UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I tried Cuddles on the Asda Tiger pate with Lamb today and she seems to like it, clean bowl speaks volumes. I have enclosed a breakdown of ingredients and was wondering if it is healthy and why they include sugars in it?

Analytical Constituents:
Protein 9.5%
Crude Ash 2.0%
Crude Fibres 0.4%
Moisture 82.5%
Fat Content 5.0%

Composition:
Meat & Animal Derivates (Lamb min. 4.0%) Minerals, Various Sugars

Additives Per KG:
Cassia Gum 4.8g

Nutritional Additives
Calcium iodate anhydrous 0.5mg
Manganese Sulphate monohydrate 3.5mg
Vitamin D, cholecalciferol 200iu
Taurine 1000mg

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Would I feed it to my cats? No, I wouldn't. But, knowing how fussy Cuddles is with wet food (what happened to you feeding PoN?), you perhaps should just count your blessings that she gets more variety in her diet than worry about added sugar (added for a variety of reasons, including making the food more shiny and appetising looking).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would I feed it to my cats? No, I wouldn't. But, knowing how fussy Cuddles is with wet food (what happened to you feeding PoN?), you perhaps should just count your blessings that she gets more variety in her diet than worry about added sugar (added for a variety of reasons, including making the food more shiny and appetising looking).
what happened to you feeding PoN?
She's only likes the lamb flavour of the PON, won't touch the Chicken, Beef or Rabbit ones. Last time I fed the PON Lamb she left it for 24 hours and refused to eat it (Still got some tins of the lamb and will keep trying to see if she will take to it again). She is back on Sheba (Chicken & Turkey Delicious Morsels, Chicken & Lamb, Rabbit in Delicate Gravy and Beef in Jelly these are the ones she likes at the moment).

It done my head in trying to get her on meat, even though the quality isn't that great with the Sheba at least she is eating it :D

I just tried the Asda Tiger Pate because I just saw it on the shelf and grabbed one and one pouch as well (She won't touch the pouch, but will the pate). Will just feed this as an occasional treat.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I had thought maybe the cats like a sweetener in wet food and that was why wet food is more likely to lead to tooth decay?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had thought maybe the cats like a sweetener in wet food and that was why wet food is more likely to lead to tooth decay?
I was just curious why they added sugar into the Asda Tiger pate because I haven't come across it in the Sheba tray food or the Power of Nature Food as an ingredient, it just seemed a bit of an odd ingredient to add :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
The amount of sugar added in cat food is minimal and unlikely to lead to tooth decay by itself. It certainly is not comparable to the likes of a bottle of coke that contains a vast amount of sugar. Cats also have very limited ability to taste sweet things (as far as I know).

Given the choice, however, would I feed a food that contains added sugar (which aren't necessary from a cat's nutritional point of view but can be added as part of the manufacturing process for processing purposes; largely to please the human eye) if my cats eat foods without added sugar? I certainly would not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The amount of sugar added in cat food is minimal and unlikely to lead to tooth decay by itself. It certainly is not comparable to the likes of a bottle of coke that contains a vast amount of sugar. Cats also have very limited ability to taste sweet things (as far as I know).

Given the choice, however, would I feed a food that contains added sugar (which aren't necessary from a cat's nutritional point of view but can be added as part of the manufacturing process for processing purposes; largely to please the human eye) if my cats eat foods without added sugar? I certainly would not.
I don't understand why the manufacturers want to make something appealing to the human eye as we aren't the one's eating it :D What caught my eye was the packaging when I glanced at it in passing in Asda. and thought I should see if Cuddles would like it, and she did. But reading what you have put here Hobbs I think I should just stick to the Sheba (I feed her this because as most you know it has been a nightmare finding her a wet food she likes and this one seems to take her fancy and is her favourite. I know it's not the best one to feed but at least she's eating it) and encourage Cuddles to eat the PON Lamb as well.

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
I don't understand why the manufacturers want to make something appealing to the human eye as we aren't the one's eating it :D What caught my eye was the packaging when I glanced at it in passing in Asda. and thought I should see if Cuddles would like it, and she did. But reading what you have put here Hobbs I think I should just stick to the Sheba (I feed her this because as most you know it has been a nightmare finding her a wet food she likes and this one seems to take her fancy and is her favourite. I know it's not the best one to feed but at least she's eating it) and encourage Cuddles to eat the PON Lamb as well.
The same reason why they would add colourant to make meat look more reddish meaty - not just in pet food btw. Or why they would add colourant to tinned peas to make them look greener - the human eye is powerful and affects quite a lot of food decision making; not just human food.

See, if I were you I would feed the ASDA pate stuff as part of a rotation - I personally think that Cuddles would benefit from having more variety in her diet and getting used to eating different things. Then when you find a "better" food, you ditch that one from the rotation.

·
Banned
1,595 Posts
I think sugar acts as a preservative too, which is why sweets, chocolate etc dont go off quickly.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.