Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Asking to go out

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by happybonzo, May 30, 2010.

1. happybonzo

happybonzo PetForums Junior

Is there any way of training one's dog to bark when he wants to go out?

My dog moves very quietly and I don't know that he is at the back door and wanting to go out; short of moving the chairs and TV into the kitchen has anyone any suggestions?

2. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

They usually find some way of their own to let you know.

My son's dog flicks the cord pull on the roller blind so that it hits the window.

Heidi will run to the door of whichever room we are in and look back to see if we are watching - that is our cue. If we miss it then she comes over and digs our leg, then runs to the door again.

Sorry cant help with how to teach them to ask but I'm sure someone more helpful will be along shortly :thumbup:

3. Maz&Oozy

Maz&Oozy PetForums Member

Weve this problem, my lad rarely barks so what I have done is bought a parrot bell and hung it by the back door, so every time he wants to go out all he has to do is bash it or pull it and we here it and get up and open door, we only put it up other day but he is starting to get the idea. Every time he ring it we get up and open door, my friend pup caught on within a week or 2 so maybe try something like that. Plus she takes her bell to other people houses and shows him where she has hung it so if out all day he lets her know there too so no accidents at peoples homes, he's now 11 months old.

the way we hung it is a old fabric lead hooked round the door handle and bell attached to the clip, its a big bell so no harm can come from it.

(if you want a pic let me know)

:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice