Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Atopic Dermatitis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by BenjisMum, May 27, 2010.

1. BenjisMum

BenjisMum PetForums Newbie

Hi am new on here so first of all "Hi" to everyone!

I have a gorgeous golden retriever who will be 2 in August and has been diagnosed with atopic dermatitis - I just wondered if anyone else has this problem with their dog?
    We have Malaseb shampoo which we have to use once a week and have Viacutin Plus that we put in his food once a day also. When he has a bad outbreak he is also diagnosed a course of anti-biotics.
    I wondered if anyone has had experience with using any herbal/homeopathic remedies at all?

Thanks

2. rona

rona Guest

Hi and welcome. I've no help unfortunately, but hope someone here can help you

3. BenjisMum

Thanks rona - is that a retriever in your avatar?

4. rona

rona Guest

It certainly is, Never had any other breed.
    I love them :thumbup:

5. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,sorry iv no experience at all,but just wanted to say hello.
    Do you also have to watch his diet with this condition?

6. BenjisMum

rona - this is our first retriever, we originally had our name down with lab rescue but they got Benji given to them at 11 weeks old and we took him in and have never looked back - they're a lovely breed :thumbup:

bearpaw - the vet thought his dermatitis was food related at first but this doesn't appear to be the case, we feed him James Wellbeloved (all flavours) which he is doing really well on. I think the recent hot spell didn't help his skin as he gets it worse on his 'hot spots' (inbetween back legs and under tail)

7. rona

rona Guest

#7 rona, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
  8. BenjisMum

Thanks for that rona - will do some investigating

9. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Oh bless him,i only asked because i too had heard food can agrivate it too,but if he is doing well from that point of view,thats great.
    Dont think the hot spell will last much longer.....typical english weather lol!

10. BenjisMum

Has definately cooled down now - Benji hates the hot weather where as when it snowed earlier in the year we had a job keeping him IN the house :rolleyes:

11. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)

My mums 3 year old cocker has this problem, and early this year it got so bad she didn't think she would have him much longer. The vet thinks he has an allergy to grass. His eyes, ears and paws were horrendous and he was miserable. She put a thread up on here for advice and someone mentioned Juniper pad treatment. Unfortunatly the vet thought it was too bad for this at the moment so he is on 1/2 a piriton a day, thornits ear powder and steroids, which he is likely to be on for life. His feet are washed in the same shampoo as yours.

The others also suggested Canaural ear drops, & dermacton.

Hope this gives you a few ideas. :)

12. BenjisMum

Hi sue&harvey

Thanks for giving me some more ideas to try...it really is a nasty condition. The vet mentioned steroids to us if it did get worse and more persistant and am keeping my fingers crossed it doesn't get to that stage. I hope you mums dog is ok.

Oh and thank you for the welcome :D

13. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

No probs by all accounts the juniper pad is highly recomended. Mums dog is loads better with the steroids, and her opinion is as long as he's happy.

Nightmare if it's grass that sets them off :rolleyes:

Hope yoou have fun on here :thumbup:

14. BenjisMum

Will have to try that...am just off to give Benji his malaseb bath now...hopefully that'll stop him chewing at his tail because it's driving him mad at the moment and making him mr grumpy! Let's see who gets wetter now...me or him...my money is on me:biggrin:

15. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I had a Lab with that for 12 yrs till someone told me to give her Piriton tablet, gave her one a day and she never itched for the last 3 yrs of her life! obviously check with your vet but its worth a try and a lot cheaper than vets bills:D

16. BenjisMum

Hi Kinjilabs

I have heard a lot of people giving their dogs piriton tablets with good results, is it just the normal piriton we buy over the counter?

Am also looking into this juniper pad treatment as well.

17. Inkdog

Inkdog PetForums Member

My 3 year old Lab has Atopic Dermatitis and is allergic to dust mites and grass pollen, so in his case it’s an all year round condition.

I would definitely recommend Piriton as an effective method of controlling the condition, though you may well find that you also have to resort to steroids at some point. There were times when a course of Atopica was the only thing which made a difference to Bingley’s condition. Atopica is an advanced steroid with fewer side effects than you’d normally find with this kind of medication; but although it’s highly effective and slightly more benign than conventional steroids, it’s also horrendously expensive.

I know that some people have found that changing the dog’s diet, or adjusting some environmental factors, have made a difference. That simply didn’t happen in my case. I can’t tell you how many times I changed his diet and hoped that somehow we’d achieve a magical cure. For most of us that just doesn’t happen.

As far as herbal/homeopathic remedies go I would definitely get some Dermacton, its remarkable stuff and works well. If his ears are itchy then Thornits ear powder would be worth trying; though like Canoural ear drops, it didn’t help my dog: his ears were affected but not infected.

It’s also worth mentioning that none of this stuff will cure your dogs allergies; they’ll simply, if you’re lucky, bring some relief until he, hopefully, grows out of the condition.

For the past 18 months my own dog has been undergoing immunotherapy treatment and I’m pleased to say that it seems to be having a positive effect.

If you have any other questions please ask, and feel free to pm me if you want.

18. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Hey ink, any chance you can give some more info on the immunotherapy treatment please. :)

19. BenjisMum

Thanks Inkdog - I am definately going to try Piriton as lots of positive comments about it. What dosage would I be looking at? Benji weighs about 32kgs. I'm willing to try anything that will help him.

20. JeannieB

JeannieB PetForums Junior

If it's not food related that is great - I would always avoid grains (including rice) and beware of chicken as this surprisingly can often be a problem.

The vet nurse at Fish4Dogs told me that the omega oils in fish help with skin repair - so even if its not a food related problem it can be useful feeding fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice