Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Asthma attack :(

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kori, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

I went to visit a friend last night and it's the first time I've been to her house. She had a gorgeous Siamese cat which sat on my lap and purred the whole time! It was lovely but within half an hour of playing with this cat, I started to feel ill and had to come home because I could feel myself getting wheezy.

I don't understand why I'd be allergic to this cat. I was never allergic to my own cats.

Recently I went to a friends house and within minutes of playing with her tabby my nose started running and my eyes started itching.

As the time of our kittens arrival approaches, I'm worried that I might be allergic to cats! Is it possible to be allergic to some cats and not others? Also, why would I get hayfever symptoms with one cat and asthma with another?

I am worried as our kittens are arriving soon. Didn't seem to have any problems with them during the visits but perhaps I wasn't there for long enough?

Any thoughts?

Kori

2. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

My friend is the same she was always ok with our exotic but we since lost him and now have a british shorthair of which i have to shut in the kitchen to lesson the ashtma as he really sets her off. Also my daughters fine with our cat but has been funny with others. Iwas always told its the cats saliva through cleaning not so much there fur.

3. xpalaboyx

xpalaboyx PetForums VIP

That's sad... especially for someone who love cats very much.

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

OOh thats a shame..:(

I know i cant touch Ginger cats for some reason i am the same..:(

5. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

I am the same. Hayfever, asthma and eczema are very closely related and triggered conditions. My bans cat had me in a terrible way and my eyes would swell closed. My own cat had me sneezing for a few days then fine. My 2 now had me in a bad way for about 2 months with all 3 conditions above even though I hadn't suffered from excema for years. It did get better though. There are amlot of precautions you can take if you do start reacting badly.

6. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

I think its possible you can build up an immunity to your own cats over time, I think the kittens may well start to effect you after a few weeks / month but there are some things you can try and remember to wash your hands after touching them, I know its a pain but I have to do it to my 3 even now years later.

7. kath123

kath123 Guest

Ive got asthma that is quite bad and also hayfever.

I am allergic to dogs and was worried before i got my sasha that i would also be allergic to cats. But i am fine with her, and she is a long haired and believe me when i say she malts like crazy!!!

I did however wake up the other morning and she was sat on my chest and i was ill for the whole day with my ashtma etc.

I think if you have asthma etc just try and not let them sit on you for long periods of time you should be fine. :D:D:D

8. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

You know what, everyones gonna laugh at me (as everyone usually does) when i say this but im allergic to white fur. So allergic that my asthma plays up. So i think they're could be a difference in fur types.

When i went to visit my second kitten (Kira) i felt my asthma playing up a bit but when we braught her home i never had any problems. I have noticed though if i dnt take my medication (sometime i forget :p) then my asthma might play up a little bit, i duno if thats due to the cats or just because i need to take my medication everyday.
    Or when i was younger i was allergic to EVERY animal possible. rats, cats, birds, mice, ferrets any pet really. But i think because i spent all my time with these animals my allergies arn't as severe. Not telling you to go out and cuddle loads of cats or anything lol :p but maybe you might become immune??

9. jandan

jandan PetForums Newbie

I am allergic to certain cats as well and when I go to cat shows I have to take anti-histamine tablets, when I asked my doctors why my own cats don't cause me to have asthma he told me that we can build up an immunity to the familiar things around us. When you vist your friend next time take a piriton about 1/2 hour before you go and see what happens (if you can take them that is)
    Janet

10. kidsandcats

kidsandcats PetForums Member

Hi Kori
    I was going to suggest Piriton as well. My niece is allergic to my Dad's cats and her eyes go red, itch and swell. She takes Piriton which really helps. Thing is she has cats at home too and is fine with them. I think it can depend on the cat and also how often you vacuum and dust etc. Not saying your friend doesn't but it she may not have done so before your visit. My brother has asthma and when he stays with my Dad has real problems but when he stays with me he doesn't. I have mainly hard flooring downstairs other than the lounge and I do generally vacuum most day (having kids increases the need as you know!) whereas my Dad doesn't so this probably makes a difference. If you are worried why don't you ring the lady you are getting your kitten from and ask her if you can go round again for another cuddle to see if you have a reaction. I am sure she will understand if you explain.
    I'll e-mail you later too, to catch up.
    Sharon
    x

11. Kori

Kori PetForums Junior

Thanks everyone!

You've put my mind at rest a bit. I've been to visit the kittens a number of times now so I think I'll be OK with them. It was just the Siamese cat that was causing me trouble and even then it was only when I was cuddling her.

I'll visit the kittens again just to be sure (any excuse to visit) but if I can build up an immunity to them then that will be good.

Thanks!

Kori

12. sarahcunny

sarahcunny PetForums Newbie

hiya kori, i've had a similar thing happen. i've had cats for 17 years up until we lost Ronnie last aug but at the end of may we decided to take the plunge and get 2 new kitties, we've had them for 2 months now and i get a bit wheezey with them of an evening if i've been handling them a lot or at weekends if i haven't got out of the house much. i'm hoping it'll stop soon once by body gets used to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice