Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At my wits end!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by HollyM, Jun 10, 2010.

1. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get my elderly cat interested (he's 14) in toys. I got him the cat activity board Great deals on cat toys and accessories at zooplus: Cat Activity Fun Board which is specially designed with older cats in mind but he's just not interested! I've tried spraying other toys with catnip and that doesn't work! He liked a lazer pen i bought but he's gone off it. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.....not to be mean but he isn't....could that be it?

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

what else have you tried?

da bird?

pipe cleaner toys?

ping pong balls?

3. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Yes.....the lot!!!!!!! He needs exercise!

4. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

My 13 and 14 year olds like stringy toys but you have to move them quickly or they don't want to know. They also like the odd bird or mouse, lol but they're few and far between.

5. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hmmm

what about a game of hide and seek to make him work for his dinner?

The eventual aim is that he has to "hunt" out all his meal portions that you have "hidden" all over the house, take some time to train but my cats love it!

Start really simply by waiting until he is hungry (e.g. serve dinner a couple of hours late), and hide a morsel of it under a sheet of paper in front of him... instant reward when he has found it.. work your way up to shutting him in the kitchen while you run and hide all his food then let him out to go hunt it!

Excercise, reward and dinner in one go!

Remember where you put the food though, you dont want anything getting whiffy!

HollyM likes this.
  6. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

when i had my cat fluffy he never really played with toys more of a cuddle cat but he got his exercise when he want out side but when i got holly my ragdoll she wasnt much of a playrer eather but she an indoor cat so sow this at pets at home though it looked good shes never got bord of it since we got it for her and that was last year just befor christmas and she still plays with it hope it helps Cheese Chase 3-in-1 Cat Toy by Petstages
    Product Images

[1 of 1 customers found this review helpful]

Hours of Fun!
    By Dizzy from Norfolk, UK on 20/2/2010
    Pros:Durable, Easy to Clean, Fun, Pet Likes It
    Best Uses:Cats
    Describe Yourself:Long time Pet Owner
    Bottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend
    Comments about Cheese Chase 3-in-1 Cat Toy by Petstages:

This is a great fun toy for cats of all ages. We have 3 in our house and all 14 of our Maine Coons love them. One point to note is they can be a bit noisey when played with in earnest so don't keep one in the bedroom if you want some sleep.

Was this review helpful to you? Yes / No- You may also flag this review.

7. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

:idea: A kitten :D

8. Cat Detective

Cat Detective PetForums Member

String- - all cats love it - my 22 year old Benson plays with string !

Remember older cats lose their sight / hearing / smell so things like catnip, jangly toys etc lose their appeal - same with lazer - Benson finds it too quick but he will happily lumber after a piece of slowly pulled string !

9. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Katie 200 i wasn't going to get the cheese chaser as i didn't like the look of it, but if you say it works i will defo give it a go. Thanks everyone for their tips......going to try them all!

10. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

2 of my cats dont do play - Whatever you provide. Whilst my wild feral boy thinks having six dogs to tease is the greatest toy. He sits in the doorway looking at them and there all too scared to pass. Great game!!!!

kittens dont work with mine two work on the basis that all kittens should die and the other thinks smaller - mmmmmmmmmmm Dİnner!!!!

Waterlily likes this.
  11. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Sucsess....at least a tad anyway!! I was playing with my cat a moment ago, (well trying to!) waving the leather cat dangler toy about like a mad women and accidently hit his activity board and this aroused interest in him so i did it again and again. Eventually he walked over to the board and tried to get a biscuit out! I think he thought the leather wangler was trying to pinch his food! Well anyway it's nice to see a bit of life in him again....even if only for a short while!!:thumbup:

12. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

awww i know what you mean its nice to see cats play

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I recommend a vet check up. It's very possible Yitzach has arthritis, or something else bothering him, if he doesn't want to play any more.

Cats are masters at hiding illness and pain. Go ahead and bring him to the vet and get a senior profile done on him. Blood work to check all organ function, including thyroid, urinalysis, the works.

If all checks out you have peace of mind and a frame of reference for what's normal for him as he gets older. If something's going on you will have caught it early enough to be able to treat it more successfully.

<edit> in addition, you'll know Yitzach is in good condition to weather the new comer. :)

If it's arthritis, giving Yitzach cosequin for cats every day will give him a new lease on life, you'll be amazed.

Cosequin is a glucosamine supplement, just like what people take, but for cats.

#13 lorilu, Jun 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  14. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Thanks Lorilu......i think a health check would be a good idea.

15. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Glad he had a little play ;) keep us updated on the vet check - hugs(()))xxx

16. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Thanks, i will. He started playing with Da bird earlier, think it just took a little time to arouse his interest in it. Do you think a trip to the vet is still necessary?

17. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Well if he is playing I would say he is fine;) has he got some ongoing problems?? could be its just taken him a while to want to use his new toys - Jinks is a nightmare with new stuff takes him ages to show an interest;) xxx

18. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

He has a chronic bowel condition but i recently changed his diet and he seems alot better. Yeah i think it just took him some time with the new toys.

19. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

Aww sorry hun :( hope he gets better .....I would just keep an eye and see how he goes :)xxx

20. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

Will do....thank.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice