Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Asking for Tips/Techniques || Introducing a New Adult Female to a Male

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bross, May 12, 2014.

1. Bross

Bross PetForums Newbie

Hello all, looks like a very nice forum—

I joined because we have a dilemma we need some help with.
    About 1.5 months ago, a cute female cat showed up at our doorstep.
    We fed her and kind of took care of her every day for about 2 weeks and eventually decided to adopt her.
    She is tricolor, very small, sterilized and very quiet/shy. She is very people friendly and kind of submissive; she attacks from time to time but that's just a matter of time.

Problem is this:

We have a 3 y/o adult male in the house. He is a charmer and amazing.. but also very territorial.
    At first—things were normal, they didn't like each other, roared often and so forth.

We introduced them overtime and now—a month after—we reached a point where they can somehow stay in the same room and we can even leave the door open during the day (we don't imprison her anymore).

Problem is that he's not so keen on letting her be. He attacks her at every chance he's got making her run to places she can hide from him. It gets loud at times and is not pleasant. I must say that she is very submissive—she does not attack him at all, but comes to us for protection (Or hides).

We nurture both of them with a lot of affection, food and comfort zones. They get what they need as far as I see it.
    We'd like to get to a point where they can either let each other live, or even better—like each other.

Can anyone help with some tips/techniques for taking the introduction to the next step?

Thanks a lot!

#1 Bross, May 12, 2014
    Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

Hi Bross and welcome to PF.

Are you sure this cat doesn't belong to someone? Have you taken any steps to find her owners? Cats do go wandering sometimes and even go visit other houses, so they should not be immediately adopted assuming they are stray.

If she is homeless, then it sounds as though you haven't taken enough time with the introduction process, which can take many months. Cats should be completely separated and introduced gradually, step by step, to give the best chance of them being friends or at least tolerating each other.

My concern is that with the current behaviour you describe either your cat or both could soon begin to show stress behaviours including scent marking, toiletting in inappropriate places, and worse. Once these behaviours become habit, they can be hard to break.

3. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

'Adult male'. Do you mean un-neutered?

4. Bross

Bross PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

@ CoCoTrio's -- He is neutered, no aggression whatsoever due to hormones.
    @ ForeverHome -- We did take all measures to ensure she didn't run away and we are 100% certain she's not a runner.

Do you have any tips for starting a process where he'll eventually stop attacking her? It doesn't seem as if separation is a solution in this particular case.

He is not roaring at her anymore and seems like sometimes he wants playtime, but she's not responding too well as she's scared.

Thanks!

5. CoCoTrio

CoCoTrio PetForums VIP

Glad to hear he's neutered. Can you keep them separated more? Allow them to get used to each other's smell on toys and so on? Take it very slowly? Even more slowly?
    I have no experience of this situation, hope someone else can help.

6. ForeverHome

ForeverHome PetForums VIP

That's not what I was asking. You say she turned up on your doorstep but how do you know she is a stray and you haven't just stolen somebody's pet? I'm not having a go at you just asking if you have tried to find out if she already had a home and someone is missing her.

The introduction process does involve keeping cats separate and letting them get used to each other in a gradual step-by-step process. It sounds like your boy is defending his territory from what he sees as an invading newcomer. If so, he has to get used to the idea that she is friendly, and it's up to you the human to manage that one step at a time so that he accepts her and doesn't keep attacking her.

Can I ask why you think the introduction process doesn't apply in this case?

However - if this cat is being missed at her own home she should be returned, so this is why I'm asking if you have done everything you can to find out if she has a home before deciding to adopt her. I've had cats turn up on my doorstep that would have been perfectly happy to move in with me, and the distraught owners have been very happy that I have tracked them down and returned their much-loved pet to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice