Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Artificial Grass.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by loubyfrog, Oct 10, 2015.

1. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

Has anyone got it in their Gardens? And if so are you happy with it?

DD as her parting gift before she went off to uni was to put her foot straight through the decking:Arghh so the whole lot apart from the top risen bit has been ripped up as it was clearly rotting....My fault as i haven't treated it for 2 years (hate garden jobs) Can't put turf down as we industrial weed killed it before the decking went up.

Was going to pebble it but that isn't really my thing and Bubs the dog will find it uncomfy even though he still will have the top part of decking.

sooooooooo do you like your artificial lawn? if you have dogs is it hard wearing and does it smell if they pee on it.

Think I'll get a bargain as its not exactly gardening season. found some good quality bounce back stuff for a good price...just need to find someone to install it now so before i do I'd like anyones input please.

2. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I have artificial grass and love it. Have had it a number of years, I only have two dogs now but have had five and the AG shows no signs of damage at all.
    Drainage is important or it will rot. All I ever do with mine is throw some disinfectant I bought from a dog show, smells like bubbly gum a little goes a long way, and hose down. I have heard people say they are having to hose everyday or it smells but I don`t find that, perhaps because it seems to rain so often here but mine has never smelt. Would not be without GA now much as I love real grass the battle to stop it turning into a mud bath drove me mad!

3. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yes I replaced all my grassy areas with fake grass and I am over the moon with it, wouldn't be without it now I dont think! For dogs I wouldn't have the sponge type underlay as it absorbs urine and whiffs, but you won't miss the underlay at all, mine wee's on it all the time without any effect, I'd recommend it to all, anything you'd like to know let me know :)

loubyfrog likes this.
  4. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yes I replaced all my grassy areas with fake grass, my garden has very poor drainage so real grass wouldn't survive long, I am so over the moon with it, wouldn't be without it now I dont think! For dogs I wouldn't have the sponge type underlay as it absorbs urine and whiffs, but you won't miss the underlay at all, mine wee's on it all the time without any effect, I'd recommend it to all, anything you'd like to know let me know :) I had mine via EasiGrass

loubyfrog likes this.
  5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've had mine down for nearly 5 years and it hasn't deteriorated, though I think the colour has faded slightly. Mine is laid over weed-proof membrane and a couple of inches of gritsand. I didn't notice any pee smell when I only had 2 dogs, but now I have 4 I'd say yes, it fair honks at times, mostly when the sun comes out after rain, so it's both warm and wet at the same time. It always looks neat, and can be swept with a brush or vacuumed to get rid of fallen leaves and stuff. I once had a guy fall off his bike on the canal towpath at the end of the garden when I was hoovering up some sawdust from a log-cutting session, he looked back for too long!
    [​IMG]

#5 Burrowzig, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
    loubyfrog likes this.
  6. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

Sorry but I don't like it at all. It's OK for football pitches & places like that, but no wild life can survive in a garden with artificial grass.

loubyfrog, catpud and MollySmith like this.
  7. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Agree completely, lawns are huge areas of biodiversity and aid water drainage. If you must do it at leat offset it or look at alternative plants that provide lawn cover or a tougher type of grass. It seems vain and lazy to me, with no consideration to the environment.

Jazmine and Valanita like this.
  8. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

I dont think it is vain and lazy what so ever, I spent a lot of time trying to make my real grass 'take' and would have happily kept it if it wasn't a huge mud bath always, fake grass is a god send for people who just cannot physically spend time cutting their lawn every few weeks and struggle to cope with it. I still have wild life using my garden, I have plenty of birds visit, I have hedgehogs visit, I have wall lizards visit, I have tons of caterpillars, bees, wasps visit as not all my garden are fake grass just parts, I still grow shrubs, plants, trees etc, I am a huge wild life lover however I don't think I will ever be without fake grass now.Personal choice.

MoggyBaby and loubyfrog like this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Hilarious!

10. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

As you say, personal choice and I think it's vile stuff.

Valanita, loubyfrog and Jackie99 like this.
  11. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Just to also add that the practice of growing a lawn is organic and that making things into plastic is not so as well as losing the biodiversity of the lawn (@Jackie99 the other wildlife in a garden isn't the same as that found in a lawn) there is an impact in the creation of the product. At least find a type that gives a second life to waste products.

Valanita likes this.
  12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Simply untrue. I also have trees, a bog garden, a veg patch and fruit area. I have plenty of wildlife. It's just the few species that can endure regularly mown grass that are different. Leatherjackets, for instance. They are in no way endangered, and I still get more than enough crane flies in the house.

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

When I bought my house, the garden had been neglected for many years before being cleared with a digger (the previous owner did that, he was planning on living there himself, with his partner but he died suddenly and his heirs decided to sell). It was run through with equisetum (the worst weed available), with , bramble, creeping sorrel, mint and other nasties. The best solution I came up with was to suppress them all with artificial grass and it's worked really well. Last year I took up an area of it to create the veg patch, and all those weeds had died out. It also works well with 4 dogs running about on it, and doing agility training. Real grass couldn't stand that. And it has drainage holes every few centimetres; drainage isn't an issue. Vain and lazy? For me, it's a practical solution, and I'm not lazy - I work as a gardener and mow several lawns a week!

MoggyBaby and loubyfrog like this.
  14. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I think we can all have our own opinions and it's good to hear yours burrowzig.

15. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I meant a garden like the OP's which seems to be all artificial grass. You obviously have a large garden with plenty of space for a lawn & other plantings.
    We haven't actually mown our grass for a while, though Son does strim it sometimes. It's a haven for insects, slow worms & other creatures. Our garden is a wildlife area.

MollySmith likes this.
  16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I wish it were large! It's just a bog-standard size garden that came with a 1930's ex council house. The trees are planted in the grassed area, and the bog garden is the canal bank that forms my boundary. The veg patch is tucked behind the garage. All south-facing and a nice situation. I couldn't do with no plants, but my flower areas are small so I'm very selective over what I plant. Latest was a fig tree. Front garden was paved over when I got the house, just a camellia there, but I've taken up most of the paving (just enough left for my car), and the rest dug over and planted with ferns, ornamental grasses and Japanese maples - it faces north. The artificial grass I took out of the back to make the veg patch at the back has gone down there to make a central green patch.

lorilu likes this.
  17. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

You have a canal behind your garden. Wow! We have a brook that runs at the back of ours in front of the boundary hedge/bank. I wanted to make it a feature of the garden, by having it dug party out to make a natural pond, but it slopes down so much it couldn't be done. The house at the top of our hill have done that, but their garden is much flatter there.

18. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes it is quite 'wow' - and the reason I bought the house despite it being smaller than what I was looking for. I love having the colourful boats go by, the towpath is on the far side but easy to get to, and there are loads of ducks and swans about. I've had heron and kingfisher visit the garden, and one brief but definite sighting of a water vole. Next door had his fish pond robbed out by an otter, and they've been seen in the area though not by me.
    On the far side of the canal is a field, about 3 acres, where sheep or cattle graze, so it's a lovely open situation despite being surrounded by a large council housing area; most now in private hands but not all.

Valanita likes this.
  19. loubyfrog

loubyfrog PetForums VIP

Thanks for all your replies whether you're a fan or not.

I'm getting artificial grass on the bottom of the first garden ( I have two cos i'm greedy.....Donkeys years ago a landowner gave each of the house a extra piece of land which is now on the deeds but because of access needed for a couple of neighbours I don't want to turn it into one garden) Anyway I'm getting it done end of November which is a pain as the mess atm is unbearable but sure it will be worth it in the end.

I'm not a gardener at all.....some of us enjoy it but sorry I don't. I have a bird table and potted plants that attract bees,flutterbys and other insects buts thats it unfortunately. My first garden isnt big enough for anything else but hatching up a plan to do something with the top garden thats self maintains itself and good for wildlife too....then we'll have a garden each.

Cookieandme and MoggyBaby like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice