Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At what age??

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sammyben, Jul 30, 2009.

1. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Can I expect Sammy to start cocking his leg to pee?? He is 5 months and has showed no signs of this yet??

x

2. basi

basi PetForums Senior

It took my lad until he was 10 months old to do it, though some never do.

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Max still doesn't and he's 3 some dogs just never do but Buster and Silas it was about 8 months.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave started occasionally cocking his leg when he was 5 months, he is now 6 months and a bit, and does it most of the time.
    His brother has only just started cocking his leg though.

I once heard that a male won't cock his leg if he sees no example? But I know that's a load of old rubbish because we don't walk with any other males.
    I think its just at what level of puberty, and the hormones tell them they need to pee higher up to make sure other dogs smell it.

x

5. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

I think my Chi was 10 months...;)

6. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My Labrador is 12 months and he still doesn't do it.
    My old collie cross did it at around 8 months and he definately didn't learn it from other dogs (he was dog aggressive)
    x

7. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Arnie started cocking his leg at about 6 1/2 mths but it was a blink and miss it moment as he appeared to change his mind (poss a balance thing) but started doing it properly at 8 mths, now hes got the hang of it he's trying to get it higher.

8. sammyben

sammyben Guest

So just depends then, oh well at least I know its not just him not developing at the 'proper rate'

Thanks everyone x

9. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

My last dog was 13 when we he went to the bridge and he never cocked his leg once, Henrick is 12 months now and has never even attempted to do it.

10. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

chesters one he does it on walks, and the odd time in the garden other times he just leans him bum forward abit and wees all down his leg, or wees like a bitch.x

11. sammyben

sammyben Guest

lol, Sammy done that today...peed all down his leg. Walked him for an extra 5 mins to make sure it was all dried in before taking him in the house :rolleyes:

12. dipdog

dipdog PetForums VIP

lol we always have to wash his leg hes so crazy............

13. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Matrix is 2 and a half and still doesn't and my previous gsd was 10 when he died and never did cock his leg we always used to tease him because he looked so big and butch and yet 'peed like a baby'!! LOL

14. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

All dogs are different :cool:

My oldest was 6 months when he started doing it, my middle one is now 15 months and will only cock his leg if there's something to pee against otherwise he'll squat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice