Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

As breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by candysmum, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Hi Holly and welcome, probably best if u start ya own thread an we can all have a chat :D

2. Devil-Dogz

Devil-Dogz PetForums VIP

aw thanks :) The cats are mental :D
    Yes its frustrating, for us being passionate about a breed goes past the wanting to produce good quality pups, we also want to protect them .. Of course all breeders cant/dont have the time to constantly have rescues in so its good we can help.

What bugs me is its always the good guys that get shot down for standing against everything they work agaisnt ....

#42 Devil-Dogz, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. Bijou

Bijou PetForums VIP

The demand for well bred dogs remains as high as ever - I currently have a bitch I hope is in whelp ( scan on Monday ) and have 16 names on my puppy list already -the pups are not due until early May and I've had to close my list - I know that the ones that are unsuccesful will either go to another recommended BSD breeder or wait until my next litter - what they WONT do is go and get a Staffy ( or any other dog ) from rescue - why ? because they want the unique and specific traits that my breed has - and they also want a pup that's well bred and raised - and they can get none of those things from rescue ....if those of us currently breeding high quality pups stopped who do you think would fill the gap ? - the demand for specific breeds would still be there but it's the puppy farmers who would fullfill it - and without the safety net that good breeders currently provide which ensure that what THEY breed does not end up on rescue !

#43 Bijou, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  4. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I quite agree with this and the other posts. I have no idea of the history of candysmum's breeding experience so cant comment on that but I cannot see why it would make any difference to rescue kennels.
    If you want a certain breed you go to a breeder not kennels.
    I wanted an older dog but in my specific choice of breed so I did try breed rescue but got no response at all so I bought a puppy.
    I had tried poodle rescue in the past too, and had spoken to a lady who was very rude to me. I was not too bothered if I had a miniature or a standard and she took the attitude that if I did not know which I wanted I was not a fit owner for either of them. Stupid woman!

5. firsttime

firsttime PetForums Newbie

Here in the states, kennels are full. In my case I would not want a rescue dog of any type. I believe that you can look at all types of breeders and find some thing people don't like about them. People can say we should rescue but the facts are that when most people want a dog they are thinking of a puppy. I support the places that care for the rescue dogs, spca, and other places like this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice