Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At the end of my rope - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by jrtmummy, Oct 23, 2018.

1. jrtmummy

jrtmummy PetForums Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I'm in desperate need of help.

SITUATION:

A little over a year ago, my husband and I opened up our hearts and home to a gorgeous little JR puppy. :)
    She's since grown into a lovely, athletic, affectionate and playful little creature - personality 1. Personality 2? Somewhat aggressive, little terror who isn't afraid to use her teeth. The bizarre thing is this behaviour only comes out when she is outside of the house. Inside, she's sweet and lovely, but when we step outside it's like her crazy switch is flipped. When we walk around the yard, she likes biting our ankles in a non-playful way, and persists even when told to stop, runs in circles around us, barks at us.I find it quite scary! (Though my husband doesn't). If we're gardening, relaxing or even playing fetch with her, she's her usual self, but when we walk around, that's when the teeth come out - literally!

Please could someone help me by offering advice or suggestions that I could use to stop this behaviour. I love her dearly but It's gotten to a point where I sometimes feel like getting her under control is beyond me and that giving her to a shelter would be the wisest option. If I could seek the help of a professional, I would, but we live in a remote part of our country and that simple isn't a feasible option.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I have had a very similar problem with our now 3 year old Staffy bitch.

I do have a very long garden and, if I began to walk to the top, Rudi behaved in a similar fashion. She would run around me in circles, barking and grabbing at my hands. If I was carrying a bag to go in the bin, she would grab the bag.

I'm certain Rudi's behaviour was over excitement, not aggression. She will still attempt the behaviour sometimes.

What I did was to teach Rudi a very firm "sit" and "enough". I also taught her to walk to heel.

When I need to go up the garden, I ask her to sit in front of me, then move her to my side by asking her to "heel". At first, she would begin to get excited after a few paces, so I would stop, ask her to sit and heel again.

These days, she will walk from the patio to the top of the garden next to me, with no circling or barking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice