Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Assisted training for kids

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Peter132, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Peter132

Peter132 PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

I recently got a lil girl, border collie, 5 months from a local breeder.

As by here character she really needs some challenges regarding here training. Currently I am still looking for the best way of training her. So far I plan to go for the clicker training. Therefore here is my question:

Do you have any experience using apps to additional support the clicker training?

I am currently testing Doggy Trainer - Clicker & Whistle on android.

As I already have a clicker at home this is probably not needed, but since my kids usually want to take her out too and don't take the clicker with them, this might be a good additional option.
    What do you think?

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Why would you need an app for clicker training? I don't think I understand?

The clicker itself is dirt cheap, I have drawers of them, usually free at most dog events. Like pens at doctors offices. But training can continue to happen whether you have a clicker with you or not.

Sorry, I just don't understand the point of the app :)

How are you clicker training?

Twiggy likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I don't think an app would help. I guess it just makes a click noise like a clicker?

I used to clicker train my neighbours dog. When I didnt have the clicker with me I used to use a "click" word. Ie a repeatable word that meant the same thing as a click. I used Yay! but any unique word thats short will do. Its not as precise as a clicker but in situations where you don't have the clicker on you it works fine.

As the above poster says clickers are cheap so give the kids a few and keep some round the house.

The kids will need to have treats to reward with if you are clicker training so make sure they keep the clicker with the treats then its all accessible.

Dogs are generally quite flexible when it comes to dealing with differences between family members.

Karen Pryor s website is a good resource for clicker training.

O2.0 likes this.
  4. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

kittih likes this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums Senior

One of the things about using a clicker is that it always sounds the same (unlike the human voice - as much as WE think we sound the same, to the dog it's different if you're tired, stressed, whatever). I find it hard to believe that an app reproducing the sound of the clicker (assuming that's what it does) is going to do the job accurately. I don't know, but just a thought - may be it won't make that much difference, but I'm with O2.0 on this - just buy a few clickers and tell the kids they cannot take the dog out unless they have the clicker with them. Of course, the trick with the kids as well - depending on how old they are - will be ensuring they use the clicker correctly (eg, not just to gain the dog's attention, etc.) Thinking about it, may be the best option is just to let the kids walk the dog, but not to do ANY training with her?

6. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

How old are ‘the kids’?

7. Chatcat

Chatcat Guest

I don't follow how it is more convenient to muck about with a phone than to just press a clicker.

Burrowzig and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  8. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, and the clicker doesn't run on batteries that can run down.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice