Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At what age do you .......................

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by nat1979, Jul 25, 2009.

1. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I wanted to know what age you get your puppies jabs done
    My vet does mine at 10wks and 12wks and wont do a mircochip untill after 12wks

But i used another vet who would jab my pups at 8 wks so they can go to they new homes with they 1st jab and i can get them mircochiped at this age as well

What do people think is the best age to get jabs done????
    or what does you vets say?????

And what age do you think is ok to get a puppy mircochiped????
    And what age does you vets allow for a puppy to mircochip?????

2. Indie

Indie PetForums VIP

Our vet does jabs at 8 and 10 wks.

3. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

my vets do them at 9 and 12 weeks. Microchip is normally done at 2nd injection. I guess it would depend on the size of dog, im dreading Pipkin getting chipped hes so small gonna ask vets when he has his 2nd.

4. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

There is hardly ever the same vet at my practise so it all depends on who's there. With our bitch, she was 8 weeks when we had her and were told to wait til 9 weeks for first jab and then 11 weeks for 2nd jab. With our Pyrenean, he was 7 weeks old when we had him and he was jabbed at 8 weeks and 10 weeks. They are all different.
    When we have a litter they will all be microchipped and had 1st jab before going to new homes. The guy that chipped three of our dogs has told us that he'll do it but didn't mention at what age so will have to check.

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Sky had hers at 9 and 11 weeks :)

6. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Our vets do jabs at 8 and 10 weeks

The also do the microchip with the 2nd jab but i like to leave them for another week or so

I wouldnt like 2 big needles in one go

7. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

Mine is 9 and 11 weeks and microchip at 11 weeks IF big enough. One pup from my dogs first litter was still deemed to small at second jab and had to wait a few more weeks although at that time i do believe i was able to do jabs at 6 and eight weeks, obviously this has changed since she last had them.

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Vets I know wont microchip a dog under 12 weeks as they think the dog is too small. Rupert is a golden retriever and was a big puppy and they wouldn't do him when he was 11 1/2 weeks, said he was too small still.

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Pipkins a papillon so is tiny, i dunno what age they will say.

10. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

My vet said its just because the needle is so big, I think some vets will do it younger etc but my vet seemed to think the smaller they are the more it hurts, maybe by 12 weeks most pups are past the tiny side and big enough for it I'm not sure...

My vet didn't say outright 'I wont do it now' he just said that he really wouldn't recommend and didn't want to do it.

11. Small~Fluffy

Small~Fluffy PetForums Member

Our vet does 8 & 10wks and our pup even though very tiny was fine.

I'm not a fan of microchipping.

DKDREAM likes this.
  12. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

My mum has paps and her pups were chipped at 12 weeks by the RSPCA. Bless um they were as good as gold :eek:

13. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

My vet gives vaccinations at 8(ish) and 10 weeks and will microchip at the second vaccination.
    They actually gave Otto his first vac. at 7 weeks 4 days but wont give the second one before at least 10 weeks.

14. kiera09

kiera09 PetForums Senior

Hiya, my vets does the first jab at 8 weeks,and the second at 10 weeks, not to sure about chipping,I do know some breeders send their puppies out chipped, xx

15. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I don't have my pups vaccinated before thy leave for their new homes simply because diferent vets use different brands of vaccination and if the persons vet does not use the same as my vet then they have to start the course again.

My vet does them at 8 weeks and 10 weeks I think although Zoe was 9 weeks when she was done and we had to wait until she was 12 weeks before she had her second but it was the locum who did her and thats what he told us to do.

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our first Bichon was 10 weeks when we got him and hadn't had his full jabs so he was 10 weeks and 12 weeks when he had his vaccinations. Our puppy Bichon had already had her first vaccination at 8 weeks and we got her at 10 weeks so she had her second one at 10 weeks. Our vet said he couldn't do the second vaccination before 10 weeks but she was just 10 weeks on the Sunday as we took her on the Monday so she was okay. She could go for walks 7 days after.

I had her microchipped when she was 12 weeks old and our other Bichon was already microchipped when we bought him.

17. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

My vet used a different brand on our puppy but never said it was a problem.:confused: Her breeder had already had the first vaccinations done at her vets but we live too far away to go back to that vets for the second vaccs.

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We were told by my vet that not all brands of vaccine are compatible and if the pup had had its first vaccination and the brand the second vet used was not compatible then they would have to start them all again

19. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I decided to get my litter vaccinated at 8 weeks for them to go with some immunity to their new homes.

I wouldnt do it again though because everyone of teh new owners called me worried as their vets had insisted on restarting the course as they use different products.

As for microchipping, my pug pup has been 4 times to the vet for various things, vacs etc and each time i have booked in for him to be chipped and they have talked me out of it. It will hurt, he is too small, wait till he is feeling better.

He is now 6 months and still not microchipped. Will book him in again! they even said wait till you castrate him. I said i wasnt intending on castrating and they said well we will do it next time i come :eek:ut:

Bee in my bonnet, am in the process of changing vets anyway, they arent pug fans! :rolleyes:

20. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Shots 8 and 10 weeks microchip at 12.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice