Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Aren't dogs wonderful?!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karenmc, Feb 21, 2021.

1. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

It never fails to amaze me how intuitive animals are. Luna is a Golden Retriever which are known as being friendly, good natured dogs (of course we know dogs are all individuals and can not generalise).Today on a walk we met a lady with her little girl (approx 3). Luna is a young dog still who loves to meet people and we make sure we hold her back and ask for a sit so she doesn't jump at people (as she would in her enthusiasm). We all said hello and the little girl was walking behind her mum, who was pushing her trolley. My husband let them know she is friendly and young. The lady gave Luna some fuss and asked if her little girl wanted to stroke her. As giddy as Luna can be, as soon as the little girl approached, she sat as calm as can be and let her stroke her head, just giving her a little nudge on her hand with her nose. I love how dogs seem to instinctively know how to act around different people. The little girl said 'I want a dog like this one!'.
    My husband also takes Luna to his elderly mum's house each day. He calls in throughout the day to check on her as she has Alzheimer's. Again on the visits Luna is friendly but never jumps up or gets giddy.
    Dogs really are wonderful!
    She is continuing to enjoy her evening freedom now and is currently snoring beside our bed!!x

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

She sounds as if she will turn out to be as wonderful an ambassador for her breed that my Alfie was. I can't tell you how many dog fearful children he won round, even one that lived in total terror of all dogs except Alfie. Not only that but the fearful puppies and rescue dogs he helped.

Goldens particularly are amazing for things like that. I think the teddy bear looks help ;)

Ellie&cats, Sarah H, margy and 3 others like this.
  3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

On a similar note, murphy has this intuition round kids in my house and it never fails to amaze me either. I never taught it. Not knowingly anyway.

If young kids come in, who are maybe just a bit more run about and unpredictable in their movements, he will just stay behind a chair in our livingroom out of sight.

But if i have a group of older ones maybe 8 to 10s all sitting round in a circle on the floor, he loves to take a place in the circle and play any circle games. He is really good at just fitting in.

As soon as anything gets too much, he takes himself away. He also knows instinctively which children are comfortable around him and he will stay behind the chair over many visits until he senses the child is settled.

Amazing really.

Like Luna, he was like that with kids from early days. He was a nippy pup but was able to restrain himself with our then 4yr old, though he was happy to nip all of us for a good while

4. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

It's amazing isn't it. Dottie loves people, especially children I have lots of nieces and nephews and she adores them, she hates wearing a coat and isn't particularly cuddly with me but she'll happily trot round the house wearing an Elsa dress as part of a game! She actively seeks them out to join in it makes me sad as she can't see them at the moment and has started whining and pulling towards children when we take her for a walk.
    She was also brilliant with my elderly nan I would take her in to the care home where she would trot around and greet all the residents, she's a pretty full on dog but when she was there she was always calm and quiet. You'd never believe it was the same dog when she's got her aggressive rat catching head on!

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

They always surprise me how in touch they are with us, I remember coming from hospital after having a Stroke and our crazy teenager turned into the most loving and caring dog over night always watching me, walking with me so I could put my hand on his head and fetching OH if he thought there was something wrong with me. It was a comfort to know he was there, I miss him so much now.

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

What a sweetie :)
    Have you considered doing therapy work with her? I think in the UK it's called PAT - Pets as Therapy? There are some programs where children who are reluctant readers read to dogs. The dog's calming, non judgemental presence helps them develop better reading skills :) All Luna has to do is sit with a child while he/she reads to her. Most of the therapy dogs love it :)

7. karenmc

karenmc PetForums VIP

She is usually very giddy and bouncy so I would not think of her as a candidate for therapy training. She just surprises me when around people where she needs to be a bit more careful. It's as though she just knows. When she is a bit older and I might ask our head if I could bring her into my class to hear the children reading. They would love that! Our head loves dogs!

8. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

Truely amazing.
    Bungo reacts differently around young children and seems to know if someone is unstable on their feet.

karenmc likes this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I don’t know whether it was just a chance meeting or what.

When Isla first came home at 8 weeks, a friend bought her grandson round to meet Isla. He was only 3 but very dog savvy as they had a large breed dog at home and his other grandparents also had the several of the same breed as well. He knew not to run about and be silly and just quietly sat down on a low step. Isla who was a bit giddy about having visitors went over to the little boy and sat beside him leaning against him. I just wish I had the phone to hand for a picture as it was so lovely to see the two of them quietly sat together.

Isla does seem to genuinely like children and is happy for them to make a fuss of her whilst she stands quietly, but she is older of course. She doesn’t get to meet that many though as we don’t have grandchildren.
    My last two goldens were the same as Isla happy to stand quietly whilst children stroked them

Ellie&cats, DaisyBluebell and karenmc like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice