Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Arnie the pup

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by kayla, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kayla

kayla PetForums Member

He was one of three pups left on a vets doorstep at 10 days old. They were hand reared by Kelly, one of the nurses at our vets and Arnie went off to a lovely home. Sadly the couple have split up and Arnie was being left home alone for long periods of time.

He is now about 6 months old and a fair bit bigger than these pics. he is a lovely boy who gets on well with all the other dogs and although he has received some training this needs to be continued.

He is a bouncy, lively lad who loves children but would not be suitable for a home with very young ones. he is being castrated today and will be off to a foster home in Swansea New pics to follow.

Little Boy Arnie taken when he first came in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

if you are interested in learning more about this brilliant dog please complete a preadoption form and Katherine, our adoption coordinator will contact you for a chat.

Pre-adoption form - www.friendsoftheanimalsrct.org.uk

2. mypets

mypets PetForums Senior

Aww he is lovely..why would anyone want to dump them...sometimes the world is so sad...hope he finds a really lovely home...:)

3. kayla

kayla PetForums Member

Foster mum says Arnie has been with us nearly 2 days now and settled in to family life very well and really is a very sweet little chap. He likes nothing more than to be around you, whatever it is your doing and has found a playmate in our 2 year old little boy and follows him everywhere.

He's very well behaved in the house but the complete opposite outside in the garden where he just charges round and round despite just being on a good long walk!

He's met other dogs while we've been out and is friendly towards them, just typically wanting to play. He's also met our cats and too just wants to play with them, although unfortunately for him, the feeling isnt mutual.

Arnie knows how to sit and we have been working on the down, stay and leave with him which he is picking up quite well and is eager to learn anything if the reward is tasty enough.

He has definately got a lot of energy to burn but as i said before, this is only apparent once you walk outside the door so this lad is going to need a home where he gets a lot of exercise to meet his needs, possibly agility classes to tie in with his eagerness to learn.

4. kayla

kayla PetForums Member

who wants new pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. kayla

kayla PetForums Member

Just another little update on Arnie from his foster mummy

I have just been stood in the kitchen drinking my cup o' tea while watching Arnie try in vain to get my 2 moggies to play with him, he must have tried every trick in the doggie book and i was honestly quite gutted for him that they, being cats, did not want to play ball. They just sat there staring at him so he's now sat next to me munching on a rawhide chew and hopefully forgotten the rejection he just faced . This episode has led me to believe that Arnie would be sound in a home living with cats.

As mentioned before, Arnie gets along fabulously with our 2 year old son (although i highly suspect this is due to the fact our little boy shares ALL his snacks with him) so again think he would benefit greatly by being in a home with a playmate, be it children or another dog who has the energy to play.

Arnie loves going for walks and exploring, i havent yet let him of lead as i know it would be a case of hunting him down for hours and hours cos this lad just wants to run...and run, and run. I have started recall training with him within the home and garden but he is no where near the point of being able to run free outside of this environment.

Poor Arnie has had a few oopsies in the house and i guess this is due to him being left for long periods of time before and thinking it is the right place to toilet. We've gone right back to basics with him and hopefully this will be sorted by the time he finds a home, if not then do please bare in mind that he may need additional guidance in this area.

Other than that, he is great in the house. He does like things to chew on so i have been using kongs and cubes to feed him some of his meals and he cant get enough of it. I've also filled empty bottles with bits of kibble and he too likes this and it keeps him interested and focused while i get on and do some much needed housework. In fact while im doing that housework (tidying up after them both) that saying 'dont ever work with children and animals' keeps popping up in my head but the results are priceless.

I honestly can not say what Arnie is mixed with....any opinions welcomed. It would be interesting to see how his sisters have turned out. I think we can outrule rottie

6. kayla

kayla PetForums Member

Arnie is reserved subject to a Homecheck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice