Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arthritic paws

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jules1014, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Jules1014

Jules1014 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, our 7 year old collie has been diagnosed with bi lateral arthritis in each front paw knuckles and we're devastated as she's so young. We're also frightened as to what this means for her as she gets older. The onset was sudden after having a mad half hour play with another dog. She was fine at first but then limped badly in the evening so off to the vet we went. She always seems worse in the evening and after getting up from resting/lying down. We've laid rugs down in the kitchen so that she doesn't skid any more. We're giving her 1 omega 3 fish oil tablet am, and a joint supplement with her evening meal (thinking of changing to Youmove soon). The vet wanted to put her on Loxicon long term but we've read about the side effects and because she's so young, have decided against this (do you think we've made the right decision?). Now she is limping most nights no matter how short the walk. To be honest I'm not handling this at all well. I feel confused about exercise because once she's up and walking she seems absolutely fine - then pays for it in the evening and then I feel guilty for walking her. So are long walks out? Should we stop her playing around with her buddies (which always makes her worse). I miss my running friend - and I'm so sad that I can't take her running with me any more. The vet also said she was putting on weight - due I'm guessing to us not exercising her as much. So, apologies for the ramble but can anyone help me re the exercise issue - are big walks and running out now. Anyone else had this emotional turmoil too. Thank you in advance.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Personally, id rather a short pain free (as much as possible) life that is fulfilling, than one that is micro managed and limited.

If she is that lame, and its daily, then i would give pain relief.

One of my previous dogs was on NSAIDS for over 5 years with no problems at all. He had to have drug additions nearer his more senior years, but he never suffered side effects from either.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and Blitz like this.
  3. Jules1014

Jules1014 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply Nonnie. The vet said we can give her a quarter of a paracetamol for the pain, but when we tried the Loxicom she didnt eat all day and got diarrhoea. Thank you for your advice which I take on board. I think we've decided to try the Loxicom again - perhaps it was a fluke she was off her food that day.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Loxicom/Metacam doesnt suit every dog and can cause some intestinal issues. My boy was on it for a while, but did best on Previcox. He ended up on a combination of Previcox and Tramadol.

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My eldest dog also has some arthritis in some of her toes. She's uncomfortable on hard ground, worse still on gravel, but will run about quite happily on grass or sand. She's been on Yumove for about 3 years (she'll be 11 next month). She's OK with Metacam/Loxicom for about 3 days, then it starts affecting her gut, so I only use the odd dose when strictly necessary. @Nonnie, I'll ask the vet to try Previcox next time.

6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Jack’s on the lowest dose of Loxicom and Gabapentin for his weight for his back/pelvis issue which was put down to arthritis/neurological pain. L with dinner @ 1700. G @ 0800 and 2000.

It’s worked a treat with him, fortunately with no ill effect.

He is older (11+) but as @Burrowzig says, I prefer for him to be happy and pain free for as long as possible and will worry about side effects (or change meds) if they occur in future.

Maybe consider what dose she’s on and try her on the lowest possible. It should be given with or close to a meal which presumably protects the stomach.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It should help take any pressure off the toes if the nails are kept as short as possible, so they don't come in contact with the ground.
    I wonder if padded footwear could provide more cushioning too; decent quality dog boots (Ruffwear for example) with an insole of neoprene (cut up a nice soft mouse mat) or memory foam.
    A veterinary physiotherapist might be able to come up with something, too. And if the dog finds walking too painful, hydrotherapy can keep fitness levels where they should be. And keep dog slim.

8. Nick Hanson

Nick Hanson PetForums Newbie

Jules

My lab was diagnosed with arthritis about 4 months ago. We were prescribed Loxicom and it did give him some temporary relief. I was then recommended a product called Canine Premier Flex Plus. Thought it was worth a try and I have to say we haven't looked back. The difference in his mobility is nothing short of incredible. We are about to order our 3rd tub. You might want to give it a try, google Canine Premier Flex Plus, it should come up with the website, they also do horse supplements so it might come up with that too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice