Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At my wits end!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Pitbullx3, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Pitbullx3

Pitbullx3 PetForums Newbie

My husband and I adopted a 3rd pitbull in November of 2016. She is about a year old now. Things were great! We took her to training classes, the vet multiple times as she has had Giardia and demodex, and she seemed to be fully potty trained. Now she is refusing to poop outside and has done it in the house right in front of me. We do live in a snowy and cold climate during the winter months. We've tried the rubbing her nose in it and letting her know that's not ok. We make sure that the area is fully cleaned and washed and use the nature's miracle as well to get the smell out. I don't what else to do! Any suggestions?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

First, please don't rub her nose in it, it won't do any good whatsoever. It's quite an old fashioned idea that has long been discredited.

If this is a change, in that she has been clean up to now, it may have a medical cause so a vet check is needed. If that comes back as a clean bill of health it could be that she has hit adolescence. Some dogs do go backwards with housetraining then. So back to basics - take her out regularly, praise like mad and reward when she performs outdoors. She should want to hold her toilet until outdoors in order to earn the treat. Don't react at all when she toilets indoors, if she learns to fear your reaction (or fear getting her nose rubbed in it) she may well slink off to toilet out of sight - the last thing you want.

3. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Really? What good do you think that is going to do? If you scare her she will do it out of sheer fear.

#3 Calvine, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. danielled

danielled Guest

Well you can stop rubbing her nose in it right now, that is vile and cruel. Go back to basics. I hope your not in the uk as for some reason pitbulls are banned here.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. suewhite

suewhite PetForums VIP

Would you rub a childs nose in poo I don't think so why would you do it to a dog, that is supposing this is not a wind up post!!!

PixieSpoodle, Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I wondered about that, too.

PixieSpoodle likes this.
  7. danielled

danielled Guest

It better be a wind up post.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice