UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
In principal yes; but living somewhere where they are a legal requirement I have to say that they don't seem to make any difference in terms of responsible dog breeding or ownership unfortunately.

Responsible people abide by the rules, those who think that rules are for others don't bother.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
a very expensive way of getting money out of responsible people whilst those who need some regulation will simply evade.... history repeating itself.... unfortunately

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
yes, but it will only be the responsible owners who bother to have them :(

I know my brothers dogs in Canada have to be registered and wear a "state tag?" maybe that would be more enforsable as you could see it wasn't wearing its tag? But then who would enforce it?

*Heidi*

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm sceptical about the effectiveness of a dog license, though I could be persuaded. I would have to be convinced that it is an affective way of increasing dog welfare, and preventing bad dog ownership, and not just a form of taxing dog owners, and not a bureaucratic box ticking exercise, that is largely meaningless. I also am not convinced that it could be policed wich would responsible dog owners paying for license and the irresponsible carrying on as before

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
yes, but it will only be the responsible owners who bother to have them :(

I know my brothers dogs in Canada have to be registered and wear a "state tag?" maybe that would be more enforsable as you could see it wasn't wearing its tag? But then who would enforce it?

*Heidi*
We have animal control officers in Alberta and they control it. They do a spree in the spring and pick different areas and go door to door, up until I moved to the Hamlet all my dogs had city licenses....

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
We have animal control officers in Alberta and they control it. They do a spree in the spring and pick different areas and go door to door, up until I moved to the Hamlet all my dogs had city licenses....
Thanks canuckjill, thought it was something like that :)

Maybe that would be the way to go here? :confused: it would be hard to enforce to start with alot of people not having them, but then if each puppy had to have a "tag" issued as it went to its home (like a number plate lol) it would ease up with the enforcement?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
Thanks canuckjill, thought it was something like that :)

Maybe that would be the way to go here? :confused: it would be hard to enforce to start with alot of people not having them, but then if each puppy had to have a "tag" issued as it went to its home (like a number plate lol) it would ease up with the enforcement?
We have tags here in NI; I have never seen the licensing law enforced though and see loads of dogs without licenses on their collars - Kilo has his on one only but the license number on his dog tags on the others. The tag itself is not proof of license - the paper license itself is.

Breeders have to have a license; it is an offence for them to breed without one. It is also an offence for them to sell a puppy to someone without a license (obtained by the owner in advance). I personally know a few people who have bought pups without licenses being asked for by the breeder and BYBs and puppy farms are going strong here. The country also has the highest number of straying dogs in the UK.

The only time I have had to show my license (tag and paper copy) is to join a dog training club.

·
Registered
20,322 Posts
We have tags here in NI; I have never seen the licensing law enforced though and see loads of dogs without licenses on their collars - Kilo has his on one only but the license number on his dog tags on the others. The tag itself is not proof of license - the paper license itself is.

Breeders have to have a license; it is an offence for them to breed without one. It is also an offence for them to sell a puppy to someone without a license (obtained by the owner in advance). I personally know a few people who have bought pups without licenses being asked for by the breeder and BYBs and puppy farms are going strong here. The country also has the highest number of straying dogs in the UK.

The only time I have had to show my license (tag and paper copy) is to join a dog training club.
that is really interesting Dogless. There is no point at all in bringing out regulations which are not policed. Horse passports are similar though there have been a few prosecutions and the vast majority of horses have one though very few new owners seem to change the ownership so they are fairly useless.

·
Registered
9,334 Posts
Used to be so, now not.

It ends up as an extra tax which gets "lost" Stoppt die Hundesteuer! - [dogs Magazin] is a link in german about a movement looking at getting rid of it in Germany, even taking the issue to court on "people's rights" grounds (discrimination, rights of the state to pry into personal life).

Wouldn't be so bad if the tax was spend on dog related stuff. It isn't.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I am pro dog licensing provided the money generated from it does go into policing the licenses.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
In my city you MUST have a licences for both dog and cats.

Prices differ around weather or not your dog is spayed or neutered. I think Sophie's was 30 dollars and she was spayed.

I bought in Jan this year an it wont need to be replaced for two years I believe. If anyone found her and contacted them, they have all her vet info and our info in their data base.

But I know many people who havent bothered and therefore run the risk of running into an animal control officer and be fined.

·
Registered
270 Posts
All my dogs are licensed, tho I wish they'd enforce it because everyone in my estate who have dogs don't have a license for ANY of them. Heck none of them are even vaccinated! We had a Parvo break out in the estate which killed 5 dogs, 4 adults and a puppy.

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Here it is enforced, puppies do not have to be licensed until 3 or 6 months can't remember which been out of the city too long...lol They also promote cat licenses. The money generated is used for animal control officers and the running of the animal shelter (city run)which is different than the Humane Society...I would say when I lived in the city 6 years ago about 80% or more had their dogs licensed and seniors get 1 free license if their pet is spayed or neutered...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.