Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Areas in England

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Maiisiku, May 25, 2010.

1. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

After being totally misrable doing my degree I decided it was time to leave... so I'm going to do a degree in something else compleatly. Most of the universities that do my course are either very far upnorth for example Hull, Lancashire, Newcastle etc. Or in Cornwall (where I have family) or London.

I'm wonding if anyone can share their experiances living in difirent areas because moving away seems quite daunting. I don't really want to move to London because it's too city for me... I was considering Cornwall as a first choice and then prehaps Hull as a second. Mainly because I can still visit for reasonable trainfairs to Berkshire.

Anyone who chooses to share experiances I'd really apeciate it! I know theres some students around here too :D

2. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

It's always a tough decision to make when it comes down to moving away from everything you know to everything you don't know. Unfamiliar territory does not provide that inner comfort and often leaves us feeling a little insecure and lost. People like routine life styles and rarely deviate if they can help it from its seemingly attached security. I'm originally from Kingston upon Hull (Born and dragged up there ;)) formerly a fishing town but now an up and coming modern city. For the most part the inhabitants of Hull are a really friendly and accommodating people. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule and there are certain areas one should really STEER CLEAR OF!:rolleyes: Night life, if you're a student who likes to visit pubs and clubs, is varied and very interesting. The city centre, if you like shopping, also provides a wide choice of famous names as well as the not so famous names.
    There's lots of Museums and an Art gallery too just in case you have an interest in them. Travel to and from Hull via rail provides excellent connections to anywhere in the country. I used to use the Trains a lot myself to travel to Burton upon Trent before I finally moved there. Twice! :confused: What a quaint little town on both occasions. ;)
    I'm presently living in Finland and wonder if my days of being a nomad are over? Personally I've been fortunate to have never been handicapped by the apprehension of moving on and I think it's all down to an impulsive philosophy of J.F.D.I (Just [email protected]@#¤g Do It)
    Student accommodation is aplenty but once again you have to be very careful about areas. My advice would be to try and secure an appartment near or around the University itself which is situated on Cottingham Road.
    Failing that, STAY WEST OF THE RIVER! There's some funny folk that live east of it. God only knows why they put the bridges in? Perhaps it was because the westies could go and see how fortunate they were in life? ;) I would try any other location than Spring Bank Avenue itself.
    After an absence of some years I returned to find the area had been taken over by some rather unsavoury characters and the locals were none too happy about the situation either.:frown:

3. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I had a mate who lived in cornwall for a year, she is a real action girl (rock climbs, kayakes, keen swimmer, surfs...) and she loved it .......... in the summer! In the colder months she was very very very bored, as the whole area pretty much shuts down! But she only knew a limited number of people - if you were at uni there would be other people you know so would probably have a better time of it hehe

4. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Before I even read the replies, I'll tell you this much...please don't even consider Hull. It's a dump. Really. It is. The only reason they have the Humber bridge is so that regular people can get out of there faster. I lived there around 10 years ago, and I was in one of the "nicer parts" called Anlaby. But even that was a dump.
    A friend of mine living in Leeds is currently working in Hull (travels there each day by train) and he says it hasn't changed at all. Do you know that you can't even get a BT line or Virgin Cable TV in Hull? Honestly, it's that backwards.

You mentioned Newcastle and obviously, me being born and brought up there, I have some experience of the place. It's a really friendly city with a lot of culture going on right now. Many students from "dan Sarf" who studied in Newcastle speak very highly of their time there. It has good transport links and a warm welcoming atmosphere. It is a long way from home for you though...unless you like driving, and the winters there are bitterly cold (we actually call the weather there "baltic" in Winter).

Start moving back down the country towards Lancashire, which you also mentioned, and the climate improves somewhat. Avoid Manchester if you don't like cities too much, but you could give Liverpool some thought as it's slightly smaller and very similar in attitude to Newcastle. Some of the student places here years ago were places I'd be afraid to go walking even if I had my dog with me, but the last 5 years has seen a huge build of purpose built student accommodation right next to the main campuses.

Cornwall is somewhere you can go when you're grey and old, but if you prefer a more sedentary pace of student life, it might be a goer.

One other place you should consider (if they do your course) is Cardiff. It's close enough for you to get home, but lively enough for you to feel young.

Best of luck though, whichever place you decide to end up in.

;)

5. vickie1985

vickie1985 PetForums VIP

dont go to Hull, awfull place to be.

Come to Lincoln if your gonna go North :)

6. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Don't go to UCLAN - Its crap! And Lancashire is a dump (specifically Preston)! I have lived there and work there!!!!!!! Crap nightlife aswell! I moved there and didn't know anyone, which was daunting!

Liverpool is a nice place with several good unis, I live about 20 mins away from there! There is good nightlife aswell, and the universities are quite widely respected. The universities are in the city centre rather than the the scummy areas, and its easy to find your way round, and close to Lime Street Station where you can get the national trains e.g. London rather than the locals.

7. Zaros

Ah the dictates of assumed rank and its attached conceit!:rolleyes:

Been borne an bread in 'Ull I'll try my bestist not to apere bakwuds and my evun more bestist not to rite sware words and sownd retareded like I mite bee.

Anlaby was never considered to be a 'nice area' by anyone other than those who lived there. So if you insist to apply your opinion as a comparison in relation to where you lived prior to moving to Anlaby then I might conclude that you actually lived somewhere notoriously Sh1tty! The snobby people who lived in the oppulent surrounding areas of Southella, Kirkella, Hessle and the bordering Anlaby common disliked this area intensely because it was predominantly council owned. Just as many other areas of 'Ull still are. Quite obviously you have no idea of how the City or its people suffered the deprivation of being an inner city for many years or how it rose from the ashes of its own poverty to become an up and coming modern city of commerce for the future. Gone for example, is the fishing industry it's fleets of trawlers and the hundreds of men who risked their lives to put food on the table for their families. Suffocated by bias legislation which restricted and denied fishing rights depriving them of quotas and and invaribly their livelihood. An industry and a way of life neglected and sold out by an uncaring goverment. Gone is the reminder that they ever existed at all save for one museum and a single statue which stands in remembrance of the many lives lost at sea. Backward the city may have been in your estimation and backward its people yet these folks stood proud and determined against the onslaught of harsh times and were from an era the likeness of which will never be seen or experienced again. Kingstown Upon Hull, no longer recognisable to one of its sons, yet it still remains recognised throughout its long distinguished history. :thumbup:

As for BT, they're not happy bunnies because Hull has its own communications system (Kingston Communications) which BT are dying to get their hands on!

#7 Zaros, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  8. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Thanks so much for your experiances :) At the moment I'm steering more toward Cornwall college for a foundation degree and then commuting to Plymouth for the 1 year top up from Cornwall as I'll be moving after I actually get a degree. I have the ucas points, sadly do not have a portfolio so I have to do a year portfolio building course (also missed the ucas deadline).

Firstly I am old, maybe not in years! I'm 25 and I don't go out drinking! I'm more of a sit on the beach and enjoy the veiw type. I love painting and drawing and I feel Cornwall has a lot to offer for me particulary with St.Ives and other areas. Of course there are other universites that do the Foundation degree in animation such as Newcastle. I've been to Sunderland and I liked it there but it was too city for me really. I don't really like where I live at the moment because I'm in terraced housing, it's overcrowded and very noisey.

I am cautious about going really far up north because my granddad lost my nan this year and I would like to be able to visit even if it's once a month.
    Love to hear more stories about moving though! I have to have more than one university on my ucas list!

Edit: Can't stay in student halls as I have a daughter.

#8 Maiisiku, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  9. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

Nah come to London, its not that bad really!

Saying that I studied at an agricultural college out in the sticks in Kent. But I love London, and there is greenery to be found if you know where to look.

10. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I'm not a student, but we moved here from the London area 30 odd years ago & I never want to go back.
    Cornwall is a lovely county & given that you are a mature student, you should like it there.
    Plymouth does have night life if you can get out sometimes. There's always the cinema or the theatre as well.
    I don't live actually in Plymouth, though I do go there a lot & I wouldn't want to move anywhere else.

11. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I'm applying in September, and applying to Myerscough College, Preston. I don't mine Preston to be honest, and I also wouldn't be staying in halls, as we have Holly. I don't really have any advice though.

12. lifeizsweet

lifeizsweet PetForums VIP

I've moved to different areas and it's been fun getting to know new places. I'd move to somewhere like cornwall and devon in a heartbeat!!

I must admit though recently i've grown to love the part of berkshire i'm in - are you in Reading?

13. bullet

bullet PetForums VIP

My niece goes to Bournmouth, not too far from Berkshire:)

14. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Like I said to the original poster...Hull is a dump. The quoted post proves it! The author now lives in Finland, after trying to move away from Hull twice before that! LOL So it seems that not even people who profess to like Hull will consider actually living there! Even the BBC agrees ... BBC NEWS | UK | Hull 'worst place to live in UK'

I generally found people from Hull had a massive chip on their shoulder and the ones who ended up getting an education thought they weren't just above others from Hull, but above everyone (i.e. the chip was still there).

The only nice place I found in Hull (considering people living there told me I was in one of the nicer parts, which turned out to be a blatant lie) was a place called Beverley...30 minutes away from Hull. It seems that others on this thread agree with me. :thumbup:

From what you've written about your interests though, I would definitely say Cornwall would be an ideal choice for you! I hope it all works out really well for you!

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

My brother went to Bournemouth year before last. :) He loved it but not sure he actually did any work :rolleyes:

16. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

Yes, It's alright here. I prefer slightly less 'town' places to be honest. I grew up not far from Reading. I spent a lot of time in Cornwall as I do have family around St.Austel. To be honest there are only 2 family members I'd really miss as I never see the rest of them anyway. So it wouldn't be so bad.

17. Zaros

I moved away from Hull because of reasons I am not obligated to disclose on a public forum. But then I don’t have to justify those actions nor their reasons to anyone at all. My reason for moving from England, however, was simply because the supposed ‘Land of hope and glory’ was being systematically drained of all hope. Whatever glory was to be found in the declining isle existed only on Saturday and Wednesday evenings when some fortunate soul won the lottery jackpot subjecting the remainder its population to overwhelming disappointment, resentment and the shackles of a treadmill they were so desperate to break free of.
    Of course I could expand my views and opinions of Newcastle, another place I lived for a short period, but I won’t because one really shouldn’t mock the afflicted. Should one. :p
    So with regard to respective hometowns or cities I wouldn’t cling to aspirations you’re incapable of holding. :rolleyes:

18. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Newcastle is a fantastic place. I did my degree at Newcastle Uni. Best years of my life. :)

19. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

LOL! That post made me giggle. It really did. Especially the reference to the national lottery draws!

Regarding the other points raised though, I really wouldn't be bothered if any poster slated Newcastle, or any other place they've lived for that matter. I would assume they were just responding to the original brief, "I'm wonding if anyone can share their experiances living in difirent areas...Anyone who chooses to share experiances I'd really apeciate it!".

My experience of Hull was not as rosy as yours (obviously), and I shared that. I cannot help my experiences.

But please don't feel that I judge you or that I am somehow attacking you personally. My gripe was with a place called Hull, not a poster called Zaros.

Thanks.

20. classixuk

classixuk PetForums VIP

Ha'Way the lads! LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice