Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Argiope lifespans?

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Queeran, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Queeran

Queeran PetForums Newbie

So recently discovered the argiope flavipalpis (west African orb weaver) on TSSUK and can find near on no information about it. Seems like a pretty pet to own but I haven't a clue about how long I'd have it for. Any help appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I was eyeing these up, they are beautiful.

I don't know anything about them but I know Lee from TSS is one the fb group Tarantula hobbyists uk so might be worth asking on there for more info.

3. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

I would also recommend asking on Tarantula Hobbyists UK on Facebook, I'm fairly certain there are some keepers of this species on there that could give a more in depth answer.
    From my knowledge, wild Argiope tend to only live for around a year. Both males and females will typically die after breeding and a new generation takes over from them. In captivity I believe females can live a few years, especially if not bred so that they are not losing the energy it takes for that to happen. Males I believe still die after around a year old as once males mature, they tend to stop eating and spend all their time searching for a female. Same as tarantulas really, an MM tarantula is unlikely to eat or molt again after and will tend to just "waste away" as he searches for a female. Whereas females can live for a very long time, with some making 20+ years.

As mentioned, Lee from TSS is also on there and is very knowledgeable so could likely give you some further info himself :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice