Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arthiritis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ad_1980, Jul 21, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Hey guys just a question...

for a change Dante is the topic of discussion. I have come to the conclusion (guess work really) that Dante has got arthiritis. Here are my reasons why

He's limping! He hasn't hurt himself or anything . He seems to be limping after coming home from a long walk - i actually didn't take him for a walk with me and Mika the other day because he was limping quite a lot.

Now that's my theory...what to do about it? I will be booking him an appointment to see our vet and hopefully my sister will take him this week because i can't drive to take him myself and i'm not going to walk all that way with him because he prob won't be able to manage it.

Now if he goes to see the vet and its what i think it is, will the vet give us something to help manage the arthiritis? What can i give him at the moment to help him?

I should mention Dante is 8 years old now...or 9....i think. He's not a baby anymore anyway lol

2. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

have you taken him to a vet to get him checked out? it might not be arthritis .

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

you need to read my original post a bit more carefully lol!

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

actually i did.................................:rolleyes:

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Obv not the part where it says I WILL be taking him to the vet - or getting my sister too anyway lol

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

A limp can be caused by all manner of things. Arthritis, a strain/sprain, a tumour, a fracture, a foreign body.

Theres not a lot you can give at home that will alleviate his pain. He needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible, and then go from there.

7. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

Actually i did LOL LOL.. i was going to offer some advice but hey ho......................

8. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

aw dexter :)

I wll be taking him to the vet don't worry. I just wanted to see what other people's views were.

9. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

With arthritis they tend to be stiffer after rest....takes longer to get mobile, get out of bet etc.
    To come back lame after exercise would say to me soft tissue strain/damage?
    Ur vet will probs suggest limiting his exercise if its a problem, perhaps even an xray/exam under sedation if its the stifle that sore as that may indicate a cruciate ligament problem.
    Anyhows the vet will sort him out am sure;)

10. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

you vet will probably prescribe rimidyl, previcox or metacalm ive used the first 2 and they didnt work whatsover, there are also very expensive £20 for around 10 days tablets. I was told to stop the glucosomine / chondorotin suppliments which he actually seemed better taking. Green lipped mussel, msm and cod liver oil are all untested but do give results, dorwest herbs do good glucosomine and i imported green lipped mussles from Nez Zealand better quality and just the same price as in the UK. If you use these you will at least be adding to his nutritional intake rather than the prescription stuff that act as anti inflams and anti hestamines
    :)
    it may be a grass seed/fracture/ligament damage anything really so have a look at what your vet says.

11. Emma B

Emma B PetForums Newbie

Did he start lmping after he'd rested a bit after hed got in from his long walk, or whilst he was on it? if its after it could be arthritis, other wise he may have just tweeked something. give him real short walks to try and keep him mobile with out over doing it, as well as rest, and see what the vet says, also if he has a bed that he curls up in it might help him if you make him a place to lie where he can strech out more.
    Got told my dog max has arthritis in the spine yesterday, hes preety crook at th mo, made him a big comfy bed in the middle of the livingroom as hes that long its the only place he can flop out!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice