Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At what age would you...

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by sammyben, Aug 17, 2009.

1. sammyben

sammyben Guest

...let a puppy out the cage during the night??

Sammy is almost 5 months and is generally well behaved in the house, hasn't chewed anything and has not had an accident for ages now. But if I take him out the cage at night just now I'm worried this will all change.

Should I wait until he's a little older?

x

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

I dont crate train mine but i would say when they are clean

3. rona

rona Guest

If he is happy in his cage I would leave it until teething is definitely over ;)

4. Dundee

Dundee Banned

How long is a piece of string. I've left mine up for years sometimes, and although the door isn't closed they still go and sleep in there. Personally, 5 years would be too young for me. They will often still chew at that age, and while they may be clean, you could come down to a chewed sofa etc. etc. Obviously it depends on the breed and your set up - mine are renowned chewers as a breed ;) Just don't be lulled into a false sense of security ;)

5. kelseye

kelseye Banned

you could keep him caged up at nights for aslong as you like as its not crule its not like hes in it all day!!!
    pluss its safe in a way as when you are not around to see what the lil pup is getting upto or into it just give you as a owner peace of mind to know that he carnt choke on anythink and he not going to cause damage to himself (from eating house hold equitments)

hope this helps .....:)

6. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Me too. They also go through a second teething period which can catch you unawares.... if it ain't broke, why fix it?

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've never crate trained but if he's teething then until that stage is over and he's not having accidents ;)

8. JennieJet

JennieJet PetForums Member

Hi, I am in exactly the same position as you..my 22 week old lab puppy only sleeps in her crate at night...when she wakes for a wee (anyting from 6am onwards ) we let her out but then she has the free run of the kitchen etc while we go back to bed. We too are unsure of when to do away with the crate and just give her a bed ( my husband wants this ).....its just deciding when ???? I too am a little concerned if she will go backwards but you can always keep the crate in the garage etc until you are 100 % happy that you dont need it....we will make the change over once our lab is too big for her crate xxx

9. canvey

canvey PetForums Member

I have just removed my crate for My 8 month labradoodle and brought him a bed today.

To be honesty he doesn't really sleep that much in it anyway as i leave the door open on it and he prefers to sleep on the floor in the study which is where his crate is.

I have a baby gate on the door so he can't wander around the house at night and this is also where he is put when i have to go out.
    I know he is safe here and can't dstro anything if he wanted too.

They do tend to go through a chewing stage at around 5- 9 months in which they are bedding in the adult teeth.

When he is older i will probably stop closing the gate on the study door and let him have a wander but not quite yet.

10. sammyben

sammyben Guest

Thanks for the replies...he is a choc lab and I know they are supposed to reknowned (sp?) for their chewing but like I say he hasn't yet (although saying that he did just destroy his bed today - 2nd one lil bugger :D). If we were to let him out the cage at night I would still keep it for a wee while and just keep the door open and he would only have the run of the kitchen at night, but I'll maybe leave another 3/4 months as he is still teething at the moment and I really don't want to replace any skirting boards :D

x

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Both of mine sleep in their crate all night. My older dog is 2 and the younger 7 months I would not trust him all night not to get up to mishceif! Lol
    He knows that being in the crate means time to settle down I would worry leaving him out would be too much of a temptation to be naughty! Lol

I would certainly leave it until teething is done with.But if he is happy in there, why change it? You may find it unsettles him.

x

12. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Candy is the first pup I have had in a cage. She seems very happy to go in at night so I think I will continue. She has never had an accident in there and she is defintely the first pup I have had that has been clean from 10 weeks old. It is very useful with a small dog especially to have it happy about going in a cage as there are all sorts of times you might need one for convenience when they are adults.

13. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Mine still sleep in their crates at 2,3,4, and 5. We did try at the end of teething to move Buster and Silas into beds it didn't work they just wanted to stay in the crates so we just kept them. If they like them why change

14. Oblada

Oblada Guest

I dont crate so I dont really know but at 5 months I would certainly let me dog choose to be out or in the cage.... I dont think you need to remove the crate, quite the contrary, but if I were you I would certainly consider starting using it with an open door policy...
    But then its only my opinion and I would never be able to lock my boy personally!

15. debtherat

debtherat PetForums Member

i have a 9 month old lab and a 6 month old collie cross and they have always slept in my bedroom- obviously this isn't to everyone's taste tho- I had the lab from 8 weeks and the collie mix from 11 weeks If they needed the toilet in the night they would wake me, which I didn't mind, but this was only for a couple of weeks each. They sleep through the night, until I get up, don't get up to mischief, although i sometimes wake up to find 2 bed companions. I recently 'fostered' a 11 week staffy for a couple of nights and she did the same. I personally don't mind this, but i know lots of people prefer their bedroom to be a dog free zone. In my experience though, dog's are happier and more settled sleeping as a 'family'..... or maybe I'm just lucky to have 2 exceptionally well behaved dogs...... (I think not lollipop!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice