Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Artificial lawn

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kate_7590, Jan 6, 2012.

1. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

We're having artificial lawn installed in our back garden, because the dogs have completely destroyed the grass :lol:

Has anyone else got artificial grass?
    How do you find it? Is it easy to 'poop pick' on it?

Is it easy to install? We've been quoted about £1400 for them to install it.

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

3. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, Burrowzig's got one!

Mine is 'orchard' from NoMow. It's a fairly short pile, dense weave. I think long pile/sparse weave might be harder to pick up. Some have an infill of sand or rubber granules brushed into the pile on top of the fabric base - I could see that being harder to pick up. On mine, there's no infill so the poo just rests on top and is very easy to pick up. You can use a hose on any runny bad-tum ones!

I really like it. It looks good and neat, very practical, although you can tell it's not real grass. It's quite crunchy to walk on, like snow. You can sweep snow and ice off it with a broom, and leaves or other debris too.

One downside for me is it's not so good for wildlife as proper grass. You don't get to see blackbirds pulling worms out, or butterflies laying eggs on it. Last winter though, as I'd swept the ice off and it was the only green showing in the area, I did have a snipe trying to probe in it for food. It didn't stay long!

The laying of mine involved them going over the site with a compacter (it was bare earth), laying a weedproof fabric barrier, about 2" of gritsand all over (5 tons altogether), compacted again, another weedproof barrier, the joints glued and the edges fixed by hammering in 6" nails every 3 inches all round the edges. They normally just use 1 weedproof membrane, but it was so wet when they were doing mine the earth was sticking to the compacter so it wouldn't work. The artificial grass is very heavy - they got it out of the van by tieing the roll to a street tree and driving the van away, it took 4 big guys to shift it. I don't think I could have done it myself.

#3 Burrowzig, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  4. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Thanks for that :)
    Im going to give them a ring on monday, we have been sent samples and have chosen a really nice one. Hopfully we can have it sorted soon...our garden looks like a war zone! :lol:

5. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

someone else at the common has one and they say its the best thing ever! if i wasn't living in a rented house i'd do it in an instant, i love my garden but the grass is fast disappearing :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice