Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arrggh work - feel free to ignore rant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lady Sol, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

I'm getting fed with my summer employers already and in theory I don't start my summer job until the end of July. They seem to go from one disorganised rush into another, and expect the people working for them in the summer to just drop everything to accomodate them. I'm used to not being paid to work the summer, in fact I paid to work for the last 5 summers for different companies. However I've never worked for anywhere so disorganised or wants so much work doing months before the start date :rolleyes:.

All of this for a minimum wage, temporary summer job in August:
    • I've had to do a day's training online - completed it all and then was informed they sent me the wrong training module to do. I've got to redo it.
    • Had to go to Birmingham for a day's training - that was not in my contract, unpaid and only announced a few days before hand. They still haven't paid my expenses (all about £2 I can claim).
    • I've got to work at Easter - Unpaid, luckily it's only 3 days, though they are making some people work 2 full weeks unpaid.
    • There is another training day - in theory in July. Unpaid. I exect the date for that one to change suddenly.
    • There is an unpaid preparation day - was meant to be this Saturday, all day, date now moved.
    • Head office don't talk to each other - Phoning them up is a nightmare, and everything has to be rushed at the last minute as they haven't communicated what is going on.
    • I have to plan all my day's sessions - in my own time, at home.
    • I have to do a first aid course - in my own time, paid for by myself.
    • I have had to apply for a CRB - no problem, filled in all the paperwork in February for them. However, the company didn't send off for it, kept informing me I didn't have one etc, when I phoned several times they couldn't tell me if it was a paperwork problem or they just hadn't received the CRB yet. Finally today have acknowledged that I have filled in the forms correctly they are just waiting on the CRB company. They won't let me work without the CRB, fair enough, but it's not my fault if they don't send off my paperwork. From my phone conversations I don't think it's just me, so I'm no sure where they are going to find a whole lot of qualified workers from suddenly if the CRBs don't come back within their deadline in 2 weeks time.
    • They want my current CRB form - Even though I need it for work every day and I can't afford to take a week off my normal, full time job to send it off to them and wait for it to come back. Especially as they won't accept that CRB to work for them anyway.
    The highlight so far came at 10pm tonight though. When they informed me I was meant to prepare work for and was expected to work unpaid on the 16th April in Nottingham. They put me working in Nottingham, not Loughborough that is much closer, as I was not free the weekend 16th-17th April or the first week of the Easter holidays. They've known this since January and it's the whole reason I'm having to drive to Nottingham throughout August. I've politely replied to their email, just waiting to see if and what sort of reply they manage to give, and whether all the replies agree with each other.

By the time I actually start working for them in the summer I will have done at least a week unpaid. Will have spent a fortune phoning them up to check ever changing details, sent a couple of weekends planning and printing stuff out at home,. Attended and paid for my own first aid training... So much for a fun summer experience :rolleyes:.

Having said that, I am looking forward to starting the actual job in July :)

2. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

rant away, it makes you feel better :)

can i be cheeky and ask what job it is?

3. Lady Sol

Lady Sol PetForums VIP

Childcare for the summer holidays.

On the brighter side, my regular agency that is in theory paying me if they don't find me work this week, still don't have any work come in for me today. So I might be paid for doing nothing for the next few hours at this rate :lol:

4. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Rant away hun!! I had my rant a couple of weeks back too, lol!

They do sound terribly unorganised, :confused:and I'd be unhappy with the situation too!! Lets hope it improves for ya :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice