Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Area around dog’s neck has turned red

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Areesh Imran, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Areesh Imran

Areesh Imran PetForums Newbie

Hi! So my dog has always worn a collar and for three years, she never had a problem. Her skin was perfectly fine. During the beginning of this month, her old collar broke and we decided to get her a new one. Keep in mind, the skin around her neck was still alright. We put on the new collar and in a week, we noticed the skin around her neck getting red. We immediately ditched the collar. We haven’t put on a collar on her ever since but it’s getting worse each day (it’s been two weeks now.) I don’t think it’s itchy though because she does not scratch there. She’s a labrador. I’ve attached the picture below. The vet told us it’s just allergy and all we can do is put organic coconut oil on the area affected. We’ve started doing that. It might be just me but I feel like it’s worsening. I’ve attached a picture below. If anyone can, please help! I doubt it’s just allergy.

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It could be an allergic response to the collar but I’m surprised the vet just suggested using coconut oil.

That looks quite a extreme reaction and the skin looks sore so I’d expect the vet to prescribe something else tbh.

I’d get on to them today.

Torin. likes this.
  3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Looks like she has possibly picked up a bacterial skin infection. It appears very similar to wet eczema.

I would go back to the vets and say you want some treatment. Coconut oil wont do diddly squat for that; half the claims for that stuff have no evidence to back them up.

caterpiller, Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Areesh Imran

Exactly what I thought! We’ve trusted this vet for awhile now and it was surprising when he suggested coconut oil. I’ll be taking her to another vet soon

5. Areesh Imran

It seems like it. I don’t trust coconut oil either. I’ll take her to another vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice