Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

At a loss and feeling deflated

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jayne31, Aug 15, 2019 at 5:52 PM.

1. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

Bonnie has another bout of cystitis, mild again and caught early but she's also being funny with her food. She is a grazer (as is Clyde), she's eating but then walks away, walks back looks at it then walks off. When I go into the kitchen she wanders up to me and makes her little chirruping noise as she clearly wants something but what that is I don't know.

It does just seem to be one thing after another with her, and with other things I have going on I'm near to breaking point. I have in the past couple years started to suffer with anxiety, at the moment it's not good and I'm wondering if Bonnie senses this and this is causing her cystitis bouts. She's a very nervy/anxious cat anyway, to the point that I now rarely, if ever, have people round, I worry if anyone wants to stay, I worry about putting the hoover on or having anything done round the house because of how she (and Clyde) are. That's no life for any of us.

Hopefully the Metacam will kick in and this is just yet another bump in the road of life

Soozi likes this.
  2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    I don't know your cats history but going by what you have said, I can add a few thoughts.

I have read recently that dogs and cats do pick up on their owners anxiety and it can make them anxious but that does not mean it is necessarily happening in your case.
    Have you tried anything like Zykeline or calming spray?
    Do you interact with the cats as you used to and play?

For the Hoover can you move them into another room or part of the flat or house when you clean one area.

With guests, it may be the more they get used to others coming round the less nervous they will be over time as they become more used to it.
    Do you have tall cat trees or such they can go to observe if they want but feel safe if people come round?

Hope you and Bonnie feel better.

Soozi likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Bonnie sounds very much like my Bunty though she has been a lot better lately. She gets stressed by lots of things. I suffer anxiety sometimes as well and I try hard to put on my happy face around her as I know if I'm not happy then she will pick up on it and it makes her more nervous. Are you giving Bonnie Cystophan or something like it for her cystitis? Toppy has suffered from it in the past and I give him one tablet a day in his food which seems to keep it at bay. Zylkene does help with nervous cats, Bunty was pretty good on that. She likes to hide under the bed a lot where its quiet so I always close the door and hoover so its not so loud as she doesn't like it either. I wouldn't worry about visitors as long as they have a safe place to go to away from things which worry them.

Soozi likes this.
  4. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

I've tried Zylkene, Feliway, pet remedy, Beaphar calming treats.....I bought some of their calming spray today and it smells revolting!

Bonnie has Cystophan, but with her being odd about her food at the mo I'm not sure how much she's getting. I am assuming these bouts are mild because of the Cystophan - so that's something.

I set aside some time in the evenings to play, Clyde has a fav piece of ribbon at the moment, and Bonnie has taken a liking to a detachable bra strap(!) I also have a laser toy as well. They have safe places to go should they need to, cat tree, windowsills are a favourite with them as well. If I do have people round they both go into the garden or upstairs and won't reappear until the guests have left. Bonnie can't be feeling that bad as she was chasing butterflies and feathers this morning, she was also standing on her back legs on top of the water butt cover peering over the fence into next doors garden - lol

Soozi and Charity like this.
  5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think we worry far more than is necessary, I know I do. Even though they are nervous, they can cope and as long as they have an escape route from the things which worry them, they are generally OK. :)

Soozi likes this.
  6. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

@Charity i think your right. Bonnie might not be eating much at the mo but at least she's eating, and it's not helping her or me if I keep poking and peering at her !

Charity and Soozi like this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Could I suggest adding water to her diet. If she has wet even a teaspoon of water will help. I also would suggest a wet only diet. No dry food.

It is tough with a condition that crops up with stress and anxiety. Your awareness of the situation will help massively as small changes will help. She may need space and also space that she is comfortable in. I am a great believer that cats are either tree dwellers or like to be at a low/bush height. She may need a high up hidey hole

Charity, Soozi and Treaclesmum like this.
  8. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

My Lorelei is people shy, and if the front door goes she growls like a little dog and runs upstairs to hide. The only person she doesn't do this with is my Mum, who has stayed at my house (and us at theirs) often enough to be trusted. Another friend of mine has one of their several cats that most visitors have never seen!

As it happens I don't very often have people round anyway, but I've learned not to stress too much when I do - Lori will take herself off upstairs (or outside if the weather is warm enough for the back door to be open), and will come and investigate further if/when she is good and ready. She's quicker with this with people who have been round multiple times, like my gardener. As soon as they go, she's back to normal.

Charlie-girl, on the other hand, is very laid back and friendly and loves a good visitor to make a fuss of :)

9. Jayne31

Jayne31 PetForums VIP

@bluecordelia i add water to their food as well and no longer feed dry. She seems more of either a high up hider or an under the duvet girl

@Jesthar they do come back in quicker these days so some improvement. I was really surprised the other day when I was talking to my neighbour over our fence and Bonnie and Clyde walked up to me, looked at my neighbour and didn't bat an eyelid! I've just given her her final dose of Metacam and she's now sulking upstairs. I really hope that this bout clears up with just the two doses like last time. I was meant to be going away this weekend but cancelled so I could be around just in case

bluecordelia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice