Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

At wit's end - Willow not eating....again

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MizuMummy, Feb 20, 2021.


  1. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    As some of you might know, my kittens have been ill with tummy issues for a little while now, with the main issue being Willow who has been sick since arrival and was very underweight.

    Willow hasnt eaten for 24 hours and has not eaten much at all for days, since finishing her second round of synolux. Since testing positive for giardia last week the vet told me on Monday to take her off of synulux as he said that it would be the giardia causing the inappetance and worming should help. I questioned why then antibiotics would help her if it was guardia causing it but he said it would have been masking the symptoms of giardia because it changes the gut Flora etc. Im not sure I agree with this - I just knew it was the antibiotics helping her eat and now I've been proved right as she has gone off of her food since I stopped using it despite continuing the worming.

    Its been two rounds of synulux so far and I dont want to do a third as I know its bad for them, but its happened again and I dont know what to do. Her bloods came back normal and she seems fine in herself - very playful and energetic.

    I'm waiting for a tf test result - has been held up by covid and weather in Germany apparently. Could the inappetance be tf? The thing is she has solid poos for a while now since starting synolux / worming, although I dont think I've seen her poo in two days which is unusual (and possibly because she's not eating enough?).

    The only thing she has wanted to eat for a couple of weeks has been poached chicken. I've been adding felini complete but perhaps not as scientifically as I should be with the amounts. Could this be it? Perhaps it could cause constipation and thats why she's not eating? It just seems too similar to what was happening before though, when she did have bad smelly diahrrea. Which is why I think it might tf. But does it present like this?

    I've tried her on every possible food this morning...from the cheap to the expensive, including lots of the ones recommended by @chillminx for delicate tummies, to poached chicken, but no joy still.

    Am waiting for a call back from the vet but I know from the many times I've now bought her in they'll just say she seems very 'bright'. Knowing my luck she'll also eat a bit of food when they put it in front of her, which was what she did last time!

    I've spent thousands so far and missed a lot of time off work (I'm freelance so losing income) to care for them and do a very strict cleaning protocol and its getting the point where I'm finding it hard to sleep with the stress of it all or do anything else than kitten maintenance or worry and its really taking its toll. I am almost wondering whether to give Willow up as I simply can't take this much time off and its even affecting my relationship im so stressed and worried all the time. But I really don't want to and I want to do the right thing by her. I just keep worrying she's got some awful illness like FIP and is going to die. Am I being overly anxious here? All of the posts on the forum say that a kitten not eating is really serious so I go into a spiral whenever it happens which I realise isn't helping but I just feel so helpless.
     
  2. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Sorry should have said - she finished ten days of panacur yesterday. Helped with poos but this inappetence came back shortly after finishing synulux.
     
  3. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Just been to the vet and finally found one that seems to know what he's doing. He has suggested it might be a shunt as Willow is small and seems to have some discomfort. Scan and bloods on Monday. Does anyone have any experience with shunts? I'm googling and just had a massive cry as it seems it might not be good news :( Also £5000 for an operation and I dont even know if the £1700 I spent on hospital will be paid for yet by insurance as they are taking five weeks to process claims. Feeling really hopeless. But at least I've found a vet that has a plan.
     
  4. Summercat

    Summercat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2017
    Messages:
    8,103
    Likes Received:
    19,665
    Hi,
    I'm sorry I cannot help with the shunt as have not had experience. What does your cats breeder say? I am thinking it may not have been a good breeding situation as they came to you ill.
    Did you see the living conditions of the mother cat and kittens or was that not possible? It may be worth reporting if you were sold a sick and underweight kitten.
    I hope things work out for you and Willow.
     
  5. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Thanks @Summercat. I suspect it wasn't a good breeding situation. I bought her from a woman whod only had her a week, but had realised it wasn't going to be viable with her older cat who was beating her up and quickly wanted to assure me. She told me that she'd bought her from a good breeder and 'had all the certficates'etc and I trusted her...but then when I had taken Willow home and asked her for the insurance details from the breeder and other details it sounded more and more like a backyard breeder :( She said that he eventually started sending her abuse when she was asking him questions from me about things like HCM. I now would never ever buy a cat without properly checking everything.
     
  6. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    That was supposed to be 'quickly wanted to rehome her'
     
  7. Summercat

    Summercat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2017
    Messages:
    8,103
    Likes Received:
    19,665
    Ah ok, that is a pity.
    If the woman has his contact details and the address he is breeding out of, you could try to report him I think.
    As your kitten is sick probably others in the litter are/were as well and some of his breeding cats.
     
  8. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Yes, I've tried to get his contact details but she won't give them...I suspect she's afraid as I think he has been threatening? She said she reported him to the rspca. Would love to know who they are. I can't believe people do this - it's so cruel, to animals and their owners.
     
  9. Summercat

    Summercat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2017
    Messages:
    8,103
    Likes Received:
    19,665
    @MizuMummy

    Hi,
    How is Willow doing now?

    That may be the woman who sold you Willow is afraid the breeder will think it is her who reported him but I have a feeling your kitten is not the first sick kitten he has sold.
    Also if she reported him to the RSPCA what does it matter if you again report him.
    You mentioned the woman had certificates etc from the breeder, did she pass those on to you?
    I have a feeling your kitten was not registered but it may be worth seeing what if any paperwork was passed on.
    I am a little suspicious the woman you bought her from maybe working as a front for a kitten farmer as she seems to be keeping him out of view.
     
    Calvine and pennycat like this.
  10. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Oh that's interesting, I never thought of that. When I asked her for the certificates etc, and the insurance details, she said that he wasn't replying and that he had sent her abusive messages. I got exhausted with it all in the end as I told her that I'd like for her to pay for half of the vet's bills up until the time my insurance kicked in as she hadn't got insurance, and she said she only had £50 in her account and was happy to give me that etc. I felt bad as she lived in a council house and I'm guessing didn't have lots of money so I just dropped it. She had seemed so sweet and genuinely upset to give up Willow, I really do believe her but it is odd that she won't give his details.

    Perhaps I should get in touch again and say I need his details and for her to give me a financial contribution to vet's bills or I will be reporting her to the RSPCA?

    Willow is finally eating - she's on Synolux, which seems to resolve issues. So I am feeling less anxious in the immediate moment. She went in for blood tests yesterday - can't remember what it's called but the one where they feed on an empty stomach, then on a full stomach. If the results come back as indicating a shunt she will need a referral to specialist which will be very expensive.

    I have contacted my insurance company (Bought By Many) to chase up the initial claim I made on her hospitalisation as if they approve this then it's likely they will approve the specialist and the operation. They have a 3-5 week backlog and said yesterday there is nothing they can do to speed it up. I spoke to them twice in the initial two week period to say that I was treating Willow for an issue and would they cover after the 2 week period, and they said yes. But the vet thinks this isn't likely to happen. Bought By Many are doing things differently so I hope this isn't true, as I can't afford another £7kish for investigation and operation after already shelling out about £4k so far on emergency vets and hospitalisation, frequent trips to the vets, ubers each time, millions of different things to try and help. That's not to mention thousands of pounds in income lost as I'm freelance and have had to take a lot of time off with all of the giardia cleaning protocol etc, which took hours and hours every day.

    The vet said it will be okay to wait for the insurance company to approve before doing the specialist referral if Willow is still eating well, as she's likely to need to wait till she's 6 months anyway for the op.

    Had to go to the emergency vets twice on the weekend - on Sunday I woke up and they both had their tongues sticking out, very swollen, and were drooling. They'd obviously been poisoned by something and I cannot work out what. There are no cat-toxic plants, toxic cleaners in the room they're confined to at the moment (they had giardia so am being careful for a couple of weeks). I burst into tears in the vets as it's all been so much to cope with. I'm absolutely exhausted.
     
  11. pennycat

    pennycat PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2016
    Messages:
    459
    Likes Received:
    667
    I thought this too seems rather suspicious. They can be ever so charming.
     
  12. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    It is odd. Also, she only said that the breeder had sent her abusive messages when I pushed for his details, and she seemed to imply she had told me already. I told her she hadn't. Perhaps she was getting her stories mixed up with another person complaining. Then she said 'I didn't realise it was him at first - it was coming from another email address'. All very odd.
     
  13. pennycat

    pennycat PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2016
    Messages:
    459
    Likes Received:
    667
    If he really was sending abusive messages why can’t she just block him? Sounds dodgy.

    hope willow ends up ok :(
     
  14. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    When I bought Mizu (my other kitten), I made sure I met the mother, the father who lived with them (they were friendly, healthy cats) and the breeding family seemed nice - which was the advice I got when I went onto a pet buying website. I now realise they were still backyard breeders as the cat had had four litters in four years (the guy was spaying her after that though).

    With Willow, I didn't go into the house as this woman seemed so clingy and upset about Willow I was worried she'd never leave me alone and I wouldn't get out for ages (I'd driven all the way to Kent and my boyfriend was sitting in the car). I also knew I wouldn't meet the mum. But her flat did seem very dirty from what I saw. I dread to think the time Willow has had.
     
  15. Summercat

    Summercat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2017
    Messages:
    8,103
    Likes Received:
    19,665
    @MizuMummy
    I can understand you have been feeling over whelmed.
    I think also your being nice is working in their favor.
    The woman shouldn't be asking for certificates, she should already have them from when she bought the kitten, if there were any.
    If she is short of cash, how did she buy an expensive kitten (I am assuming expensive as she was sold as a pedigree).
    Why did she not take Willow to the vet herself?
    I would ask for Willows paperwork with the contact details of the original seller or you will have to report her, as she sold you an underweight and sick kitten.
    Keep vet records and photos with dates for when you report.
     
    pennycat likes this.
  16. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Thanks @pennycat. I'm doing my very best! The vet said that owners as well informed and caring as me are rare, which cheered me up. I've really put everything into trying to find out what's going on and getting her better, and I have now found an excellent vet who has consulted with the head of the (crap) vets I was using before who had actually heard of this case as his vets have been stumped and one of them approached him.

    I'm feeling much more optimistic about the situation now - if she does have a shunt, at least we have an answer. The other vets took her off Synolux twice even though I repeatedly said it was the only thing keeping her eating. This vet is happy to keep her on whilst we investigate. Every time she eats properly I have a little cry - this has all been very emotional!
     
    Summercat and pennycat like this.
  17. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Thanks @Summercat. That is a good point about the money. She said she didn't realise that Willow was sick when I got her (even though there was poo around her bum and she was super skinny!). She said that she'd had her a week but her older cat was beating her up and it was really unfair to Willow who was frightened etc.

    Of course she should have introduced them slowly etc, so that's crap cat ownership. But I saw Willow on the video call and just wanted to get her out of that place and here in a safe place. She's only a week older than Mizu and I knew they'd love eachother, which they do. I'm glad I rescued her as I don't know what would have happened otherwise, but it has caused a tremendous amount of heartache and worry - even difficulties between me and my boyfriend as he has found it very stressful seeing me so upset on pretty much a daily basis and is also burnt out with caring for them!
     
  18. MizuMummy

    MizuMummy PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jan 18, 2021
    Messages:
    54
    Likes Received:
    11
    Do you think I should warn her about an RSPCA visit or just report her?
     
  19. Summercat

    Summercat PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2017
    Messages:
    8,103
    Likes Received:
    19,665
    Maybe just report her without giving them time to prepare and cover up.
    I doubt you will get any further with her.
    Her stories don't really make sense: she is afraid of him, so doesn't want you to report him or contact him but she herself has reported him...
    I think your wanting to rescue Willow is a normal response when one sees an animal in need. Dodgy breeders rely on that.
    Unfortunately, that allows them to make a profit and continue what they are doing.
    I would also report her to whichever site or place she was advertising Willow.
     
    MizuMummy likes this.
  20. Mahi Mahi

    Mahi Mahi PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2020
    Messages:
    31
    Likes Received:
    11
    Hey, I’m sorry to hear about what happened. I understand the anxiety of not knowing if your kitten has a shunt or not. Luckily, Mahi was fine. Hope your kittens are fine too. Also I would say to report the lady.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice