UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just interested ............. at what age, have puppies (in general) done most of their growing upwards? I know some go on growing until they are 16-18 months or more but I thought that was more filling out than height?

My friends dog is 2 and a half now, was neutered at 9 months, and had reached most of his full height by between 6 and 7 months old. He grew maybe an inch maybe 2 maximum after that, and then filled out into more of an steady adult instead of a gangly pup. Is that normal age wise? or does it vary from dog to dog?

I see some dogs at 5 or 6 months old and think they look huuuuge but then they dont tend to grow much more so although they are still very much puppies in their behaviour etc, but physically they are almost as big as the adults of that breed.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Depends on the eventual size of the dog I think. I have a large breed who I think is just about finished growing height - wise at 2 years old but still has some filling out to do. Between one and two years of age he grew 10cm in height and length - I know as I measured him for coats! He is entire.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I think it depends on breed of dog too. I read that toy poodles have usually reached maximum height at 6 months so I am presuming Abi has stopped growing (upwards) now at 7 months.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Well Sam is nearly 7 months and about the same size as Oscar my 4 year old. Both the same breed and Oscar is quite tall anyway so I'm hoping he's slowed down now or else he's going to be huge! :eek: :D

G

·
Our Stan stopped his upward shoot at about 8 months old but carried on filling out for a few months.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
Spencer doesn't seem to have grown much since I got him at 9 months old. He's 18 months now. He has filled out some though, the collar and harness he came with no longer fit him despite him being slimmer now than he was when i got him.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
I am just interested ............. at what age, have puppies (in general) done most of their growing upwards? I know some go on growing until they are 16-18 months or more but I thought that was more filling out than height?

My friends dog is 2 and a half now, was neutered at 9 months, and had reached most of his full height by between 6 and 7 months old. He grew maybe an inch maybe 2 maximum after that, and then filled out into more of an steady adult instead of a gangly pup. Is that normal age wise? or does it vary from dog to dog?

I see some dogs at 5 or 6 months old and think they look huuuuge but then they dont tend to grow much more so although they are still very much puppies in their behaviour etc, but physically they are almost as big as the adults of that breed.
When dogs have finished growing depends on when the growth plates close.
Different growth plates close at different times as far as I can remember. Last between about 9mths to a year, by 9mths they should be more or less done certainly by a year for the average size breeds, although breed and overall size plays a part too. Large and giant breeds it can be up to about 18mths before they have all closed I think. Growth is slower as they grow though you get rapid growth earlier on then it slows down as time goes on. My two in the earlier months seemed to grow visibly almost.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.