Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Argh pet insurance. help please :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ducky, May 1, 2011.

1. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

iv never had pet insurance before (and thankfully never needed it anyway) but iv decided i think i will insure kody.

iv had a look about and its like a total minefield! i dont really know what im looking for, but im sure i want life cover? but i cant seem to find that option anywhere. i also dont want to pay through the nose for it.

can anyone point me in the right direction of a good insurer that does life cover?

2. I hqave one with Green Bee (john lewis) never claimed - but have read very good reviews!
    The other I have with JBi - which specialize in insurance for the armed forces - so not sure if it is available to the public! But WE have claimed twice and they pay out mega quick with NO problems but their cover is not so high as some of the high street names! But honestly cannot fault them!

another oth a looky is the NFU - but not available online - you will have to call the office!

3. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Life cover is the one you want; I have life cover one with AXA and one with M&S, both cover for £7k a year for as long as I am with them.

Other policies may cover a certain amout per condition and when its spent its spent, and others just cover a condition for the first year.

I cannot fault M&S in terms of paying out and customer service, my dog has had about 8 thousand in vets bills since we have had him and they have been great; but they really seemed to hike up prices recently; although I haven't yet been affected but its too late for me to change has he has too much wrong with him.

I swapped the other dog to AXA as same policy as M&S and costs me £8 less per month, but not had to claim yet.

4. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

I have taken out Petplan insurance. I've got life cover and the terms and conditions seem pretty straight forward to understand. I've gone for the top policy simply because Harvey is a large breed and from the research that I did treatment for some things could cost a fortune so wanted the maximum cover. Good luck with your search but watch out for the small print!!! You want each and every new condition covered for life not for 12 months!!

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Argos also do a life time cover i believe. I have had them pay out before with no problem ( when Harry got poisoned and died :crying:).... it just took them about 6 weeks :rolleyes: I'm about to put another claim in this time for Enzo we will see how this one goes !

6. xamtex

xamtex PetForums Newbie

i have argos lifetime cover for my rottie pup max...not had to use it yet and i hope i never have to find out just how good it is?

7. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Have a look at the insurers on Dog Insurance Compare. The companies there are all known to OK. You are right to go for 'lifetime/lifelong' cover. Decide what cover you want and then get quotes. Remember most companies will also give you a discount for buying online.

8. Faithy5690

Faithy5690 PetForums Junior

Hi, :001_smile:

I am in exactly the same situation as you i have looked at sooo many insurers. I, like you am opting for life cover as i think this is best, at the moment i am going to go with john lewis as this seems the best all round for me.I have also looked at vetsmedicover which insure any dog for £18 per month no matter what the breed etc, they also cover for £10,000 vets fees but they don't cover on things like the death of the dog or if it is lost or stolen so if you don't feel you need thesec overed then it would be a good option for you. I know that there a a lot of vets who recommend petplan, however when getting a quote with them they do seem extremely expensive. My friend is with computerquoteinsurance.com and these paid out quickly for her when they claimed but again it is fairly expensive for lifelong cover but reasonable if you don't require life cover.

Anyway, that's my advice! :001_smile: but make sure you read the policies before making a decision and look at what options are best for you and Kody :001_smile:

9. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

Hmmmmm. computerquoteinsurance.com are a comparatively new one. Points to consider:
    • The 'life' cover is actually 'per condition'
    • The underwriters are based in Gibraltar
    • The excess, once your pet hits 8 years of age adds 15% of the claim to the existing excess of £55
    • The way the policy is drawn they can continue to charge you for the remainder of the year should your pet die. (This is not good. The Kennel Club do the same and have appeared on programmes like Watchdog because of it.)

The people who actually administer this insurance are the same ones who administer a lot of the other pet insurance schemes. I'd be a bit wary unless you can get a few good reports on them.

10. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

we are with argos platinum for all 3 of the dogs
    Had to claim last year when Percy poisoned himself and they paid out no problem and in under 3 weeks
    I find their customer service to be excellent

11. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

when i was looking on all these sites, i couldnt find any that said life cover. am i just being stupid or are they sometimes called something else?

12. Sampuppy

Sampuppy PetForums VIP

It is a bit of a mine field to be honest!! Can;t lay my hands on my paperwork right now but try checking out Petplan website and you should see about three different options of cover. Check out the difference between the lowest and the highest and it might make more sense??? Failing that - post on here again and i'll try and dig out my paperwork tomorrow and give a better explanation. I used to sell medical insurance for 'humans' and know my stuff about 'small print' etc., but don't want to give you any wrong information at this point so i'll defer until i've got the full facts from my paperwork regarding pet insurance. :)

13. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

On Dog Insurance Compare there's a table of insurers. One of the columns shows the types of cover offered. If they have 'Lifelong' against the company then they'll offer a lifetime insurance. They normally describe the policies as 'lifelong' or 'lifetime'.

However, some companies are sneaky and call their cover 'lifetime' when they are actually offering a 'per condition' policy. If you look on the website above and go to 'Important Stuff' it explains the difference. The insurers table on the website accurately names the policy types - despite what the company may call it.

Where the company offers more than one insurance the safe bet is that the most expensive/comprehensive will be the lifetime policy.

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I put a claim in at the end of January took them til about three weeks ago to pay out :mad:

I'm glad they did pay out but it took bloody forever and I was stressed all the time thinking what if they try and get out of paying. They said they have been hugely busy all through Feb but mine went in January anyway..! :rolleyes:

I think their customer service is quite poor, I had many people palm me off on someone else or lie to me. I was told my claim would be processed super quick towards the end of Feb and would be done in four days. Sure as hell wasn't and then I got told nobody would ever promise me a timescale but someone else did of 5-10 working days a couple weeks later and it did happen in that time.

I doubt I would use Argos if I could go again to be honest but now Rupert has had a claim with them he wont be covered for even more of his problems if I move.

John Lewis are meant to be good I think, I would probably go for them. I mean Argos will pay out but it will take forever. If your dog gets hurt you have to pay the vets fees up front be they £200 or £2000. Imagine waiting as long as I did for a few thousand back :eek:

Out of 10 I would give them 6.

15. Agadoo

Agadoo PetForums Junior

If you're looking for lifetime cover, know that Argos only offer lifetime on their Platinum policy. Silver and Gold cover are restricted to 12 months only.

Other companies you can consider for lifetime are Aviva, John Lewis, Vets Medicover and even Homebase.

16. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

In most cases the lifetime cover is only offered as the most expensive option. That's why you need to read the policy - so you can be sure you're getting exactly what you need. I've got 11 insurers on my site that do lifetime and I've got a couple more waiting to go on - if they check out OK.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice