Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At what age should portion control be introduced??

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by ChrisKon, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ChrisKon

ChrisKon PetForums Junior

Hey guys and gals,

I just had Max & Buena spayed/neutered and they're both doing fine!
    Well, Max is but Buenas collar is making her feel like :mad2:

The vet said that now is the time to be reducing their food intake.

From research and petforum discussions, I assumed that up until the 1 year mark, kittens should have access to food most of the time if not all the time!

They're both approaching 6 months. Max eats 250g of N.I per day (Big boy!), while Buena eats 150g a day.

Just wondering what your opinions are and what has worked best for you. Is now the best time for portion control or shall I continue their current feeding regime until they're roughly 1?..

As always, Thank you all in advance for your comments and guidance :thumbup1:

2. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Don't limit them yet. They've still got an awful lot of growing to do!

3. Sansa

Sansa PetForums Member

I got my girlcat already neutered, but my boycat almost doubled his weight between being neutered at 5 months and the time when his appetite started dropping off at about 1 year old - from almost 3 to 5 kilos. That was about when I started limiting their portions too.

Mind you, they still have days when they eat more and days when they eat less, and it also depends on the food (I think they could eat one 400g tin of Cosma in one sitting each, if I let them!), but they've keeping their weight stable for more than a year now (they're almost 2), and I guess it worked out all right.

4. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

I don't think you should limit until they are a year old.

Gosh my Sophie is only 14 weeks old, and she's getting through between 200-250g of raw a day ON HER OWN!!

She's basically eating as much as fully grown Harry and Sabrina put together who have about 120g each a day :D

5. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I have found all my cats had big appetites whilst they were still growing. I never regulated their food intake whilst they were kittens, and none of them ever became overweight.

Most domestic short-haired cats (moggies) are fully grown by the age of 2, but some do continue growing until the age of 3, as do many pedigrees. Within that period cats often have growth spurts of weeks at a time, when they get very hungry, then they will settle down and want less food until their next growth spurt. Until by the age of 3 at the latest they settle into what will be their dietary requirements as adult cats.

Providing you are feeding a wet food diet with a high meat content, and preferably no, (or very few) carbs, you should not need to regulate your kittens' intake of food, as they will do it themselves.

It is dry food that is so bad for them as they tend to scoff whatever is put down for them, and it is very fattening, and unhealthy for them.

EDIT: if you are referring to cone collars, are you sure your cats need to be wearing these? None of mine ever wore them after spaying or neutering and none of them ever chewed their stitches. Maybe try removing the collars whilst you are there to supervise and see what happens?

#5 chillminx, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  6. ChrisKon

Thanks for the reassurance everyone. That's what I thought. I will continue to feed as I am now...

Can I ask, can you overfeed on raw? could I feed more than 250g of raw?
    Max has already gone through 250g of N.I today and I know he'll be hungry before I go bed!

Hey Chillminx, Buena definately needs the collar, she has been biting at it! However I do have been taking it off often will I'm around as it's quite unfair really...

7. Space Chick

Space Chick PetForums VIP

Today I have put down 600g of raw :eek: so I'd say if he's hungry, go for it :thumbup1:

8. ChrisKon

Most definitely :eek:

Is that for one kitty?...

Well I'm going to go for it!! Max is a big boy! He needs big food! :D

9. tincan

tincan PetForums VIP

I think i have said before , tho not in this thread , my 2 coonie girls 10.5 & 8.5 mnths eat 500grms of raw a day between them plus 200 grms of smilla tinned ..... they are growing girls , as far as i am concerned they self - regulate their feeding ...... some days they eat more than others.... i am happy to feed them what they want atm ... they have fits and spurts as to how much they eat ... these ladies will continue to grow till possibly 3 or 4yrs old ..... They know when they are full , i do not feed them any dried food at all .... i am very happy to indulge them :)

10. broccoli

broccoli PetForums VIP

i dont think mine have grown length wise :eek: since 1 yr old - gali (2 1/2 yrs) certainly similar weight each vet trip. newton has 'filled out' mostly muscle - he did pile it on when injured, he is the most active so eats more, then lost the podge when able to be NFN - Normal For Newton:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice