Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aromatherapy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by leannelatty, Oct 23, 2012.

1. leannelatty

leannelatty PetForums VIP

Is there such a thing as aromatherapy for dogs? I would think if it works for us then them, with their amazing sense of smell then the results woould be amazing for them. Anyone know anything about it and what sort of smells evoke what sort of reactions?

2. heartagram

heartagram PetForums Member

I think they use it on the dogs at battersea dog home, at least the women did who appeared on paul o'grady's dogshow ! other than that I know nothing about it.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I saw that episode too they do use it at Battersea Dogs home. There is more on these links

Essential oils for dogs | Essential Animals

essential oils for dogs

4. Nat28

Nat28 PetForums Member

I tried using it for my dog for his sa but it didnt work :(

5. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

I've found they work really well with Rufus. I have quite a few as i'm into my aromatherapy. I use the calming oils for him as he's a bit nuts and any natural calming encouragement is handy sometimes :D He's not overly keen on too much lavender as it's a bit strong for him. But he doesn't mind chamomile and ylang ylang. I've used them in a burner and also a few drops mixed with a base oil during a nice doggy massage. I've found them very effective and he has a niiiiiiice relax. Works for me too :)

6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Yes, there is such a thing as Aromatherapy for dogs however there is something better which is zoopharmacognosy which means instead of the owner applying what THEY think is appropriate to the dog, the DOG selects what it needs.

Caroline did a lot of work with Battersea Dog's Home.

Caroline Ingraham - Zoopharmacognosy

7. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

Ooohh didn't know this was an actual thing!... Rufus selects which ones he likes and doesn't like. I let him choose as some of them might have been a bit strong for him, and he just doesn't like some and wont let me near with them. He's happy for me to use some oils though and likes to relax with them :)

8. jbw54

jbw54 PetForums Member

I tried aromatherapy on my horses especially my old pony that had arthritis and it always seems to help him.
    I sometimes put lavender in my bath water and my little guys always lie beside the bath waiting for me …..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice