Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At what age

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by GoldenShadow, Jun 29, 2009.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

is a puppy/adolescent dog meant to completely never ever play bite?

My friend has a labrador, the softest and sweetest doggy ever, but he does get a little bitey, he means it completely in a play way, but doesn't seem to take the hint that he isn't allowed to do it! With Roo, I simply told him no and ignored him after he did it, but it doesn't work for her dog and so I don't know what to suggest!

He genuinely means it in a play way, its hard to explain but there is nothing malicious in him at all. He will sidle up to people and chew on their toes with his bum in the air (can tell he's trying to play!), and wont bugger off. He gets plenty of stimulation, he just seems to think he is allowed to do it. Sometimes you can give him a belly rub and he will roll about and get into the silly dog mood, get all excited running about, she'll tell him in a low tone 'No Murph' and he will spin around and curl his lips as if to bite, but he wont, its like he's trying to instigate play? Other times he will nip fingers, I think because she has a habit of pointing at him when he is bad and so he is like 'yoink, got your finger!'.

He is about a year old now and was neutered at about 10 months I think if that makes any difference?

Any ideas/opinions appreciated guys, thanks :)

2. GoldenShadow

3. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I'd say he should really have grown out of it by now

i think it is a case of ignoring him and removing temptation when it is there.

Clenched fists rather than pointing fingers to stop the nipping

A raggy immediately he starts to nibble

Just a couple of suggestions

4. celicababe1986

celicababe1986 PetForums VIP

My mum has a Lab, he used to be just the same. Once we got him neutered he totally calmed down. but as you say he has already been done so I am confused :confused:. Sorry no help at all :rolleyes:

5. GoldenShadow

Thanks. I think he is just very playful, maybe he still has a few hormones raging! I will pass on the ideas thanks ;)

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

The handler has prob encouraged it when he was younger. With young pups they learn their bite inhabition with their litter mates or humans. When they bite and the litter mate or human squeals and ends the game, then the pup knows it's boundries. It sounds like this dog has never learnt this.

It could be also be a lack of respect for humans, maybe the owner is not displaying enough leadership.

With regards to his neutering.... He was only done recently and it can take several months before you see an improvement in his behaviour. However, this can not be counted on to change the behaviour.

Hope that helps x

7. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Tau still greets me by holding a piece of my anatomy in her mouth and wagging her whole body, she always has been very mouthy. When over giddy as a pup she was given time out in her crate to calm down, pretty much treated the same as her big sis Indie, not encouraged to get too excited etc, but she's just a different character. Tau's nearly three years old btw, and I don't think she'll ever grow out of it, its just how she is, I can even walk her on lead down the lane where I live (dead end with no other houses before anyone wonders why I'd do such an irresponsible thing ;)) by just having her hold the end of her lead in her mouth, rather than actually put it on, but then she is a retriever, and its nice to know there is some latent ability for something somewhere in there :D:D:D

With children in the equation, it can be difficult to keep things consistent, a pup might be encouraged to be excited and playful one minute and then has to be calm and the same game is discouraged the next.

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I think a dog will never stop play biting unless it is taught not to?
    If he has been alowed to do it, or thinks he can get away with it, then he will stll do it.

x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice