Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Atlas carrier warning

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lizward, Aug 2, 2009.

1. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Please excuse the cross posting but I think people will want to know about this.

This happened with an Atlas open 10 but I should imagine it applies to all 10s and 20s, not sure about the 30.

There have been a few times recently when someone has warned me that my carrier is coming open, on each occasion it has begun to come open at the top of the door. On each occasion I have assumed I had not shut the door properly. Well, yesterday on the way out of the show hall, Basil either fell or jumped out of the carrier door which had completely come away. Suddenly the carrier went light and the person behind me shouted out. No harm was done because we were not near a road and Basil is a very easy cat, but the consequences could so easily have been a dead or at least lost cat.

I shut him in the carrier again and was extra careful but then just round the corner someone shouted a warning that the carrier was open again. It seems that if the cat is sitting at the door end of the carrier, its weight pulls the top and bottom apart enough for the door to come out of its retainers. Basil is a Burmese and is on the small side, he is in no way a large or heavy cat.

Needless to say I will not be trusting these carriers anywhere near a show hall again!

Liz

2. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

Wow I don't blame you - that must have been scary, especially if the hall doors were open. I've got Raggies & moggies & only use the carrier for trips to the vets. I've just had a look & one of my carriers is an "Atlas Open 20". I've never had any problems with it, but it is quite a few years old & as I said, doesn't get used much (maybe it's a previous model?). I'll have a good look at it later though - thanks for the warning ;)

3. ChinaBlue

ChinaBlue PetForums VIP

Thanks for the warning - think one of ours is an Atlas but it is about 10 years old! I must admit I prefer the Cabrio's now.

It may well be worth you writing to the manufacturers and advising what the design flaw!

4. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

Munch - it wasn't in the hall - it was outside. Basil trotted off across the grass. Fortunately he is a confident type of cat and he just came back when I called him. I think the old design was safer.

China - I shall indeed be writing to Atlas! This design is fundamentally unsafe!

liz

5. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

OMG how scary must that have been!

Like you said it is lucky that Basil is easy to get hold of, I know if my moggy managed to escape his cat carrier he wouldn't be seen for dust!

I think mine is an Atlas so will be digging it out in a little while to have a check and will be looking into buying a new one.

I would certainly inform the manufacturer as well.

6. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

OMG - that's 100 x worse - you're so lucky he's a good cat & came back to you - mine would've run off to explore :eek: So glad a bad situation wasn't disasterous. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice