Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arthritis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by lisatlou, May 29, 2018.

1. lisatlou

lisatlou PetForums Newbie

Ebony my black Labrador who is 10 this year has had shoulder arthritis for four years now. The vet has prescribed Metacam but we are ow looking at herbal remedies. Has anyone had a similar situation where herbal remedies has helped?

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

There are so many You move I use but need to find something stronger we also have magnetic collar and memory foam bed

3. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Golden paste, from The Golden Paste Company, along with cbd oil, and Yumove tablets have transformed my dog. Not long after I got him aged 5 he spent over a week as an in-patient in the vets, on Methadone where he was in so much pain from an arthritic elbow flair, he couldnt walk at all.
    Last week he was at the vets for a check up and they couldnt believe he was the same dog. Hes pain-free, lively and only has a very mild bit of stiffness on a morning.
    Hes totally off metacam now. Turmeric in the Golden Paste is an anti-inflammatory and natural pain killer, cbd oil is a pain killer as long as you use one with cbda in it, and Yumove helps keep his joints moving. All natural stuff, and no more Metacam needed:)

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

There are many remedies about but alot only have anecdotal evidence that they work. Is there any reason why you are not wanting to give Metacam? There are many other medications that have been clinically tested to work so it might be worth discussing with your vet. As with any medication it is always worth measuring how much it is helping your dog by noting changes in behaviour/exercise/movements, etc. I keep a short diary to help note any changes

My dog currently takes medication & has regular physio/hydrotherapy which have made a massive difference in her mobility & maintaining muscle strength.

A website that is amazing for lots of great advice regarding medications, supplements, environmental changes, etc o help your dog is Canine Arthritis Management https://www.caninearthritis.co.uk/

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Can I ask which cbd oil you use? price and where to get it?
    my boy has real bad arthritis in his front legs.
    Thanks.

6. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Hi :)
    I use "simply green" from SimplyCBD. I use the green because its good for pain and my boy is already on Golden paste turmeric, but a lot of people use " Simply gold" for arthritis as it has turmeric added to it. It depends on the size of dog too I think?
    The green is about 15.00 for 30ml, which is amazingly good value, as CBD is normally very expensive ( Holland and Barretts is 20.00 for just 10ml), but the other reason I like SimplyCBD is because all proceeds go to their dog rescue, so its a win win for me. If you go on the SimplyCBD website or facebook and ask the owner, Brian, he will advise you on whats best for your dog, he uses it on his rescues and is very knowledgeable and helpful.

7. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Agree with everything you have said, I hear so much from other owners about they don't want their dogs on pain killers, NSAIDs when they could do their dog so much good and the dog might be suffering without - my by certainly was and the difference from day 1 on Previcox was amazing and I feel bad now looking back at video clips at the time for not getting him on the proper meds before (Vets had not suggested it). At least as a starting point can give to get pain and inflammation under control and then try out different supplements and options to enhance this and maybe then consider reducing the meds.

The CAM website/ facebook page is such a helpful/ great resource well worth a read and subscribing too. I remember one fact they quoted was in a survey I think something like 100% of vets would not hesitate to use metacam/ nsaids in their dogs if appropriate.

My boy was doing OK on Previcox and Yumove Advance, he is only 6 but was like an old dog on some days. Golden Paste did nothing for him (even the advocates agreed it may not work for everyone but started on the CBD (from SimplyCBD). Started slow and steady on the 'light' and now on the 'Green' and there has been a def. improvement, some days you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with him.

8. Bebe1

Bebe1 PetForums Member

Yep CBD oil is amazing stuff, I couldnt have afforded to have him on it if I hadnt of found SimplyCBD though, its expensive stuff, but from their company its very affordable. And helping rescue dogs, so a huge bonus.

9. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

Diet can help with arthritis too. A raw food diet helps arthritis because it is low in carbohydrates.
    High carbohydrate diets create an excessively acid bloodstream, decreasing uric solubility, which in turn leads to joint pain.
    Bones are an important part of the diet and should include joint bones for their cartilage content (high in chondroitin sulphate) and the marrow
    of bones including chicken (chicken bones have lots of glucosamine). Turkey is also a good source.
    Such a diet often does away with the need for such supplements as glucosamine and chondroitin, or lowers the required dose.
    Supplements that help arthritic pets include cod liver, evening primrose and star flower oil, vitamin C, green-lipped mussel, turmeric, ginger and boswellia (between 1/16th and 1/8th of a teaspoon only), black treacle (also known as blackstrap molasses), the herbs devil's and cat's claw.

We had an old lady with arthritis (caused by damage) in her spine (she was on a raw diet). Our vet put her on to 1 month of pain killers,with the use of turmeric included, we also increased her daily portions of jointed bones. (chicken carcass & feet), when the pain killers ran out, the turmeric and increased jointed bones continued to relieve the problem. The result was very good and her movement improved tremendously without pain.

10. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Thank you, will take a look :)

11. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

If only a raw diet was the cure all for all the things it is claimed to be. If it were I'd have 3 dogs with sparkling white teeth, no anal gland problems and no arthritic pain.

@Bebe1 I'm going to try the CBD oil for Colt my GSP, he is on Previcox and Tramadol and Yumove but his elbows are steadily getting worse.

Burrowzig and lullabydream like this.
  12. wee man

wee man PetForums VIP

My reply was in reference to @lisatiou, first post, asking, " has anyone had any situation where herbal remedies has helped"!
    I replied because "Yes" herbal treatment had helped and included a short list of some products that can help.
    I was not trying to indicate that a raw diet would repair all incidents of arthritis.:(

13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

High levels of uric acid would be to do with fish, liver and beans. Not high levels of carbs.

Same as in humans.

Please stop scaremongering. This is why raw feeders get bad press

14. TennoAkita

TennoAkita PetForums Member

We used Flexicose for pets when Kuma was having joint issues. Seemed to work. Not sure he liked the taste though. But, he was a picky boy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice