UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ozzy's toileting is not going well!!!! Some days we get it right, but the last 2 days completely up the creek without a paddle ... the back door is wide open due to the weather - and still 4 wees in the dining room (unfinished concrete floor so not too much of a disaster but ....)

Yesterday we had wees, the day before poos ... I think we've cracked the poos department ... but the wee .... OMG! I am back to work from tonight, so not sure where to go from here.

Maybe the wees are because I've increased his water intake, but why can't he just go through the door to the yard.

C x

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Oh bless him.yes having more water in this weather wont help.
If it were me,id try and make the area he has access to smaller,(so if the door way to the garden runs off the kitchen,just allow him in that room and outside)using either a stairgate or closing the door.Often when little pups are running around they just forget where they are.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the room itself is 25 ft x 14 ft !!! I already have stair gates up to the lounge so he can't deface that! It will come in time I'm sure ... he is having a lot of extra water so it is my fault really! We were okay at teh beginning of the week - not 100%, but okay!

·
Registered
810 Posts
house training can take from a few weeks to a full year in some cases depending on the dog and the circumstances. be patient with him. dont tell him off when he doesnt make it outside but praise him enthusiastically when he does. also remember, just like a small child, a young puppy doesnt have full control of its bladder or bowels. try and have a set routine of toilet outside after every meal and at regular intervals. use a command word like Tiddles. or Outside when you want him to perform...he wil soon get the message.

my concern here is that your returning to work may upset him for a while so i would expect him to take two steps backwards before he goes forwards with this.

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
... the back door is wide open due to the weather - and still 4 wees in the dining room
(unfinished concrete floor so not too much of a disaster but ....)
un-finished concrete is POROUS - so Yes, this is a disaster, the odor is Permanent. :eek:

* set the pup up in a puppy-proof area
* forget the open door -
U MUST go with the puppy, to monitor + reward.

if U are not there -
U cannot praise + reward On the Spot, and U have no idea if he voided, WHAT he voided, and How-MUCH he voided:
plus U do not know if he strained, had mucus or blood in stool, diarrhea, pink in urine (blood), or any other details -
monitoring stools + urine is among the least-invasive + most telltale clues to general health.

sorry, hun :eek: no short-cuts, no self-relieving puppies... You gotta go along.
it only takes 15-WO for overnight, and generally by 20 to 22-WO for daytime... If U are good about scheduling,
monitoring, 3-AM potty trips at night, etc.

its a few months for a DECADE or more of a housetrained dog - a relatively low investment, for a big pay-off. :thumbup:
hang in there,
--- terry

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks terry - I didn't know about the concrete .... GREAT ... oh well I scrub it most days anyway ...

I do the 3am stint - and we have been dry over night like that ....

It is during the day we have problems ... but he is young i know and it will come ... he does wees and poos on our little walks so he is getting the idea of it ...

I NEVER tell him off for accidents, just get on my hands and knees and scrub (he hates the scrubbing brush!)

It will come in time ... I know going back to work will make things more difficult, but he seems dry in the crate so if problems get worse I will have to crate him when I am at work (I do 5 hour shifts) which will be a bit of a long time for him. The kids are doing their best, but I can't trust them totally it is not fair on them.

C x

·
Banned
19,309 Posts
how old is he, hun?

age in Mos + 1 = max# of hours between potty-trips,
so 5-hours would be a 4-MO pup; if he is at least 14-WO thats pushing it,
but he should manage.

leaving him with ICE-cubes in a bowl hooked on the crate door, and an oversized bunny-type licking-bottle on one side,
will keep him cool + hydrated without flooding his kidneys. ;)

bless the puppy,
--- terry

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did my shift at work just now got back ... to find an interesting scene that I still need answers to!!!!

An empty house, no kids that is ... who were instructed if I went out to put dogssssss in the cages - so I find a couple of wee patches, Meg not in the cage, ozzy in the cage .... no poos ... and all calm and quiet.

Just took them both for a walk up the hill (too hot to go far), all done poos and wees and now just trying to kill each other play fighting....

The trouble is I don't know how long in cage...

i hate it when kids start growing up and go out without telling you!

They will be back later so I will find out theren, but as far as i can see the arrangement worked.

C x

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Umm cage the kids too so they can tell you :D
Ok mabey not. I wouldn't stress too much, my mum is having a nightmare with her girl who is 9 MO. Some just get it quicker than others. As we didn't get Harvey until 11 WO, the initial get up for a wee in the night had been grown out of, and he picked it up really quickly, but we have the door open all the time unless we are out or asleep. Even crating didn't help my mum.
As for your floor try scrubbing in biological washing powder in the water. Should remove odours that he can smell and you cannot.
Hope he gets it soon :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.