Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Assistance Dog Training

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JSummers4, Apr 10, 2011.

1. JSummers4

JSummers4 PetForums Newbie

Hey everyone,

My name is Josh and I'm 19 years old. Ever since I was a child, I’ve wanted to work with dogs; it’s just something that I’ve always been drawn to. I volunteered a few years back at a local dog training school. Whilst there, I learnt an unbelievable amount about training dogs, I read many books that I had recommended to me, I attended many workshops, it was a very positive experience.

I’ve realised that I would love to follow the path of training assistance dogs, as not only will I be working with dogs, I’ll also be helping people. I’m just after some advice on the best way to enter this career.

Any help much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Josh.

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I believe that most of the organisations training assistance dogs, prefer to train their trainers their way, so You may not need a great deal of previous experience. I would think there is a lot of competition for each vacancy, but contact them direct, see what they say. the one i can think of off the top of my head, support dogs - based in sheffield, canine partners for independence - based in portsmouth (I think) hearing dogs - selby & somewhere else. Shame you just missed crufts as they usually have a presence there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice