopica altogether.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice