Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

As breeders

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by candysmum, Mar 24, 2011.

1. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Many breeders the good ones sit and say they are breeding for the good of their breed, to better their breed.

I know many people that HATE all breeders and i see why too.

With every litter we breed we are taking x amount of homes from the dogs sat in shelters.

My litter took 9 potential homes away from dogs in shelters. I am fully aware of it and its a sad sorry world.

As breeders if you stood and counted every puppy you had brought into the world and then count how many dogs we could of saved from shelters it breaks your heart.

Sadly this world is not a nice place and as breeders we do all we can when we breed sadly sometimes we get it wrong no one is perfect.

I have rescued in my lifetime over a good 20 animals not all dogs. it doesn't justify the 9 i brought into the word becasue we breed the ansimals faster than people take them out of shelters.

I will say I bred my dalmatian, I did get some of it horribly wrong and i did take 9 homes away from animals in shelters. But i hold my chin up high with the fact i did my best by those animals in my care and the ones i brought into this world some do not agree, but only ONE person will ever know just how much they do for the animals in their care and how much they did for them. That person is the breeder.

No breeder can hold their head to high and be to rightous because with every animal you bring into the world sadly another animal is left in shelters or in the worse homes possible.

This isn't here to attack anyone and its not here for you to attack me. this is an opinion i would like to share and get other peoples views on.

We breed for one reason or another but in the same respect we are adding to the misery of other animals.

I'm not perfect, but i try my best and do my best for every animal i come into contact with.

2. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I see your point hon, but not eveyone would go down the rescue route and it's not for everyone if i'm honest, dependant on breed as well :)

Cara has just had a litter of 10 Rotts, I own her in partnership with my breeder who is now a dear friend, we bred for the lines and to keep something back for show, I have a rescue boy and will always have at least one in my home, more if I had the room, but I also like my good pedigrees as i enjoy showing, u can't get that with a rescue dog, what i get from rescue is the sttisfaction of giving a dog a great home, boundaries and training which alot lack, that gives me great pleasure too :)

I donate monthly to 2 Rott rescues and help where I can, also said if I ever breed, then I would make a large donation from a litter of pups as I wouldn't feel right profiting from them, fortunately i'm in a postiion to do that as me and my OH are high earners, so deffo wouldn't be doing it for the money, but that decsiion is a long way off, and may never happen :)

Starlite likes this.
  3. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

If this is the way you feel why did you have a litter?

I must say I have wrestled with this question too and that is why we ONLY ever breed a litter if I want to keep a Dalmatian. I will only have a litter if I have enquires BEFORE the litter is born and ONLY if I can afford the health tests and to care for the puppies. It has cost us £1500-£2000 per litter. I have owned Dalmatians for 20 years and had just two litters. I ALWAYS place breeding endorsements on my puppies pedigrees too.
    I decided to join British Dalmatian Welfare committee (Our breed rescue) so that I could put something back into the breed. I also volunteer twice a week at a local animal shelter and raise money for local animal charities.

The issue we should be addressing is puppy farmed dogs. Puppy farmed dogs certainly account for the majority of the 130 Dalmatians our charity re-home each year. Puppy farmers are driven purely by money they have little thought for vetting homes, giving realistic information about the breed and wont provide aftercare. Some now realise that by having their puppies health tested they can get more money for them. I had the misfortune to meet one such breeder at the Animal Health Trust when I had my last litter hearing tested, horrible, arrogant man he was too.

As you have said if you have provided the best care that you can and you have vetted and selected the best homes then good for you. Hopefully your puppies will have a great life and grow old with their owners. Would you be able to take a puppy or puppies back if an owner was no longer able to keep their dog? Maybe Candysmum you would feel better by doing some animal charity work?:)

#3 Dazadal, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  4. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Yes i agree with you there too, i know eeryone wouldn't hence the potential homes bit LOL, I love my Dalmatian and her breed, hence why breeding her! i would have kept one back had i not had the issues i did in the end.

There are good and bad points to both sides. x

5. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

We tried the rescue route before we got our 2nd dog and it didn't work out for us.

It not always that easy to get a rescue dependant on what dog you want and the Rescues policies.

A lot in rescue have to be the only dog, not homed with cats or young children etc...........

Plus we love our poodle crosses and with the recent exception of those cockapoo puppies that came onto manytears recently have never seen ANY in rescues.

Although I hasten to add when we looked into rescues we were looking at all sorts from pures to crosses to mongrels :001_smile:

6. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I do a lot for animals already, I foster and rehome. my last one was a lurcher and he left 3 weeks ago, we just lost out own rescue so having a break for a while!

I will admit the main reason this post has gone up is becasue i am fed up to the back teeth of being attacke by some of the forum members on here who believe i'm an irrispoable breeder and have pretty much called me a back yard breeder.

Wanted to make a point i guess and have a nice adult discussion with people.

Why did i breed my girl like you i had a waiting list a long long one. I have only had one litter, I was going to keep one back then i decided not too when i had some issues then she threw a deaf pup and i knew all pups and mum had to be spayed/neautered to do what i could to protect her breed.

I am a memeber of the Dalmatian society too. It was them that helped me at one stage with some issues we had here.

I dont feel people shouldn't breed to better the breed i just want to see how many breeders realise that we do also sometimes take homes away from animals already sat in shelters. x

7. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I bred a litter.. Then I saw the light.. I realise that there are far to many dogs in rescue.. Not just mixes.. But pedigree's as well.. :(

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

I have had a rescue dog and he was wonderful, I now have pedigree dogs and they are wonderful too
    I dont want to be in a world where all dogs look the same, I want there to still be breeds and well bred examples of the breed as well.
    I don't want to be in a world where we are constantly picking up after others stupid decisions, yes those dogs in rescue deserve loving homes but I stand by my belief that it is not good breeders or good owners (barring death) who have put them there, if for whatever reason I could not keep either of my dogs their breeders would have them back instantly.
    Dogs are a privilege and not a right and I think that it is also peoples right to chose what dog they want, for the purpose that they want it for.
    Yes there is many rescue dogs fantastic at agility, some in obedience etc.
    But for me, I want to show. So my next dog will be a show prospect dog. That is my choice, in order to keep breeds regardless of peoples opinions on the show world we need to keep showing and breeding show dogs. (This also applies to working but I dont know enough about that)
    If I were not to be buying a show dog, would I be getting a rescue dog - no -so in this instance it makes no difference to the rescue situation.
    When I am older and perhaps made a decision not to show then I will rescue, older dogs, uglier dogs :rolleyes: whatever others dont want.

There are many things that could be done to improve the rescue situation in this country, but stopping great breeders breeding great quality health tested dogs is not one of them.

9. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Candysmum
    I have sent you a private message :D

#9 Dazadal, Mar 24, 2011
  10. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

And i have responed :D

11. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i had no intention to breed when i got my 1st sibe and i wouldnt have if i hadnt been encouraged and advised by others i trusted and respected in the breed, and even with all the help from my mentors not eveything went right but at least i know i took advice from those who had greater knowledge of my breed and of breeding dogs in general...i would never have just gone ahead blindly.

ethical breeders arnt responsible for the rescue situation, some people want a well bred puppy maybe to show at a later date so a rescue isnt always an option and if the good breeders stopped breeding there'd only be the ones who cut corners left...also what people have to realise is the breed specific rescues are the ones often run and supported by these ethical breeders (like Raindog and Crazycrest on here for example), they pick up the pieces of the byb's and puppy farmers....i also know quite a few who show my breed who have taken on a rescue sibe or two:).....so although i'll never breed again if in the future when my lot are past it :eek: and i want to continue showing i want to beable to buy a puppy from one of the excellent breeders out there, we will most definatley be adopting a rescue sibe when we have room too:)

#11 noushka05, Mar 24, 2011
  12. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

I do wonder if while we beat up people who home breed a litter and do the very best for them. While puppy farmed dogs go on being bred with little care for the health or well-being of the parents or puppies and all the associated problems this can cause. :eek:
    I don't think that by stopping having homebred litters would solve the problem in fact it would drive more and more people into the arms of puppy farmers. Sadly there are lots of dogs of all breeds in rescue centres. I don't think this would automatically lead to everyone going to the shelter to get an unwanted dog. We should be supporting good practice from breeders and tightening up on Puppy farms. Puppy farms are certainly why breed rescues are full of dogs needing new homes. :cryin:

13. Dazadal

Dazadal PetForums Member

Hi guys
    Maybe take a look at the Dog chat forum there is a thread "New puppy farm programme" I took a look at the Puppy Love website and have written to my MP and friends to lobby for tightening the laws to monitor puppy farms. All dog lovers should be helping fight this cause.

14. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

So agree with you Dazadal. The lurcher i just had rescued/fostered and homed was from such a place he was in an awfuls tate when he came to me. the miunte he was brought in the front door he was wormed adn what was coming out was horrible, but the "breeder" swore she had been wormed twice!

He was wormed, fed up, house trained, health and happy when he left me. came to me with a dull coat and his tail lived between his legs such a scared little lad. but left happy and healthy. Its breeders like his we need to stand up against. We were told he was 6 months i looked at him said no more like 4, the vets agree'd he was 4 months too.

15. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Not meaning any disrespect to the OP, but threads like these really annoy me because the argument they put forward is fallacious. The premise that responsible breeders of healthy, happy dogs should stop breeding is ridiculous and will not result in people adopting a dog from a rescue shelter. If people can't buy the dog they want, they are just as likely not to buy a dog at all.

All that will happen if responsible breeders stop breeding is that puppy farmers will continue to breed; shelters will continue to be full of unwanted, unhealthy dogs, and the final result of such a scheme will be no fit, healthy examples of any breed available anywhere.

16. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Where did i say they should stop breeding in fact i didn't please re read the post and the thread i'm not against breeding at all. How can i be I am a breeder. it was just something that i wanted to have an adult conversation about. and how people feel about it and the affect it can and likily does have on shelter animals. Not all people agree with breeding, and i wanted to know if some breeders could see why some people might not like breeding at all (good or bad) when we have some many animals in shelters.

It was nothing to do with we shouldn't be breeding becasue we should be to help make our respective breeds better. Dealing with the health issues that a lot of breeds have, Hips in labs and GSD, Hearing in Dallies, etc etc.

Please dont be annoyed thats not what the post is for.

17. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I don't see anything wrong with responsbile breeders breeding atall and really don't see it as taking homes away from a rescue dog. When I got Blu I wanted a show dog so I would have waited as long as it took for one to come along. I wouldn't have went to a rescue because they wouldn't have what I was needing/wanting.

There is always going to be those who want just rescues, those who want a well bred pup and those who would be happy with either.

I'm not sure if people realise the amount of work that show people do for breed rescues and finding dogs homes quickly. There was recently alot of standard poodles needing homes and between everyone that shows and their contacts we got them all rehomed near enough over night. If it wasn't for the breed rescues then these dogs could have ended up waiting awhile for the right homes.

18. As much as I would like to agree I dont.

Many people will not have a rescue dog for whatever reason (maybe worried about having it around their children or just cant get attached to a dog thats been abused).

My first litter I know for a fact is not taking rescue places because I am keeping 1 or 2 of the pups myself and IF she has the average litter size (4) one is going to a very good friend of mine who is a sheltie breeder and the other is going to a avid show person in the breed who already has 4 shelties (2 show, 2 pets).

In shelties its rare that any come up looking for a home in rescues. When they do they are usually rehomed within the sheltie community for example a breeder had to give up her 4 shelties recently because she became sick. All 4 were found homes with other breeders within a week.

If someone is dead set on having a dog of a certain breed but the breed rescues never have one in or never have enough in for the waiting list or if someone is dead set on having a dog of a certain breed from a puppy there will always be people that will not take a rescue dog.

I have 1 rescue and she is very sick, old and has mental problems. I love her to bits but it rips me aaprt because she will have to be put to sleep at some point and its never going to be enough time with us.

19. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

its wonderful when a breed socities bands together isn't it and does what yours have done. :D :D

If we could fight the bad (byb) and ugly with such speed it would be fantastic wouldn't it?

20. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I am sorry to hear about your rescue. we too just put ours to sleep its hard house seems strange without her. I hope that when the time comes its easy for her. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice