UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Millie and Lottie have been on raw for 8 weeks tomorow and its gone really smoothly this time :thumbup: they have eaten everything once (apart from duck which they just wont touch...) but I have noticed a pattern forming...that they both refuse to eat certain things were as before with kibble Millie ate whatever I gave her like she had been starved for years :rolleyes:

I have noticed that niether of the girls like the 'bloody/little bit slimy' minces from DAF (meaty mince, beef and are a bit picky with lamb but will eat it sometimes) and they wont touch the tripe either mince or chunks :( but they LOVE chicken mince and rabbit mince which are both a bit 'drier' than the others...they also love the beef chunks and AP minces (chicken, lamb, rabbit and tripe). Millie wouldnt touch raw fish (she likes tinned in tom sauce) but Lottie loved sprats the first time and then turned her nose up the second time after a bought and froze 1kg of them :lol: but she too likes tinned fish.

So if you have dogs that are a bit selective in what they eat do you keep offering them the things you know they havnt eaten ion the past or do you just accept that they dont like them? I have a freezer full of minces at the moment and probably half are things which I have tried and tried them with and they wont eat :( I need the space for my next R2P order!! :rolleyes5:

I also tried them with pigs trotters which just caused arguments and niether of them ate much of...they just dig the garden up burrying them out there and then argued everytime they went out as to who was going to dog up which one :rolleyes5: so im deffinatly not in a hurry to give those again...I had to go out there and excavate the garden :p

We feed mince for the morning meal and then normally a bonier meal in the evening (lamb ribs, beef bones, chicken carcasses/portions etc).

Does it sound like they are getting enough variety? honistly I think i would switch to all AP minces of they wernt so expensive!! :yikes:

ETA I supplement with salmon oil, vit E and OEP.

Just need some reassurance that we are doing ok...we might be taking on a new boy at the weekend who is kibble fed (nothing specific whatever is on offer) and I will be switching him to raw right away if Millie gets on with him on saturday.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
My raw fed dogs` tastes changed - as they got used to different foods they became less picky. You may also have to adjust amounts and be prepared for the occasional fast day from them as Raw seems to satisfy for longer.
So don`t throw anything out - try it in a while. Perhaps when they`re particularly hungry, or mixed in with something they really like?

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I agree with Claire - as time has passed my dogs have got less fussy. They've been raw fed full time for about 4 years now and were quite picky when it came to offal and the more unusual meals such as squirrel but they eat most things with relish now, still a bit finicky with raw fish though. Jessie will eat anything that is put in front of her, she doesnt care what it is whereas Flynn is probably the fussiest and still wont touch some things (e.g day old chicks).

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Mine wasn't keen on fish at all, she would pick at it then just leave it. Now though she eats the whole fish if its frozen.

She also has to have kidney frozen otherwise she won't touch it :rolleyes:

Good luck on your hopefully new boy, what breed is he? :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all :) I will keep trying then..I didnt really want to get rid of it but I feel mean picking out stuff I know they probably wont eat...although i do get all squeeky and excited at breakfast time to try and encourage them :eek: :lol:

Good luck on your hopefully new boy, what breed is he? :)
Another lurcher...they think saluki x grey like Millie :001_wub: Just need to make sure that Millie gets on ok with him!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
When I started mine on raw 2 out of 3 took to it quite well, but Flint was very concerned about it.
He wouldnt touch offal of any kind and refused the chunks, which resulted in few 'starve days'. Now however he will eat anything apart from fresh whole fish.
The other 2 will eat absolutely anything.

Maybe if you feed slightly less they will eat whats put in front of them :)

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
Yep Dougie is fussy, won't eat tripe at all, kidney or liver has to be flash fried but he will eat heart ok he is not very keen on rabbit either. Everything has to be very fresh won't touch anything a bit whiffy - raw fish he just barks at :D

Also what I think is probably quite unusual he has come across a freshly decapitated pigeon (dad reckoned hawk or something did it) and a recently deceased myxy rabbit - just took a sniff and backed away

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Millie and Lottie have been on raw for 8 weeks tomorow and its gone really smoothly this time :thumbup: they have eaten everything once (apart from duck which they just wont touch...) but I have noticed a pattern forming...that they both refuse to eat certain things were as before with kibble Millie ate whatever I gave her like she had been starved for years :rolleyes:

I have noticed that niether of the girls like the 'bloody/little bit slimy' minces from DAF (meaty mince, beef and are a bit picky with lamb but will eat it sometimes) and they wont touch the tripe either mince or chunks :( but they LOVE chicken mince and rabbit mince which are both a bit 'drier' than the others...they also love the beef chunks and AP minces (chicken, lamb, rabbit and tripe). Millie wouldnt touch raw fish (she likes tinned in tom sauce) but Lottie loved sprats the first time and then turned her nose up the second time after a bought and froze 1kg of them :lol: but she too likes tinned fish.

So if you have dogs that are a bit selective in what they eat do you keep offering them the things you know they havnt eaten ion the past or do you just accept that they dont like them? I have a freezer full of minces at the moment and probably half are things which I have tried and tried them with and they wont eat :( I need the space for my next R2P order!! :rolleyes5:

I also tried them with pigs trotters which just caused arguments and niether of them ate much of...they just dig the garden up burrying them out there and then argued everytime they went out as to who was going to dog up which one :rolleyes5: so im deffinatly not in a hurry to give those again...I had to go out there and excavate the garden :p

We feed mince for the morning meal and then normally a bonier meal in the evening (lamb ribs, beef bones, chicken carcasses/portions etc).

Does it sound like they are getting enough variety? honistly I think i would switch to all AP minces of they wernt so expensive!! :yikes:

ETA I supplement with salmon oil, vit E and OEP.

Just need some reassurance that we are doing ok...we might be taking on a new boy at the weekend who is kibble fed (nothing specific whatever is on offer) and I will be switching him to raw right away if Millie gets on with him on saturday.
I got my first delivery of raw last week. Half the minces she won't touch. I ordered duck wings and turkey wings but she just turned up her nose at these!

Hopefully she'll get less fussy as time goes on.

Perhaps I ought to leave it on the road to get run over. If she comes upon a long dead stinking and disintegrating road kill rabbit she tries to eat that. Only just managed to stop her eating a fortnight old dead hedgehog today! :eek:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a fussy one. She doesn't like DAF minces at all. I battled through my order with many meals missed to get her to eat it, I wasn't prepered to get rid of a whole freezer full. I haven't ordered any since though.

·
Registered
12,225 Posts
Nope. There's only Sadie who is fussy, but only when it comes to whole rabbits, because she has blunt teeth. But all the dogs here will wolf down anything given to them. However fish has to be frozen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.